F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
If yours is a 2013 there probably isn't an issue. It it is an older model Ford will fix it. It's really not necessarily an engine problem, but an issue with the design of the intercooler during certain weather conditions. The engine itself is rock solid and the intercooler issue is easily fixed. Ford at one time had thousands of newer designed intercoolers on back order so they are taking action to correct this.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am with FastBob and by no means ready to jump on the Bandwagon of Ford screwed every EcoBoost Owner. They have been addressing the CAC issue as they come up. TSP have gone out and dealerships are aware of the issue which affects few based on location and environment.
Don't get me wrong; as it is unfortunate that this has come up and caused the issues that it has. But it would be like the rest of us in the colder climates wanting to sue because the powersteering lines broke because they were not rated for the lower temp. Anyone who has had this happens knows it sucks trying to steer a big rig without power-assistance. Yes it can be dangerous but the dealership installs a thick hose rated for colder climates and we move on because we understand that not all parts are going to react or hold up to all driving conditions.
I am not even close to trading in my EcoBeast just because one person is making a uproar and being public about it. Expecially when the issue has been identified and can be fixed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have loved my Ecoboost since the day that I got it. As with every new piece of tech that comes out, there is going to be kinks and issues that happen. These engines will be put through the ringer in ways that ford didn't test and when an issue comes up they will fix it. My truck has powered through -40 or colder conditions with ease and I am pretty sure that they never tested the truck in the kind of conditions that I drive in routinely every winter. Don't hop on the doomsday band wagon.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Calm down! It is only a humidity / condensation build up when you're out of the boost range with CERTAIN pre 2012 intercoolers. Some 2012 still got the intercooler with issues, but some didn't. I live in one of the highest humidity locations and haven't had this issue.

and let me guess, they aren't suing for just a new intercooler, they're suing for monetary damages and anything they can get ahold of...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do these people forget the days of needing an oil change EVERY 3000 miles, cars with 80,000 miles being "high-milage", A/C that need re-charged all the time, the V8 Mustang Cobra with 305 HP, 16" wheels being big, and always saying "Can you hear me now?"...if you were lucky enough to even have a cell phone.
People that are lucky to have the ability to operate the radio on a modern day vehicle are the first to "sue" when a piece of technology doesn't live up to the high expectations that it was intended. I think it's amazing what Ford has done, and which some learning experiences along the way, we certainly would have the things we do.
So come on people, let Ford take care of the issue (which they will) and quit whining!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I say ditto - I have a brand-new 2013 ecoboost that has a weird issue. Every time you close the right front door, the whole truck shakes and makes a boom like a bass drum. The dealership said they will either find the issue and fix it, or give me a new truck. Ford does back its product.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I love how folks throw rocks before they even know the issues, particularly from the news media.....who of course never get a story wrong!!!. Remember how that terrible company Ford Motor Company was killing folks driving in their explorer as they just fliped over for no reason!!! Remember........................do you remember what the final issue ended up being.....................remember..................does Firestone ring a bell? Before you rush to judgement and lynch FMC.............lets see where the facts fall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2013 FX4 with Ecoboost engine. Approximately 5000 miles on it and had the exact issue described in the article. I was passing someone on the interstate and the engine just stopped producing useful power and began to shake. The "Check Engine" light began flashing. After letting off the accelerator, the shaking stopped. I eased on and off the gas several times but still couldn't get any power out of the engine. Each time I got on the gas at all, the shaking returned. After about 10-15 seconds passed, the light cleared and the engine returned to normal operation. I was not able to get anything useful from the dealership as all their mechanics were off duty. Salesman said "If the light went out, everything is fine." I'm taking it in next week to get looked at and will keep people updated.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
That's the exact diagnosis of high humidity falter. Have them check your CAC and possibly exchange it for the proper working model. Is it annoying? Yes. Should it happen? No. Is it something worth suing over? No. All you need is the correct CAC model.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2013 F-150 Ecoboost XLT crew/cab and have had no problems with moisture, but a guy I work with bought a 2013 Lariat and has had several problems with the moisture in the system. He went to the same dealer and was simply told Ford is aware of the problem and are working to correct the issue. I thought the problems ended with the larger inner-cooler in the 2013's but apparently not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey was reading a few things on this Page... I've never own any Ford car before so I don't know how reliable they are. In looking at a 2013 lariat with ecoboost I'm not looking to tow anything so I was looking to find out how good is the mpg on it. .. Can anyone help me with that. The thanks

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I just bought my F150 XLT Ecoboost 4x4 last weekend and so far I haven't experienced any of those "shuttering" problems. The truck has a ton of power for passing or climbing hills (haven't towed anything yet) and feels more like a "big V8" than a 213 c.i. V6.

My engine isn't broken in yet, but if I keep my right foot light, it seems to be okay both in the city and highway (when you consider it's a big, heavy truck with the aerodynamics of a brick). Not as good as a car, but good for a truck.

The fuel indicator is showing much better fuel economy than my buddy's 2000 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with a 6.0 LS engine (and my 1/2 Ton F150 is bigger and taller when parked "side by side" to his 3/4 Ton truck) as well as the F150 if flatout quicker.

And it has much better fuel economy (and much quicker) than my brother's 1999 F150 4x4 with the 4.6. In fact, my brother now wants to dump his F150 and get a new truck as well. He's leaning to the 5.0 though ... he just likes the sound of a V8 more, and the Coyote 5.0 is a sweet sounding motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ECOBOOST Update:
I took the truck in to get the newer intercooler put in last week. When I went to the dealership to pick it up, I looked at the work summary, and found that they had only read the codes. There were none. When questioned, the service folks had no idea why they hadn't changed the CAC. They put me in touch with the service manager directly. He informed me that the new CAC's were not fixing the problem. Ford has sent a test detachment down to Tampa to engineer a new design. Not sure when to anticipate an update.

To be honest, I haven't had any trouble since the initial issues about a month ago. It would just be nice to get this thing taken care of so that if I need power on the highway, I know it's going to be there for me. Will let you guys know if I hear more.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Hey was reading a few things on this Page... I've never own any Ford car before so I don't know how reliable they are. In looking at a 2013 lariat with ecoboost I'm not looking to tow anything so I was looking to find out how good is the mpg on it. .. Can anyone help me with that. The thanks
F150 has been the best selling truck for many, many years. Ford has long proved its reliability.
Ford has made the ecoboost option available in 90% of Ford models. It's no coincidence that this motor is widely offered. Go watch the episodes of "Ecoboost torture test" on YouTube. If you still doubt the reliability, nothing will sway your opinion!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some people want everything to be perfect and someone else is always responsible. Waaahhh I wonder if the people who filed the suit ever took the vehicles in for warranty or to be checked out. They are most likely OBAMA voters anyway.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
F150 has been the best selling truck for many, many years. Ford has long proved its reliability.
Ford has made the ecoboost option available in 90% of Ford models. It's no coincidence that this motor is widely offered. Go watch the episodes of "Ecoboost torture test" on YouTube. If you still doubt the reliability, nothing will sway your opinion!
What will sway your opinion is when you have it happen to you. I did watch the torture test, and it played heavily in my decision to buy the ecoboost. My F150 (2012) has had the power reduction instead of increase once. Once in a year, but it was a situation where I really needed to accelerate and to decelerate instead was quite an unpleasant surprise both to me and the traffic around me. Truck's at the shop now & so far they "can't duplicate" the problem - no surprise there. So now I have a vehicle I can't depend on to accelerate when I want it to, and that's a palpable hazard to me. Until Ford finds a fix I won't be recommending the ecoboost any more to friends who ask about it (In fact it was quite embarrassing to have to admit to two friends I've recently talked into buying the ecoboost that the decel problem is real). Those who poo-poo the problem haven't experienced it.
:)
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
What will sway your opinion is when you have it happen to you. I did watch the torture test, and it played heavily in my decision to buy the ecoboost. My F150 (2012) has had the power reduction instead of increase once. Once in a year, but it was a situation where I really needed to accelerate and to decelerate instead was quite an unpleasant surprise both to me and the traffic around me. Truck's at the shop now & so far they "can't duplicate" the problem - no surprise there. So now I have a vehicle I can't depend on to accelerate when I want it to, and that's a palpable hazard to me. Until Ford finds a fix I won't be recommending the ecoboost any more to friends who ask about it (In fact it was quite embarrassing to have to admit to two friends I've recently talked into buying the ecoboost that the decel problem is real). Those who poo-poo the problem haven't experienced it.
:)
Rick
I understand your dismay with your truck experiencing the falter, but I can't find anywhere in my post that states Ford is immune to issues. I am not paid by Ford and will not protect Ford. I never said the issue wasn't real or wasn't a big deal.

They shouldn't have to duplicate the problem as there has been multiple TSB issued regarding the CAC, and the problem has been well documented.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm having an issue with my brand new EB F150 too. Every time I push the gas pedal to the floor the rear tires break loose and leave long black streaks on the ground. It even leaves two short ones after shifting into second gear. I wonder if Ford will buy me new tires after I go through my first set. This may get expensive. I also am having a hard time using any of the NAV features while accelerating due to the fact that I can't pull myself off of the front seat. It's a little annoying...
I love this truck!

1 - 20 of 181 Posts
About this Discussion
180 Replies
88 Participants
Mr B
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing