F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

According to Automotive News, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is launching a probe into 400,000 Ford F-150 models over possible acceleration problems. According to the report, NHTSA has received 95 reports "alleging incidents of reduced engine power during hard accelerations" on 2011 to 2013 F-150 models equipped with the company's 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine.

Automotive News reports that Ford has issued three technical service bulletins "related to intermittent stumble/misfire on acceleration from highway cruise in humid or damp conditions," according to the government agency's documents. About one third of the 95 reports NHTSA has received cited humid or rainy conditions when these problems allegedly occurred.

Continue Reading @ AutoBlog.com

·
Registered
589 Posts
It will be interesting to see what comes of this. If anything it will be a recall that follows the TSB and they make the adjustments. Doesn't mean the motor is Junk or Ford Screwed anyone over. They took steps with the TSB and trying to get the dealers proactive on the units coming in with the issue and now they will prop take another step and have the owners with the possible issues come in via recall...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My guess is now that it jas reached this stage, Ford will make a "Voluntary" recall to avoid anymore bad press.

SPPD

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Wish something like this would have been done for all the 60's/70's Buicks with the distributor cap point adjustment access window pointed directly at the fan. Carried a can of WD-40 and a screw driver with me at all times for when I ran my 73 Century through a big puddle. Engine would die, I would go to the truck and get the stuff and tools, lift the hood, remove the cap, squirt the stuff, replace cap, lower hood, restart engine and drive off to the next one. Could usually hit several more before it happened again. Finally just reset the distributor position so the window faced backwards. End of problem...

·
Registered
495 Posts
95 reports out of 400000 is not even 1/2 of 1 percent.

We had over 12 inches of rain over Memorial Day weekend truck never missed a beat can't get much more humid or rainy IMO.

Nothing mechanical is perfect and I am sure FOMOCO will fix it if there is a legit ament issue. Most likely just a rare occurrence deal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think I live in the most humid and rain stricken environment of any of our members. Being stationed in Guam is like being stationed in a sauna, especially during this time of year. My '13 Limited is sexy and strong as ever!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this issue with my recently bought 2011 Ecoboost, but I took it to my local Ford dealership and they had it back to me same day. They replaced the coil on cylinders 4 and 5.

Humidity is not an issue this time of year in Arizona.

I do believe that there are many more than 95 trucks with the issue though. I'm sure they won't report mine and I'm sure many others owners haven't either.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I not saying that Janitorjohnson and others haven't had problems, but judging from the description in the suit, I don't believe that the stumble/hesitation issue that is a part of the service bulletin and the problem in the probe are the same issue.

I would bet that it's the ECU speed sensor, the truck makes so much torque in the midrange that 100 mph (the speed limiter is set there) comes far more quickly than people realize, and unlike the previous ECU's it is a very abrupt activation, it feels as if something went wrong when you come on the limiter, in the previous versions the truck just softened and wouldn't accelerate any longer, (also the Normally aspirated versions don't build velocity as quickly, so it's a bit of a mental assault when it happens) just My opinion, but I never had any unintended acceleration problems with my Audi 5000 before the NHTSA just about killed those cars because no one could understand that they were standing on the gas, and the brake pedals at the same time and if the vehicle is already moving, it's not going to slow down!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
Red whoosh
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing