F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1301 - 1311 of 1311 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
Welcome @BlueSuperCrew

If you aren't throwing related codes, experiencing any related symptoms, keeping fresh synthetic oil in the belly, and not hearing the clack when you pre-oil it a few seconds......... Well I wouldn't touch a thing!

You never know. You just might have many many more thousands of trouble free miles before needing to address those parts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome @BlueSuperCrew

If you aren't throwing related codes, experiencing any related symptoms, keeping fresh synthetic oil in the belly, and not hearing the clack when you pre-oil it a few seconds......... Well I wouldn't touch a thing!

You never know. You just might have many many more thousands of trouble free miles before needing to address those parts.

Sounds good to me. Full synthetic all the way.

·
Vendor
7,290 Posts
Ok folks. Here is why cam phasers rattle. Proof and best pic I’ve ever posted. This worn “ramp” doesn’t allow locking pin to fully seat when shut down. Therefore upon cold soak, lack of oil pressure from excessive drain back of oil and the phasers not seeing oil pressure fast enough, the pin isn’t under enough force to push in the locking groove, therefore since it is not upon shut down of truck, the phaser clack first a few.

This is good info, we will have timing chain kits out in about 12 weeks.

1- they address the weak primary chain.

2- they address the accessible and unnecessary amount of drain back on **** down and any length of cold soak

3- they address secondary tensioner issue we found (more on that once we have run the engine dyno and confirm what we have already but with data)

4- secondary chains will be addressed and we break them (or have on 4-5 builds (seemed like 1 then bam bam all in a row and all 600 ish plus HP)

5- we will offer stronger cam phasers to not allow the backing plate to wear as seen. Pin is designed for like 2-5 million key cycles hence why plates worn.

6- we will offer cam limiters. 60 deg of movement on intake cams is A LOT and 40-50* deg is more than enough

7- better tensioner (primary) helping harmonics and wear thru tensioner that is actually smooth and doesn’t move in and out so much, hoping to reduce 80% of the oem movement

8- adjustable lockable cam gears will be available for big boys with big things and big sticks (bump sticks that is)

9 billet guide pass side and possible billet guide driver side with e85 comparable guides and wear strips

They are NOT Ethanol safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok folks. Here is why cam phasers rattle. Proof and best pic I’ve ever posted. This worn “ramp” doesn’t allow locking pin to fully seat when shut down. Therefore upon cold soak, lack of oil pressure from excessive drain back of oil and the phasers not seeing oil pressure fast enough, the pin isn’t under enough force to push in the locking groove, therefore since it is not upon shut down of truck, the phaser clack first a few.

This is good info, we will have timing chain kits out in about 12 weeks.

1- they address the weak primary chain.

2- they address the accessible and unnecessary amount of drain back on **** down and any length of cold soak

3- they address secondary tensioner issue we found (more on that once we have run the engine dyno and confirm what we have already but with data)

4- secondary chains will be addressed and we break them (or have on 4-5 builds (seemed like 1 then bam bam all in a row and all 600 ish plus HP)

5- we will offer stronger cam phasers to not allow the backing plate to wear as seen. Pin is designed for like 2-5 million key cycles hence why plates worn.

6- we will offer cam limiters. 60 deg of movement on intake cams is A LOT and 40-50* deg is more than enough

7- better tensioner (primary) helping harmonics and wear thru tensioner that is actually smooth and doesn’t move in and out so much, hoping to reduce 80% of the oem movement

8- adjustable lockable cam gears will be available for big boys with big things and big sticks (bump sticks that is)

9 billet guide pass side and possible billet guide driver side with e85 comparable guides and wear strips

They are NOT Ethanol safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah buddy!! Kit should sell well. I'm willing to foot-to-floor it until these are available.

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
Yeah buddy!! Kit should sell well. I'm willing to foot-to-floor it until these are available.
I'm with you. Slowly but surely there's a solution to every "weakness" to these amazing motors.

It's a whole different ballgame if you have a Stout cylinder and bottom end, AND you get a longer wear VVT ensemble. Add to that some professional Turbo cooling/lubrication plumbing, and beefier exhaust manifolds, and you are approaching a relative bullet proof 3.5TT.

Obviously the term bulletproof isn't exactly accurate, but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
322 Posts
2014 F150 Ecoboost with 98k miles

I'm just beginning to get very mild rattle at startup, for no longer than 1 second max, I've definitely seen and heard much worse. Dealer said they can hear it and that that do believe the timing chain is beginning to stretch, but my extended warranty company won't cover it unless they take the timing cover off and you can see the stretch. Ford said they recommend waiting a little bit longer (I have ext. warranty until 108k miles), hope that it gets a little worse so that when they inspect it, it will be more obvious. Otherwise if they take the covers off now and it's not bad "enough" for the warranty company, they'll stick me with the bill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2014 F150 Ecoboost with 98k miles

I'm just beginning to get very mild rattle at startup, for no longer than 1 second max, I've definitely seen and heard much worse. Dealer said they can hear it and that that do believe the timing chain is beginning to stretch, but my extended warranty company won't cover it unless they take the timing cover off and you can see the stretch. Ford said they recommend waiting a little bit longer (I have ext. warranty until 108k miles), hope that it gets a little worse so that when they inspect it, it will be more obvious. Otherwise if they take the covers off now and it's not bad "enough" for the warranty company, they'll stick me with the bill.
I use Valvoline 10/30 racing oil . High zinc no problems

·
Registered
77 Posts
some reassuring news in this thread...i too am getting a very faint rattle on cold start ups - threw seafoam in the crankcase a week ago and going to change the oil today (motocraft filter and Castrol full synthetic - the black one for GDI), going to change the change intervals to 5 000 kms (50% oil life reset) and run a bottle of lucas synthetic oil conditioner and see if it lessens it - yes i know its snake oil but hey, $20 is nothing, so i may as well give it a whirl once. Dont want to dig into the eco and do $4000 of work. Oh and my truck makes oil, definitely have a fuel in oil issue - going to change the seal on the high pressure fuel pump and see if that helps ... wonder if its just normal operation or if the injectors are leaking etc. Some people say getting a new HPFP fixes some of their fuel in oil issue; however a new pump comes with a new gasket/oring, so i am going to just try that first (the oring)

oh and im a 2014 F150 FX4 with about 130 000 kms (~81K miles)

I may look at going with some 0W40 down the road if the above doesnt "help" anyone changed weights of oil and had luck stopping a minor rattle?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
HPFP replacement or just replacing the o-ring is a much easier job compared to the injectors.

1301 - 1311 of 1311 Posts