F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
Hmmm. I've never experienced this but I just signed onto my Ford.Owner account and this is showing up for my truck.

• Recall Date: FEB 12, 2019
  • Recall Title: 6R80 SUDDEN TRANSMISSION DOWNSHIFT POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE PROGRAMMING
  • NHTSA Recall Number: AWAITING#
  • Ford Recall Number: 19S07
  • Recall Description: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE AN INTERMITTENT LOSS OF THE TRANSMISSION OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR (OSS) SIGNAL TO THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE, POTENTIALLY RESULTING IN A TEMPORARY, UNINTENDED DOWNSHIFT INTO FIRST GEAR.
  • Risk to Safety: DEPENDING ON THE VEHICLE SPEED AT THE TIME OF AN INTERMITTENT OSS FAILURE, AN ABRUPT TRANSMISSION DOWNSHIFT TO FIRST GEAR COULD OCCUR. A DOWNSHIFT TO FIRST GEAR WITHOUT WARNING COULD RESULT IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
  • Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD IS EXCLUDING REIMBURSEMENT FOR COSTS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PROGRAM WOULD PROVIDE FOR A FREE REPAIR FOR THIS CONCERN. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
  • Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
Same here. Showing up for my truck. Do we have to wait for the recall or can we be pro-active?
Nope. You have to wait for the letter before taking it to the dealership.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nope. You have to wait for the letter before taking it to the dealership.

actually this is not true, all you need is your truck. The letter just informs you. We can tell by VIN about recalls

·
Registered
313 Posts
It happened to my truck about a month ago and I got it fixed pretty crazy when you’re driving down the road and all the sudden your truck locks up and tires screech and before you know it you’re in first gear 12 screw f150 4x4 ecoboost luckily it was all covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
actually this is not true, all you need is your truck. The letter just informs you. We can tell by VIN about recalls
Good to know. I based my answer off of my interpretation of the verbiage in the recall:

Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMED.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
It happened to my truck about a month ago and I got it fixed pretty crazy when you’re driving down the road and all the sudden your truck locks up and tires screech and before you know it you’re in first gear 12 screw f150 4x4 ecoboost luckily it was all covered

That has the potential to be terrifying if you are in traffic or going fast. I usually cruise on the highway going 85

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah I was going about 45 and luckily no one was around it was really intense I did not know the recall was out until I searched on the forum about it and when I called ford they said it was

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Good to know. I based my answer off of my interpretation of the verbiage in the recall:

Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMED.
Im not too fond of my Ford dealer. Hasn't been terrible but not good. I did get my way though. When I went in for IWE replacement I had to explain to the service manager how the IWE functioned and what part to look for after saying everything was fine. 2 hours later he calls and said they found the issues and were replacing the IWE unit in the hub :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Service managers have zero trade knowledge so you're basically talking to a monkey. Anytime I have a problem at a dealership I ask to speak to the mechanic doing the work.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Im not too fond of my Ford dealer. Hasn't been terrible but not good. I did get my way though. When I went in for IWE replacement I had to explain to the service manager how the IWE functioned and what part to look for after saying everything was fine. 2 hours later he calls and said they found the issues and were replacing the IWE unit in the hub :rolleyes:
Sometimes they just need a bit of guidance from you. That's all. :)

Honestly, if they were not too arrogant to listen to you and not shut you down, I'd give them points for that and try to leverage it in the future. Not many techs or service writers like to listen to us.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Service managers have zero trade knowledge so you're basically talking to a monkey. Anytime I have a problem at a dealership I ask to speak to the mechanic doing the work.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Yep. They're just there to schedule appointments. The only time I have been to dealer is for my master cy. recall and to do the valve body tsb. She said I absolutely had to bring it in to be looked at for the valve body. I took work off and all. I said you have the parts available? This is the exact TSB number etc etc. Shes like yes yes yes yes yes. I get there and they dont even look at it. She comes back in a hour and says "the master tech knows about this tsb, does not need to look at it but needs the parts and they will be here tomorrow, can you come back then? It will take him a few hours." I was like are you cant be serious?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Looks like I'm included in this recall. No number issued yet. Is it just a reprogram? I though this was the lead frame/connector issue? Guess I'll wait for the letter.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Looks like I'm included in this recall. No number issued yet. Is it just a reprogram? I though this was the lead frame/connector issue? Guess I'll wait for the letter.
for now its just a reprogram

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
for now its just a reprogram
DJ, educate me a little. In my opinion, when the word "reprogram" is used, this means that the original programming is being written over or tweaked with new code, correct? So, If I were to take my truck to the Ford house today, would they already have the new program to perform this?

·
Registered
497 Posts
DJ, educate me a little. In my opinion, when the word "reprogram" is used, this means that the original programming is being written over or tweaked with new code, correct? So, If I were to take my truck to the Ford house today, would they already have the new program to perform this?
you are correct on both accounts

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
you are correct on both accounts
So, in this instance, y'all (the dealerships) would have already had the new program, in house, before the recall was announced in anticipation of people like me? LOL

1 - 20 of 194 Posts