F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1265 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
From the many pages that I have read about this topic it seems like the replacement chain doesn't always fix the issue.
I have yet to see a truck fixed (on forums/ or youtube) that didn't have the sound come back. Some went much longer than others, but my truck was making it again within a week. There have been several engines replaced due to this issue as when the dealers dug deeper they found worn main bearings, cam caps and other tolerances that were way out. The thread on F-150 Forum has a few but it takes a lot of reading.

Good luck with your dealer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hate hearing things like this because I love my truck. The dealer does free oil changes for the life of the vehicle and does them at 5k. Im going to stick to that because I have a full warranty until 75K miles so around that time I may be on the hunt for something different.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe it is 2011 only related. I havent read about anyone with 12+ have this issue.
you can now. my 2012 just started to have these exact symptoms yesterday. 42xxx miles on the truck. right after a cold start the truck would make a loud metal on metal sort of clink/rattle sound and the truck would shake. it happened 4 times yesterday. one time the truck was still idling in the driveway while I waited for my daughter. the 2nd time it happened right after a cold start and I was leaving a parking lot (approx 75 feet), the clink/rattling noise happened and it felt like the tranny lost all power and the rpms revved to 3000. took a couple of seconds and i had power again and continued on down the road like nothing happened. the other 2 instances happened last night on the way to pick up my daughter. same issue as the 2nd time it happened.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
you can now. my 2012 just started to have these exact symptoms yesterday. 42xxx miles on the truck. right after a cold start the truck would make a loud metal on metal sort of clink/rattle sound and the truck would shake. it happened 4 times yesterday. one time the truck was still idling in the driveway while I waited for my daughter. the 2nd time it happened right after a cold start and I was leaving a parking lot (approx 75 feet), the clink/rattling noise happened and it felt like the tranny lost all power and the rpms revved to 3000. took a couple of seconds and i had power again and continued on down the road like nothing happened. the other 2 instances happened last night on the way to pick up my daughter. same issue as the 2nd time it happened.
So same typical questions. What type of oil? What oil change interval?

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is hard to believe that Ford can't come up with a good solution to the timing chain problem. It seems to me that Ford is using inferior metal with improper heat treatment to manufacture these chains with. I wonder if thicker dampers and longer piston travel to take up more chain slack would allow these motors to make it to 200-250K miles? A gear drive timing setup would be an excellent fix and a good way to make a $.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
It is hard to believe that Ford can't come up with a good solution to the timing chain problem. It seems to me that Ford is using inferior metal with improper heat treatment to manufacture these chains with. I wonder if thicker dampers and longer piston travel to take up more chain slack would allow these motors to make it to 200-250K miles? A gear drive timing setup would be an excellent fix and a good way to make a $.
It would be too long of a run to do gears. It is a really long chain. I'm not sure how piston travel would affect it. Not saying it wouldn't, just saying I don't understand it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm referring to the piston that actuates the timing chain damper. I've read that when the chain starts to rattle, it is caused by damper piston running out of travel.

It would be too long of a run to do gears. It is a really long chain. I'm not sure how piston travel would affect it. Not saying it wouldn't, just saying I don't understand it.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I'm referring to the piston that actuates the timing chain damper. I've read that when the chain starts to rattle, it is caused by damper piston running out of travel.
Ok then yes we are talking close to the same thing. I am saying the rattle starts because the piston does not get oil pressure fast enough to stop the rattle, causing wear to the components. But what you say makes sense too.

Unfortunately we will probably never know what is actually causing it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Update December 25th 2014

Here is what the my truck sounded like this morning... This is POST timing chain replacement (TSB 14-0194).

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Update December 25th 2014 Here is what the my truck sounded like this morning... This is POST timing chain replacement (TSB 14-0194). YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S2_mwyeH2A
Any chance next oil change you willing to try pennzoil ultra platinum? I just want to see if a really high grade oil prevents the noise.

Also have you ran synthetic since the timing chain replacement? Also a ford oil filter at every oil change?

And that sucks the noise is back. I really hope this gets figured out for you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Any chance next oil change you willing to try pennzoil ultra platinum? I just want to see if a really high grade oil prevents the noise.
My next oil change is next week when they do the fuel-in-oil TSB and at which time they'll be using the Ford full-synthetic that was called for in the timing chain TSB. So it might not be for a while I'd try that.

Also have you ran synthetic since the timing chain replacement? Also a ford oil filter at every oil change?
Yes. The timing chain was replaced only about 600 km of driving ago... (3-4 weeks) so it's not even had sufficient time for an oil change, but now with fuel-in-oil it's going back. At this point, this engine does this noise so frequently that any internal damage has been done already and I don't want to mask that with an oil. I'd prefer to let Ford maintain it until it fails.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
. At this point, this engine does this noise so frequently that any internal damage has been done already and I don't want to mask that with an oil. I'd prefer to let Ford maintain it until it fails.
Yikes. I would say 600 km it would be pretty hard to wear out another chain. But if you think there would be damage then ya I would want it to sound bad also so that Ford steps up. If you do have enough time before your warranty then just try a change. Don't have to report to ford just give us a heads up. Might help us troubleshoot and prevent this. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Mine did it slightly this morning on start up. Not loud nor very long like. Less than half a second. 3300 km into OCI. Will be checking my oil when I get home tonight to see if the level is high and if it smells of fuel.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yikes. I would say 600 km it would be pretty hard to wear out another chain.
Yeah, I don 't think the chain has stretched in that short amount of time, I will tell you though after getting the truck back from the chain TSB it seemed to have more power/ torque/fuel economy. Now, about 4 weeks later it seems that running poorly again. I believe there is pre-mature bearing wear and/or sprocket wear and/or something else going on inside this engine that is causing this. It took 6 starts from the "fix" to hearing the noise again. Another guy had the chain done (F-150 Forum) and it made the noise on the first start-up when picking up from the dealer AFTER repair. My truck isn't the only one like this.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It sounds like no oil pressure for a few seconds or lost its prime. How do the variable timing sprockets work? Could those be making noise till pressure comes up? To me if your chain is stretched , wouldn't it make noise all the time? I don't have a clue what the inside of these engines look like or operate. Just throwing my thoughts out there. I have heard that oem filters are best because some aftermarket filters may not have a check valve in them, and oil can drain into pan. Don't know for sure though.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
My truck did this the other day after cranking it for the first time in months. Hopefully it was just a loss of oil on the top end from sitting up... This truck has less than 20k miles on it...

·
Registered
823 Posts
Gross... I had this exact noise this morning for the first time since I've owned the truck. 2013 with 61k miles on it. Temp was 38F here in austin when I started the truck, coldest its ever been since I own the truck. Oil was changed ~1k miles ago with mobil 1 5-30 synth, I'll double check, but I doubt there is any problem with the oil level. Have folks had ford actually do anything for them on the TSB under warrenty?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well it looks like I am in the same boat as you dnellans. I haven't cold started my truck in about 4 months because I commute so far the wife drives my truck and I drive her car but since she is off for the holidays I decided to take the truck this morning. I remote started it walking out the door and it sounded exactly like the video posted by fordguy. I have already gone through the whole deal with the CAC and now this...good thing I bought the extended warranty. :mad: 2011 with 67xxx run with full synthetic since I bought it with 17xxx changed every 5000.

21 - 40 of 1265 Posts
About this Discussion
1.3K Replies
208 Participants
Sirikenewtron
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing