F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1275 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so some may know about this some may not but it is something that is coming on strong with many showings at dealerships across America. So as most know it is timing chains that are prematurely stretching causing this startup noise. The news is that there is updated parts out there to address this and Ford now has a TSB on this issue formally admitting to it being a common problem. I go over it all in this video. There is also a link to just how it sounds in the description of the video on youtube. Hopefully more dealers will be willing to dive into the engine with some guidance from Ford now.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Ok so some may know about this some may not but it is something that is coming on strong with many showings at dealerships across America. So as most know it is timing chains that are prematurely stretching causing this startup noise. The news is that there is updated parts out there to address this and Ford now has a TSB on this issue formally admitting to it being a common problem. I go over it all in this video. There is also a link to just how it sounds in the description of the video on youtube. Hopefully more dealers will be willing to dive into the engine with some guidance from Ford now.
Could you try to find out more on when the upgraded chains were installed in the trucks? I had a dealer run my vin. I have a 14' build date 3/3 and according to build sheet, it does not have updated parts. They said however that does not mean I really don't have them. Ford could have not updated the build sheet with new part numbers aka all ecoboost build sheets state the same parts. It a large dealership and he said they have only had a few trucks come in so far with this issue.

"Think one guy says the chain on the 14 is heavier ?
For a 2014: AT4Z-6268-C for the chain, AT4Z-6K254-A for the tensioner arm and BA5Z-6L266-B for the tensioner it's self.

For my 2011: AT4Z-6268-A for the chain, AT4Z-6B274-A for the arm and BL3Z-6L266-A for the tensioner.

Notice the arm has a totally new part number. Others are just updates. I'm curious to know why the 14's get C and B versions of the parts, but they are not retrofitted to the older engines? These updates are just from the last 6 months or so. Last time I looked, there were no differences. There are additional updates to the other valve train components, but these are the three parts that I'm placing blame upon."

The same guy says "A quick G search shows others with complaints as well. Haven't bothered to read up on them to see how prevalent the problems are.. " Someone posted Flex owners and other platforms replacing the chains as well."

·
Registered
145 Posts
FYI

My truck is the example in FordTechMakulocos video. This truck had the TSB-0194 completed about 10 days ago and the problem surfaced again with less than 300km on the truck. This engine has deeper issues.

I believe it's related to the long oil change intervals Ford recommends accompanied by the fuel dilution in the oil along with soot from the turbos. These motors never had a chance.

Notice how the TSB changes from 5/w20 oil to 5/w30 and a full synthetic? What about all the guys who've been following Ford's recommendations with the 5/20? They are destroying their motor at Fords direction.

Really pissed off at Ford right now.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Great video thank you. qbfordguy seems like your the first I'm reading about that states this engine doesn't have a chance, or is it yours was built on a Friday? I'm really hoping this engine succeeds, v6 turbo is the wave of the future, maybe.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The intervals are way to long, that's not saying the 11-12 models may have had crappy chains, not sure on that one.
As a mechanic i would never go with the factory interval.
I go every 3000mi and full synthetic in mine.
Anything turbo from any other manufacture gets full synthetic from the factory, not sure what ford was doing when they pulled the semi syn crap.
O yhea, they were trying to make it cheaper for the customer to increase sales of their product.
Just remember that the manufactures are not looking out for you, they are in it for their own A**'s plain and simple.
As a consumer you need to be smarter than them and do your own research,don't just blindly go with what they say.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
FYI My truck is the example in FordTechMakulocos video. This truck had the TSB-0194 completed about 10 days ago and the problem surfaced again with less than 300km on the truck. This engine has deeper issues. I believe it's related to the long oil change intervals Ford recommends accompanied by the fuel dilution in the oil along with soot from the turbos. These motors never had a chance. Notice how the TSB changes from 5/w20 oil to 5/w30 and a full synthetic? What about all the guys who've been following Ford's recommendations with the 5/20? They are destroying their motor at Fords direction. Really pissed off at Ford right now.
Ummm I believe the f150 Eco was always 5w30.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It was 5w20 for 2011 and for at least part of 2012 I believe.

What I find odd about the timing chan issues is the Ecoboost is heavily based off of the Duratec 35, which I would assume share much of the same timing parts. So what is causing the issues to creep up on the Ecoboost and why isn't this an issue with those other motors or the 3.7 in the mustangs and base F-150s?

·
Registered
145 Posts
So what is causing the issues to creep up on the Ecoboost and why isn't this an issue with those other motors or the 3.7 in the mustangs and base F-150s?
The general consensus seems to be the following.

1. Fuel dilution in the oil.
2. Soot particles from turbos entering the oil. (very hard substance)
3. Too long recommended service intervals.

qbfordguy seems like your the first I'm reading about that states this engine doesn't have a chance, or is it yours was built on a Friday?
When you consider the fuel dilution, turbo soot and long service intervals if you follow Fords direction for maintenance your engine doesn't have a chance.

The thread about this issue over on F-150 Forums is HUGE with dozens of trucks affected. I know of at least 5 trucks now that have had a total engine replacement and coincidentally they all had this timing chain stretch issue. This motor has many troubling issues and any Ecoboost from 2011 - October 2014 can be affected as per the TSB. I expect this issue to plague Ford Ecoboosts for a few years, just watch....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hopefully not, but i have owned mine since new and treated it with full syn and syn oil filters since it's first oil change at 3500km and every 5000km's after.
If this happens to my 13 in the future i will know it is not oil or interval related.
Since i think it definitely is oil and interval related mine should not have this issue, only time will tell.

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
I believe it is 2011 only related. I havent read about anyone with 12+ have this issue.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
You are right. No idea where I got 5/20. My owners manual states 5/30. I meant to say 5/30 semi-synthetic to 5/30 full synthetic.
Maybe the SHO? I believe it was 5w20. I ran synthetic from day one, so that has me a little glad. Still not convinced that the semi or full synthetic would make that much of a difference, I think it has to do with oil change intervals. IMHO.

Edit: Dominator beat me to it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Maybe the SHO? I believe it was 5w20. I ran synthetic from day one, so that has me a little glad. Still not convinced that the semi or full synthetic would make that much of a difference, I think it has to do with oil change intervals. IMHO.

Edit: Dominator beat me to it.
I owned two 5.4 F-150's before my Ecoboost so have the 5/20 stuck in my head for some reason. I remember all the head scratching at Ford on my first Ecoboost oil change from the mechanics. I believe it's related to the intervals as well but throw in fuel dilution and the turbo soot along with the long intervals and our issue occurs.

You can go and start ANY new Ecoboost truck on the lot and it won't make this noise. So why should we as Ford customers "deal with it?"

·
Registered
162 Posts
My 2013 has been doing this rattle on cold start ups for the second day in a row today. :confused: Guess I should take it to the dealer ASAP. Hopefully they won't brush me under the rug as they seem to be doing to everyone else.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 2013 has been doing this rattle on cold start ups for the second day in a row today. :confused: Guess I should take it to the dealer ASAP. Hopefully they won't brush me under the rug as they seem to be doing to everyone else.
Damn... Best of luck to you man. They generally won't do anything until your engine throws a code once it's out +6 degrees on timing. Before that ever happens your truck will lose performance, torque and get crappy mileage. Still, they won't care until it throws a code, or you get loud and persistant enough. But here I am AFTER the fix and the noise was back within a week. I'll be putting up some more recordings soon.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I got my first 'free' oil change at the dealer and their sticker said to come back at 5000 miles or 5 months. They overfilled it by a full quart and who knows what actual weight they put in?? The sticker and the invoice said 5w30, but you know all they have is 5w20! ha, ha!! ;)

I've done 2 oil changes since then and I've only got 11,500 miles on it total.

No loud noise when I start up and I start up in a garage, so I'd think it would be noticeable if it was present.

Just hope all this stuff stays away from me! :)

Mitch

·
Registered
145 Posts
I got my first 'free' oil change at the dealer and their sticker said to come back at 5000 miles or 5 months. They overfilled it by a full quart and who knows what actual weight they put in?? The sticker and the invoice said 5w30, but you know all they have is 5w20! ha, ha!! ;)

I've done 2 oil changes since then and I've only got 11,500 miles on it total.

No loud noise when I start up and I start up in a garage, so I'd think it would be noticeable if it was present.

Just hope all this stuff stays away from me! :)

Mitch
Your truck is pretty low mileage to have the timing chain issue show up BUT that said there are a few 2013's that have come down with the issue. You'll know it when you hear it. The sound is unmistakeable but often intermittent until there is a lot of slop in the chain.

·
Registered
162 Posts
We'll my truck only has 13K miles on it. It kinda pisses me off that I am already having issues with a year old truck. I also have the 7 year free maintenance plan and so far had two oil changes from the stealership! I am going to taking my intake and charge pipe off and return the tune back to stock before I take it in for service. From the many pages that I have read about this topic it seems like the replacement chain doesn't always fix the issue.

1 - 20 of 1275 Posts