F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

I have a 2011 F150 with 99k miles. I just installed the Full Race Intercooler in order to decrease my IAT's and free up space in the bumper. I have noticed since then that my MPG has dropped significantly (3-4mpg). I have also noticed I am in vacuum or at "zero" more often than I am in boost. Now, I realize that boost is a measure of resistance which this intercooler is designed to reduce. However, coupled with the loss in MPG, I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if this is something that is expected? The truck pulls hard at WOT. Still reaches peak boost, but at WOT only. Wheras, half throttle to 3/4 throttle on the factor CAC would get me up there depending on the gearing. I just wanted to see if this is normal. As far as I can tell, there is no boost leak. I have quadrupled checked all pipes, double checked all vacuum lines as well. I also updated my livewire TS and checked the FS intercooler option. That seemed to have helped albiet, very little.

thanks for any help and input! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What else is aftermarket/installed on your rig.?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I thought it might be is blown out plugs. After install, the truck ran like a scolded dog, initially, then bogged down afterwards. Even now, all clamps are tight as can be, and it just doesn't want to roll when the brake is removed. My plugs are going on 30k miles so Maybe I should upgrade now.

I also thought maybe a congested cat is hindering things or something disoldged in there. What do you think?

Current Mods: Livewire with preprogrammed tunes, AFE intake. 6" RC lift with 35" toyo's on motometals. Only thing that has changed has been the intercooler last weekend. Was thinking of just going back to stock but i really think something else is off on the truck, not the intercooler.

Vacuum at idle is -7.98 to - 8.13

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Good Evening,

I have a 2011 F150 with 99k miles. I just installed the Full Race Intercooler in order to decrease my IAT's and free up space in the bumper. I have noticed since then that my MPG has dropped significantly (3-4mpg). I have also noticed I am in vacuum or at "zero" more often than I am in boost. Now, I realize that boost is a measure of resistance which this intercooler is designed to reduce. However, coupled with the loss in MPG, I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if this is something that is expected? The truck pulls hard at WOT. Still reaches peak boost, but at WOT only. Wheras, half throttle to 3/4 throttle on the factor CAC would get me up there depending on the gearing. I just wanted to see if this is normal. As far as I can tell, there is no boost leak. I have quadrupled checked all pipes, double checked all vacuum lines as well. I also updated my livewire TS and checked the FS intercooler option. That seemed to have helped albiet, very little.

thanks for any help and input! I really appreciate it.
I dont think the lower pressure drop through the CAC would matter since its measuring the boost at the manifold. The engine needs what it needs to make the power.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated my sig

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you input the correct tire size? Many times tires are not true to size.
Yes, the loss in power and MPG happened immediately after my first drive with the CAC in place. i already had the tuner on and settings in place. I didn't change anything other than adding the intercooler. I'm going to double check all my plugs tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Did you input the correct tire size? Many times tires are not true to size.
Edit: Didn't see the OP had already replied

Good point. If you are running 35's, you are traveling farther and faster.

So your mpg will be off considerably.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I understand you said you double checked but I feel like the only culprit is then a boost leak possibly coming from the CAC.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand you said you double checked but I feel like the only culprit is then a boost leak possibly coming from the CAC.
Do you think I could have fouled one of the plugs or gapped them under WOT enough to reduce effectiveness?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Any significant engine rumble at start up or attempted WOT? Thinking misfire is a culprit? Hope not! However if it is, change plugs ASAP.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Check your bov as well. Could have torn the diaphragm when transfering it to the new cac or maybe the gasket between it and the cac isn't seated properly

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
What have you gapped them to? Also D0nch does have a point but I believe you have a 2011 which the diaphragms are on the turbos. Does the CAC have a block off plate?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s correct. 2011. Have a solid cac. One way in and one way out. How do I go about checking the diaphragm on the waste gate?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
151 Posts
What's the ceramic look like? Second set of plugs?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The other side Between 0.028 to 0.030. New ones are in the mail now. Ceramic was reddened. Sorry i didn't get a good pic of it.

I'd really like to learn more about the diaphragm damage on the wastegates on 11-12's, if anyone has any information...

·
Registered
107 Posts
If the problem started after the CAC install then I think the only thing it can be is a loose clamp or boost leak coming from the CAC. If it were waste-gates you would’ve noticed before hand. 11-12 had BOV on the turbos while the 13-14 had a single one on the CAC.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts