F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see most are using about the same mods. What are the benefits of the following:
170* t-stat
BBK throttle body (larger)
AFE charge pipe
Aftermarket blowoff valves

I get the the race CAC, downpipes, catback, and intake. Seems like a lot of small mods that don't cost much. But gain Vs $$$? Or is this a do all mods together to see gains? I will not be buying downpipes, or a full intake so are any of these worth the money? Will tune soon btw. Thanks I'm learning.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
The mod I can comment on:
In the summer time, a 170* stat is almost a requirement. My water temps were getting way way high after doing a single hard 3rd gear run on a log. Sitting in rush hour traffic it was horrendous too.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I agree with scap, definitely come n handy towing, also the other ones are gains but not much. Just looks really cool in your signature and I figured I would try them out. I've gotten more turbo whistle with throttle body and charge pipe together and seems like more stable boost numbers holding. Hp gains are a good question. I know one guy said he gain mph in the quarter with the charge pipe

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok cool. I'll be looking into a t-stat soon then. Summers get hot as hell here in LA. Guess I'll need it.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Ok cool. I'll be looking into a t-stat soon then. Summers get hot as hell here in LA. Guess I'll need it.
Roger that.
Before I commented, I noticed you were down south, so knew you would benefit.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How hard is the t stat install? Does it come with instructions? Never wrenched on these motors before. Just my power stroke and LS motors.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
How hard is the t stat install? Does it come with instructions? Never wrenched on these motors before. Just my power stroke and LS motors.
Not hard, just awkward.
Just two bolts and it's done.
I topped off the reservoir with distilled water.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
T-stat is easy two bolts and you'll want to grab yourself some prestone orange just in case you can't catch it all. T stat is just awkward to get the bolts out, honestly a half hour job. I run mine in neg weather, its stuck twice right after we started getting cold weather, after that no problems. I will vouch for power gain with BBK TB, AFE stage 2 and blade runner. On T4 I couldn't romp the gas and break my Toyo's loose, after those three I could. I would put your money toward other things besides upgrading BOV's. DP's would be my choice.
Heres what i would spend my money on if i were starting over, SCT w/ tunes (your choice, MPT or SSI you cant go wrong with), Down pipes, 170* Tstat, CAC, after that Id look for, CAI (AFE or S&B), BBK, charge pipe, exhaust and meth.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who makes the Tstat? Part number? Thanks again for the advice all. Good to know this stuff so I can buy the right parts for me.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Reische, you can find it at MPT, Ecoboost Power Parts, SSI, and probably others. Will run you about $65ish

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You'll want your fans coming on earlier which I think is a custom jobbie

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You might be able to adjust that on our own, but I'm not positive of that. Mine was already set to come on early when I got it installed.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I thought the purpose of a lower temp thermostat was that it would come on automatically, no tune needed?????

Fan cycling is controlled by the computer, not the thermostat.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
And the thermostat "opens" mechanically at the pre-set temp rating of that particular thermostat....(which might be what miles was referring to, I'm not sure).
Yes...I knew the fans were controlled by the computer but the thermostat I thought opened and closed when it reached a certain temperature.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts