F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the reasons I purchased the new FX4 Eco with to use it as a Toad behind the motorhome. I am getting ready to order the tow bar frame mounted brackets for the truck and was wondering if anyone may already have any experience installing a pair of these?

If not, I guess I will jump right in and be the first.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Are you going to put it on a trailer? If not I'd sure check with Ford to see if any damage will result to the transmission and or transfer case before I towed it.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Earlier manual transfer cases had a neutral selection for that kind of situation. Like Bob said above, check on the potential problems before jumping in.

Just my opinion, but I would prefer my toad on a trailer anyway if for nothing else but to cut down on driveline and tire wear.

Also heard a story once where a guy hooked up his stick shift Cavalier to his motor home and forgot to take it out of low gear. When they made their first stop there was oil dripping from under the car and pieces of engine all over the place! That poor little 2.2 had to be spinning over 10 grand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check your owners manual. The 13's are approved for flat towing now. There is a description in the manual for the procedure to shift the tc into neutral.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I was looking through the owners manual for something else. Instructions should be around page 275 depending on what printing you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, it is approved for Four down towing as of 2012 with the 4x4. This is why there is no longer a Jeep in the garage, I plan to tow the FX4 back of the motor home.

Also just sold my 2006 F250 reg cab V10 manual transmission truck yesterday. For what I now need a truck for the Eco FX4 will handle the need. Of course that little bitty 5.5' bed does have it's limits, but a trailer will handle anything longer if needed.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, after searching around I found that the almost best price on the brackets were $379.99, however I did find a set on Amazon for $314.99 with free shipping. So they should be here Thursday, and I hope to install them over the weekend.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, got down to business Sunday and installed the BlueOx tow brackets on my FX4. All in it wasn't a bad job to do. I took my time pulling the needed bolts and nuts required to remove the bumper which was a total of 5 screws which included removing that massive air deflector and 4 bolts. Also popping the wires off of the fog lights.

Got the wife to help me pull the bumper off and set out of the way. Then remove 4 bolts to remove the factory recovery loops. The BlueOx brackets bolt up through the factory recover loop holes from the bottom. Once in place you are required to drill two holes through the frame of the truck to bolt the brackets on from the side. Surprisingly I was able to drill these 1/2"+ holes though the frame with my battery charged Harbor Freight 18V drill with ease. Once the two bolts on each side are in place and everything checked for a snug fit, you can start taking the bolts out one at a time and adding red Loctite to the threads and reinstall and torque to the proper snugness.
Attach the safety cables through the location on the bracket around the frame of the truck and clamp into place.

Now came the most difficult part, putting the bumper back on. The wife and I tried but it wasn't working well. So I called my son to come give a hand. While waiting on him to show up I trimmed a little plastic from the lower bumper around where the factory tow recovery loops come thought for clearance of the new brackets. When he arrived we managed to slip the bumper in place and bolted it into place.

I'll get a couple of photos posted of the end result later today in case anyone is interested in towing their F150 four wheels down in the future.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Great job! I have no need for this, but you never know what the future holds! Plus you undoubtedly have helped someone down the road that does a Google search and finds your helpful thread

Regards,

SPPD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
SPPD
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing