F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, started my search for some kind of rear suspension assistance for when I load one of my trailers back side of the FX4. I thought I would end up going with the Timbren cushions that mount between the axle and frame to keep things simple and easy. But, after doing plenty of research and taking into account that I have installed the Rancho leveling kit which only leaves me with less than 1 inch rear height over the front. This meant that if I went with the Timbren style rear suspension if the rear of the truck were to drop say 3", the rear of the truck would be 2" lower than the front. IE: simple things like ride, weight transfer to the truck and even the headlights would be off.

So I then figured that the air bags may be my better route. I can set the airbags to the height allowing my truck to set level depending on the load placed on the hitch at any given time. I looked at Firestone first which most reviews say do get the job done and done well. However, there were also a number of reviews that said even with the bags almost empty of air the truck seems to ride rougher when the truck bed is empty and in stock configuration. Another negative was that the Firestone bags require 8" of space between the tire/wheel and the mounting position on the axle which was said to interfere with some applications of wider tires and 5th wheel/gooseneck hitch applications. There are however rated at 5,000 pounds. Price seems to average in the $380 range, I did find them for $331 on Amazon which was the best price I could locate.

After doing plenty of reading and searching I ended up ordering the Air Lift Ride Control Air Helper Springs. While they are rated at a lesser rating of only 2,000 pounds, I figure that this is more extra weight than I would be placing on the rear shocks way. I mean really how many of us are going to place 5,000 pounds of extra down force on the bed of your F150 to begin with?

These Air Lift Ride Control Air Helper Springs also do not require the clearance space as does the Firestone bags and because of their mounting location will not interfere with 5th wheel/gooseneck hitch mounting points.

The Air Lift system offers a lifetime warranty with a 60 day satisfaction grace period....if you don't like them, don't keep them.

As for the price, the best online price I found was at Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924 (who I have done plenty of business with in the past). Price was $270.85 with free shipping, I located a coupon code on a Google search which saved me an additional 5% ($13.54). Bringing my total to $257.31 delivered to my door.

But Wait, it gets better. Air Lift currently has a mail in rebate offer of $50 on this setup which will bring my total price to a SWEET $207.31 plus the cost of a stamp when all is said and done.

Anyway, if your looking for a rear enhancement lift for your F150 this maybe what your looking for and at a pretty fair price!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So these airbags actually allow for 2000 more lbs of payload? Do they also add to the amount of weight the truck can tow.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO Sir, there is nothing that can be bolted on to the truck that will increase the manufactured weight rating of the truck. These will allow you to load up to the manufactures stated weight limit and allow the truck to set level rather than squat down low in the rear end.

I needed to move my 28' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer this last week. I would in the past do this with my F250 which as been sold. When I lowered this trailer onto the hitch of the F150 it sat the rear end down extremely low. These will allow me to add air and level the ride of the truck while towing in the future. And when not needed I will keep the air pressure in the 5 pound area.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yea, thought I would mention that Etrailer does not currently have them in stock. Mine are due to ship in the next 6 days. So if a hurry is in your needs, this maynot be the place to order them from.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I cant wait to see your full install thread with many pictures in a step by step format. I also look forward to your extensive review thread with weights and measurements. Lol

J/K or am I?

SPPD

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cant wait to see your full install thread with many pictures in a step by step format. I also look forward to your extensive review thread with weights and measurements. Lol

J/K or am I?

SPPD
Me to...LOL!!!!

I will follow up and see if I can't help others who are looking at rear enhancements to their F150

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems Air Lift has some top notch customer service. I was having trouble downloading their rebate forum from the company link. So I fired off an email to customer service to enquire as to if there was a problem and tell them what I had experienced. With it being a Friday afternoon I figured it would be sometime next week before I heard back..if ever. Well, with in an hour I had a reply from Air Lift customer service which included a enclosed file that contained the rebate form. I clicked on the file and with in a matter of a second it was download complete and I was able to print it.

Makes me feel better about a company that offers a 60 day money back guarantee and a life time warranty on the product I just ordered.

Good Job there Air Lift!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok I got ya. I think this will greatly help when I load my 8000 lb camper on the back. It squats pretty good, nothing too terrible but definitley less than when I had my f250. Thanks for the info, and sorry for the stupid question.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No such thing as a stupid question. It's just a desire to learn, and to learn we ask questions.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why do they call it a 'Hammerhead' Shark? View attachment 2170
Now that's a good question and I applaud your desire for gaining knowledge.

Now I could simply answer the question for you, or recommend that you Google the question which would allow you to grasp the knowledge with photos and facts.

Not to mention the other knowledge you may find you gained from other various links you my click to.

So in summary what I am saying is .......go Google it ...you big dummy! LOL!!!!!!

Thanks for your post, it was a great way to start off the day with a smile...."Here's my Sign"

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I did receive the AirLift rear suspension bag system the other day and got around to doing the installation today. In spite of the reviews where others said that they did the installation in 1 to 2 hours, it took me a little over 3 1/2 hours. But then I also did a tire rotation while I was at it, figured I had to remove the rear tire, I have 5,300 miles on the truck so why not just get it done.

I did not take any photos, as earlier I had posted a link to the installation instructions which are pretty much straight forward. Had I listed to what I read and not tightened things that I should have left loose my time would have been cut down by at least 30 minutes. I also chose to install my hose ends for filling the bags at the lower license plate holes. This involved unpacking the tire changing equipment from the FX4 so that I could drop my spare tire.

FWIW: If you haven't taken the time to read your owners manual to find this kit it may be worth your time....it is the only way you will ever locate it. That sucker is hidden well.

All in all, the install went just as it is written in the manual. No surprised, no bruised knuckles, no blood. Plenty of sweat, I dropped 4.2 pounds in body weight it was so hot in the garage. A couple of tools that would be nice to have, and thank goodness I did, were an electric cut off wheel grinder and a set of sockets that allow through the socket clearance for tightening of bolts....Thank you Harbor Freight!!!

I have not had the opportunity to drive the truck since the installation but shall do so later today. Sure hope my tire pressure sensors reprogram themselves with out me having to do the manual reset.....again all in the Owners Manual...worth reading.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drove the truck around last evening with 38 pounds of pressure in the bags with no load in the bed. This did raise the height of the rear of the truck, it almost felt like a stock rake stance (I have a 2" level kit on the front). The ride had a little extra bounce in the rear, but no added firmness or rough feel to the ride.

As of this morning I went out to check the pressure to see if there was any pressure drop which would show an air leak. Everything showed to have maintained its pressure and no leaks. I have now dropped the air pressure down to 10 pounds which is the recommended minimum pressure setting. I will take it out later today and see how the ride is compared to stock and vs the 38# ride. I'll post back with the results.

·
Vendor
897 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not to hijack the thread but we now offer this kit as well. Airlift - 59568. I can give a forum discount and the airlift 50.00 rebate will still apply. Also you will need a controller.

[h=1]Air Lift WirelessAIR On-Board Air Compressor System[/h][h=1]Air Lift Load Controller II Compressor System[/h]
That's not a HiJack, that's just good business. I had checked your site and did not see it listed, if I had I would have ordered from you.

To anyone else looking, your going to be hard pressed to beat the price and service from Stage3 Motorsports.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
7 Participants
jonrjen
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing