F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, got mine done this weekend. Sorry for whoever requested a write up. I didn't have time to take all those pics, as well as write it all up.

The job is a huge PITA. Just getting to the actual timing components took us close to 6 hours. All in, about 20 hours to get it all done. Runs like a champ now, and will be doing the oil change tonight to get any metal shavings out of the system. Chain was stretched about 3/4inch.

Some tips:
-Make sure you have a good gear puller, the main crank pulley has a really long engagement and takes a lot to get off. Additionally, when installing it back on, you need a longer bolt with some washers to pull it on enough to get the crank bolt to engage.
-Some of the intake plumbing is hard to get disconnected from the turbos. Rotate the clamps when you get them off to make them easier to get on later.
-Get the steel cam holding tools. I got plastic ones on ebay, and they broke from the cylinder pressure alone(got a refund).
-Use an adjustable crescent wrench on the cams to hold them in place while you take the phasers off and put them back on.
-Replace both belts while you're in there.

-GET THE SERVICE MANUAL! Access is only 20 bucks for 72 hours, and it was the biggest help on the whole job. Being able to look at the official process with colored diagrams, and get all torque specs was a life saver.

I finished mine last night

Between the puller and the long m12x1.5 bolt the crank pulley I lost a day.

Some observations:

IMHO if you just replace the chain (like the 14 tsb) there is no reason for the cam holders at all. They are handy for keeping them from spinning if you are replacing the phasers but certainly not necessary if you have been inside DOHC engines before.

The clamps on the turbo piping are accessible through the wheel wells, use a 8mm nut driver with extension

lightly Press in the water outlet seal to break the stiction to remove the front cover

The cam bolts are torx plus TP-55

The cam flats are 22mm, you will also need a 12" pipe on teh wrench

Replace everything the primary chain touches it will all be worn

intake phasers
crank gear
left and right guides
idler gear (water pump part number)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another Ford 150 Turbo Timing Chain Issue

Yes. I had mine done under power train for free as I still had 6 months of warranty left at the time.
Had my CEL come on at 74,000 miles on my 2013 Ford F150 Turbo (01/19) and started researching here and I found out it was 016 error code and most likely timing chain issue. My truck would have no pick up at 65-70 MPH which was so annoying. Took it to the dealer that I leased and then bought out the lease from. I went in very knowledgeable from all of you on this forum and told them I knew these trucks from 2011-14 were having timing chain issues. The service department confirmed it was the timing chain and they said it would cost $1,500. which seemed reasonable from the prices people have posted here. I then negotiated the price down to $1,200. They did the work (3/19) in two days, and they gave me a 2019 Fusion hybrid for a loaner, which was a sweet ride. The truck is fixed and running great again. I'm posting here to confirm another timing chain issue with a 2013 F150 Ecoboost Turbo. But I also wanted to thank all of you for your prior posts that helped educate me. I also want to say that I feel my dealer did me right because of my knowledge when I went in. Yankee Ford in Portland, ME.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe I mis-remember but are most people paying around $1500 for the timing chain replacement? For some reason I was thinking it’s more?

·
Registered
22 Posts
No. I haven't heard of anyone who had the original phaser TSB done have the issue come back unless the repair mechanic ****ed up the timing or left debris in the timing cover.

Mine did ...Im sure ill never be told the cause, 3 months after the original tsb the rattle returned. It is currently in the shop and is supposed to be covered under the parts and labor warranty which is 12 mos or 12K miles. Anything they do that was not in the original tsb will be charged to me. I have to give them a call tomorrow as I got a message they "found some things" whatever that means.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Hey atleast they are warranting their warranty work. My dealer told me that only parts/work you pay for is covered under a further mileage warranty.

Warranty work is warrantied up here in canuckistan...

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
They finished the work and redid the tsb from july all under the parts/labor warranty. They looked at and did not replace the tensioners saying they were absolutely fine (I said I would pay for it) They did find 3 bad plugs. Hopefully this will work this time. Ill be dropping teh driveshaft to lube the yolk maybe next week.

Hopefully this settles things and Ill hang onto it but if the rattle returns it will be traded in when the ford rebates go back up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve been looking at new trucks to replace my 2012 Lariat. I only have 67k on it and KBB says $18k trade in. New trucks similar to this one are $50k or more after rebates. Don’t think it’s worth $32k to avoid paying $2k for the timing chain work at this point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah thats too rich for my blood. Thsi dealer still has 2018's on teh lot with significant discounts off sticker plus trade value and then rebates (was 6250 last month)that woudl drop them below 20K total and msrp sticker is 48K. The 2 I looked at would have fallen into this range one was a v8 xlt chrome an dthe other 3.5 xlt sport. If you find some that they are looking to get rid of..usually old stock or previous year the savings can be significant

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 F 150 with 62000 miles needs can phasers at a cost of $2000 with Ford discounting some of the cost.
Check engine light came on and Ford dealer diagnosed it but didn't give me the code...
Thinking about getting a Chevy after researching all the cam issues with the 3.5 EcoBoost.!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 F 150 with 62000 miles needs can phasers at a cost of $2000 with Ford discounting some of the cost.
Check engine light came on and Ford dealer diagnosed it but didn't give me the code...
Thinking about getting a Chevy after researching all the cam issues with the 3.5 EcoBoost.!

62,000 Miles so not under warranty

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
13 Participants
Rosepony
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing