F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1261 - 1276 of 1276 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
My friend has a 17 raptor, oil change at dealers all stock, it is having chain rattle lol
My wife's 2018 Transit van with the Gen1 EB gets the rattle (very faint, very brief) maybe 1 out of every 15 startups and it has 32k miles on it. I'm 100% certain the dealer will tell me they can't replicate the problem or it's a non-issue that they've never heard of but I'm going to take it to them anyways. I have less than 4k miles left on the warranty.

This van is the lowest quality Ford vehicle I've ever owned and that's saying a lot. I can't count the number of Ford vehicles I've owned. It will quite probably be replaced with a Mercedes passenger van when I've finally had enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have an idea as to what is the cause of the timing chain stretch. I have a 2011 F150 Ecoboost, and haven't had that issue yet. I am proactive on maintenance, and the Synthetic oil never gets past 4000 miles. Is it hard acceleration, heavy towing, too light of a chain for the job, 10K oil change (diluted oil)??

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Does anyone have an idea as to what is the cause of the timing chain stretch. I have a 2011 F150 Ecoboost, and haven't had that issue yet. I am proactive on maintenance, and the Synthetic oil never gets past 4000 miles. Is it hard acceleration, heavy towing, too light of a chain for the job??
Bad design. Although some will never have the issue

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
7,099 Posts
we will have timing kits being manufactured soon. gen1 and gen2.

screen shot just for reference of one of the gen2 parts. more info as we get closer. we address all issues
IMG_7161.JPG
IMG_7162.JPG

Family First

·
Registered
682 Posts
Does anyone have an idea as to what is the cause of the timing chain stretch. I have a 2011 F150 Ecoboost, and haven't had that issue yet. I am proactive on maintenance, and the Synthetic oil never gets past 4000 miles. Is it hard acceleration, heavy towing, too light of a chain for the job, 10K oil change (diluted oil)??
My 13 eco just gave up the ghost at 230k
Most of the time doing a timing chain at 100 thousand miles is not unheard of....but $4,900 to do it at a dealer is robbery!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
7,099 Posts
My 13 eco just gave up the ghost at 230k
Most of the time doing a timing chain at 100 thousand miles is not unheard of....but $4,900 to do it at a dealer is robbery!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
you could have shipped it to us for that price, flew here to pick it up and bought beer and dinner WOW

Family First

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Yea, I didn't want to make him feel worse.

I can guarantee you that if I'm not getting it as a warranty repair?, then the dealership ain't touching my truck.

In fact, if I suddenly need phasers on my Gen2 and it IS warranty, I still don't think I'll let them tear into my truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
After spending three years teaching myself how to wrench on vehicles, I won't let anyone else touch my vehicles ever again. I've seen the threads where guys replace their own phasers and timing chains, I would try it.

View attachment 163643

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Guys,

I am actually new to the thread but have been watching from the sideline for a while. I just purchased my first ever Ford vehicle. 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 from a good friend. I have known this truck since he bought it new and I have wrenched on it before owning it.

When bought the vehicle I knew about the trucks noise at start-up and when I bought it about a month ago, our arrangement was that he would help pay for the timing repair. Fast forward a week, the truck has been at groove ford since last week Wednesday and being put back together today. The total bill for the GPS update, 4 wheel alignment, tire rotation, and the timing job came to $3850 out the door. I was ok with the price seeing as though its being split but I would like to know are there specific questions I need to ask when picking up my truck just to seek comfort that they did the work they were supposed to and to make sure they used the correct\new\updated parts?

Thank you in advance!
PS, I came from owning Toyota trucks all my life from an older tundra then a 2010 tacoma, which I loved and then a motivating factor to get off the "Toyota train" was a 2016 Tacoma TRD OR I owned. What a POS!!! I have never smiled so much driving any toyota. I love my F150 and just want to make sure I take care of it. (-:

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Well it sounds like regardless of what you might hear at this point, it's too late to change or alter what the dealership chose to do with the "timing chain" repair.

But to put it in summary, around here it has become pretty much a consensus that the best approach to the repair on a Gen1 is to replace everything that participates in the timing chain assembly. Phasers, chains, tensioners, guides,....... and since the truck is disassembled, change the water pump as well.

See if you can get a thorough printout of the parts that were replaced and there's a few fellas around here that are intimate enough with the task to give you their opinion.

Nice to know the real history of a used truck though.

(you didn't mention mileage)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the info... Yeah sorry my milage is right at 57000 miles. Yes the stuck didn't drive much, maybe 20 miles a week the last year or so. In the month I have owned it I have traveled 3500 miles. :)

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Thank you for the info... Yeah sorry my milage is right at 57000 miles. Yes the stuck didn't drive much, maybe 20 miles a week the last year or so. In the month I have owned it I have traveled 3500 miles. :)
I'm betting your 3500 miles were less wear miles than the 20 mile week miles.

This motor really prefers to operate at full temperature and under some load. At least there's evidence for that conclusion

·
Registered
4 Posts
I couldn't agree more. We knew the rattle was there prior to me buying it but it was so infrequent that it would have been hard to diagnose. Once I started driving it further for longer the rattle could be reproduced easily. I'll check with Ford probably tomorrow to see what was done. Oh they also mentioned a vacuum pump oil leak they're fixing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got my truck back yesterday. YAY!!! $4700 later. They replaced the vacuum pump, apparently, there was an oil leak, replaced the water pump, all the timing components, they cleaned and flushed the fuel system, brake fluid, coolant, and all the 4x4 drivetrain fluids as well as flushed the transmission. They did a ton of work on the truck extra but I do have some peace of mind now. The total quoted out the door was $4700 and some change. They did discount some things and I ended up paying $4042 after it was all said and done. The truck drives great and I couldn't be happier. I have the "booklet" if anyone would like to see what was done. The plan for the weekend is to install my Wagner intercooler and my SPD 3" catted downpipes then hopefully I will have my tuner back from Livernois. Exciting times (-:

The only issue I need to figure out now is the GPS on the truck seem to not know where the truck is and is constantly rerouting thinking I am driving off course. Does anyone know anything about what could possibly cause this?

1261 - 1276 of 1276 Posts