F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick FYI for you fellow members who are thinking about adding smartlink. Last friday (3/15), ford issued a stop sale and return of all Unused smartlink modules back to ford, they did not give us a specific reason for the stop sale. So as of now there is no more smart link for sale

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
That's stupid.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder what their reasoning is behind that??
my guess is lack of interest + piss poor marketing. Plus when you can get it from the factory for only $275 or so, its not worth it to pay the 600 or so to add it plus the subscription fee

the dealer where i work, we did not opt in to the program at all

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Or maybe it was flawed and people were walking out to find their trucks missing in the morning?

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
Or maybe because so many people, like me, are asking - What is Smart Link?
It's a module you can purchase that plugs into the obd2 port that gives your Ford pass app the ability to start the truck, track the truck, lock the truck, see fuel level, etc. Something like $450 iirc.

Quick FYI for you fellow members who are thinking about adding smartlink. Last friday (3/15), ford issued a stop sale and return of all Unused smartlink modules back to ford, they did not give us a specific reason for the stop sale. So as of now there is no more smart link for sale
I remember before Smartlink was a thing, there were modules we could add and a different subscription service/different app that essentially did the same thing. Is this still possible?

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Stupid question.....

My Ford Pass app does all that and I didn't purchase anything or plug anything into my odb port. So do I have something "built in"?

I also have the AT&T Sim built into some portion of the onboard electronics of the truck. I haven't ever subscribed to a data plan though because it would be incredibly redundant. I carry 2 or 3 various methods of getting cellular bandwidth with me at all times.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Stupid question.....

My Ford Pass app does all that and I didn't purchase anything or plug anything into my odb port. So do I have something "built in"?

Mine does all that as well, now I'm curious what it is

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
Stupid question.....

I also have the AT&T Sim built into some portion of the onboard electronics of the truck. I haven't ever subscribed to a data plan though because it would be incredibly redundant. I carry 2 or 3 various methods of getting cellular bandwidth with me at all times.

Yes, you have the modem from the factory as an option, and you essentially paid for it when you bought the truck. I think 2 years of service is included.

Best I can tell the modem that you have that makes this possible cannot be added after the fact. Smart link is a module making it possible to add this feature to a vehicle that didn't come with it.

My Ford Pass app doesn't really do anything except tell me about the 47 recalls I have. Lol

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Yes, you have the modem from the factory as an option, and you essentially paid for it when you bought the truck. I think 2 years of service is included.

Best I can tell the modem that you have that makes this possible cannot be added after the fact. Smart link is a module making it possible to add this feature to a vehicle that didn't come with it.

My Ford Pass app doesn't really do anything except tell me about the 47 recalls I have. Lol

2016 2.7 4x4 screw
OK. That makes sense and I should have known that since there's really no other way for all this info to hit the cloud without me connecting the truck to wifi. (which I haven't)

I have played with Ford Pass for starting and locking/unlocking. Kind of creepy. Lol

I have 4 trucks setup in it.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts

2016 2.7 4x4 screw
What I can't seem to get a answer about is what's the cost after the free two years is up... I'd like to know.

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
I believe it's $17/month, and that is how the cost if the SL module was derived. $17/mo for 24 months plus installation.

Who knows what that cost will be 2 years from now though, or if it will even still be offered.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

This almost seems to suggest that it will be free after that?

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
I know what you meant, but it's the same thing, more or less. One is paid for when you buy the truck, one is paid for after the fact. But aside from that, same two year period, same cost, yours was just included as part of your package, so I believe the monthly rates are the same.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Looks simular , I believe mine was called sync connect on the window sticker.

According to Forbes (not Ford)....". Where Ford’s approach is different from other automakers is keeping*SYNC Connect services free of charge, at least for the first five years."

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
mwemaxxowner
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing