F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an increadibley well written article from FullRace. They are a top of the line turbo builder that took a liking to the Ecoboost. With backing from Ford built a screamin Eco...Check it out! Its a five page article with a hot swap dyno session showing results for each upgrade on the last page. Talks about all the things Ford did right and a couple things they missed the ball on.

Ford EcoBoost F-150 | Inside Ford's New F-150 | Full-Race.com

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is an increadibley well written article from FullRace. They are a top of the line turbo builder that took a liking to the Ecoboost. With backing from Ford built a screamin Eco...Check it out! Its a five page article with a hot swap dyno session showing results for each upgrade on the last page. Talks about all the things Ford did right and a couple things they missed the ball on.

Ford EcoBoost F-150 | Inside Ford's New F-150 | Full-Race.com
THat is by far the best article I have ever read! THANKYOU!!! I am confident now that My fx4 driveline will handle the mods I Have done and am going to do!! I am getting The SCT tuner in a week. Having it custom tuned at the local speed shop. I get to spend the day with my truck on the dyno with some teck savy dudes tuning my truck! Can't think of a better way to spend a day! It costs more then a canned tuner but I think it's going to be worth the $1000 bucks.(that price includes the tuner). Again Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took an interest to the information on the Charge Air Cooler. I wonder if it will be a fix for the problems people have had with the condensation causing limp mode issues. Also nice to see that the threshold for max boost is around 18psi.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Great read!

Although I plan to keep my truck mechanically stock except an intake at some point, its nice to know that if I get the itch after warranty runs out the truck will be able to handle it.

SPPD

·
Registered
152 Posts
I took an interest to the information on the Charge Air Cooler. I wonder if it will be a fix for the problems people have had with the condensation causing limp mode issues. Also nice to see that the threshold for max boost is around 18psi.
I found that interesting as well. It was nice to see the weak and strong points of the truck. I haven't had any problems with my CAC yet,maybe because I spend most of my time into the boost.lol (no time to condensate) Touch wood!

·
Registered
4 Posts
AMAZING article... I love the way a 3rd Party company was allowed to assess and make changes to the Ford F150, WITH Ford's permission and even later gave their adulation to Full-Race for their efforts. This in itself raises interesting questions. Everything I have read to this point endorses the, "AFE stage 2 cold air intake" (+33 RWHP and +34 RWTQ) or other such air box that opens the OEM restrictions on airflow. BUT, Full-Race was SOOO impressed with the OEM airbox, they only swapped out the filter element. What am I to believe? A manufacturer that is selling a $430 part backed up by Dyno's THEY purport to be accurate? Or a team of highly educated and skilled engineers that work in the real world environment. The "Full-Race" folks live and die by RWHP and RWTQ and here MAK Performance is offering the aforementioned AFE stage 2, along with the "BladeRunner Charge Pipe" for a mere $645 (Even though the BladeRunner Charge Pipe looks like a length of oversized radiator hose priced at $260...) So, for $645 "Full-Race" can add 43 RWHP and 46 RWTQ!!! That is an outrageous increase and worth the money but, that does not happen. Same thing with the Cat-back exhaust system. 2.5", vs 3" vs 4". I don't wish to disparage anyone here but I am interested in the truth, along with making my dream truck the best that it can possibly be.

·
Registered
152 Posts
AMAZING article... I love the way a 3rd Party company was allowed to assess and make changes to the Ford F150, WITH Ford's permission and even later gave their adulation to Full-Race for their efforts. This in itself raises interesting questions. Everything I have read to this point endorses the, "AFE stage 2 cold air intake" (+33 RWHP and +34 RWTQ) or other such air box that opens the OEM restrictions on airflow. BUT, Full-Race was SOOO impressed with the OEM airbox, they only swapped out the filter element. What am I to believe? A manufacturer that is selling a $430 part backed up by Dyno's THEY purport to be accurate? Or a team of highly educated and skilled engineers that work in the real world environment. The "Full-Race" folks live and die by RWHP and RWTQ and here MAK Performance is offering the aforementioned AFE stage 2, along with the "BladeRunner Charge Pipe" for a mere $645 (Even though the BladeRunner Charge Pipe looks like a length of oversized radiator hose priced at $260...) So, for $645 "Full-Race" can add 43 RWHP and 46 RWTQ!!! That is an outrageous increase and worth the money but, that does not happen. Same thing with the Cat-back exhaust system. 2.5", vs 3" vs 4". I don't wish to disparage anyone here but I am interested in the truth, along with making my dream truck the best that it can possibly be.
I hear you loud and clear brother! I know the exhaust I put on made a huge difference in the power my truck put out, The intake,not so much but I love the sound it makes! I am getting a custom tune done next monday. Which includes, University degreed engineers with experience on 1,500rwhp vehicles! + 4 hours of dyno run time to give me the safest and best tune possible for me. And at the end of the day,proof of what has been accomplished. Oh and I'm not the ginnie pig either, they have worked on many EB's! For me it's $1100 well spent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What sized exhaust did you use then 4fun??? I know I voiced my concerns about the differences between "Full Race" recommendations and this group's representative from MAK Performance but there has been no response as of yet other than yours. Interesting. I know air intake is an integral part of an engine's performance and I have anecdotal evidence from my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (K&N air filter) and my 2001 Yamaha V-Max w/airbox mods... Yes, "apples vs oranges" but it is still in the fruit variety... I cannot use any Tune mod's at this point as I have spent way too much on the extended warranty... 7yr - 125K mi Bumper 2 Bumper. HOWEVER, I have already confirmed that Airbox and Exhaust (cat-back) will generally not affect the bumper 2 bumper warranty and I am interested in making the most of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Salt342, I am in the process of ordering a 13 kr ,can not decide on rear end,also with 6.5 ft box,how do you like the 3:55? I am looking at that or 3:31 I don't pull real heavy,just boat 2500-3000lbs,thanks, subslinger

·
Registered
152 Posts
How did your tune turn out?
happening on Monday, will keep you posted. hope for the best...don't care if the #'s aren't as high as what others have posted. It will be for the 91octane that I always run at the elevation I live at,2200ft. don't know if that makes a difference or not? will see.

·
Supporting Vendor
551 Posts
First of all let me applaud you for doing what most people never do. Researching and Inquiring!!!!!
I will not knock full race or discredit their findings. However, we do believe that the products that we sell are improvements over the factory equipment. Good enough improvements to warrant spending the money on. We are not parts pushers. We will usually try to discourage customers from purchasing items that we don’t believe do a good job. If you notice on our website we don’t have every available ecoboost part for sale. The reason for that is that we know what works and what doesn’t, through various types of testing. A dyno is only a tool, and should only be used as one. Our very own y-pipe when we tested in house picked up minimal gains on our Mustang Dyno, when we went to the track in the same truck as the previous week and only difference being our Y-pipe. We picked up 2tenths and 2mph in the ¼ mile. Those who know anything about drag racing, or have been around it, know that 7-10hp does not translate into 2 tenths and 2mph. My point is that a dyno is not the be all tell all. Some products function better in the real world than on a dyno. Most of our customers have really experienced that first hand when swapping to our offroad y-pipe. Even outside testers have used our y-pipes against the competition and we come out ahead.
We have been in the industry for 20+ years, you can ask many different manufacturers who have worked with us in the past, and most will tell you that they in part dread working with us, because we are very honest about products when they don’t work. They know they will receive feedback, but they also know that they might not like some of the feedback they get. We might not be engineers, but we have worked/still work with the best engineers from all over this industry to create the best products in the performance market.
Now for some ecoboost knowledge.
That over-sized piece of radiator hose that you call an AFE charge pipe, is anything but. The slight design modification accounts for an extra 10rwhp/12ft/lbs. Not only claimed by AFE but also tested by an 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party company.
[/URL][/IMG]
The exhaust debate in our eyes is pretty clear. We have tried 3in, 4in, and 3.5in. Our conclusion is that the 3.5in stainless works catback is the most powerful catback(and best sounding, zero drone!) we have tested. Once again that is supported by a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party company.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

We have no direct connection to 5startuning.They were interested in doing some testing and purchased a y-pipe and came to their own conclusions. Again we are not just pumping parts on the internet to sell to you guys. We are here to help you guys get the best combination possible for you ecoboost trucks. So yes the AFE package that we sell, we sell because we believe that it will be a good addition to you dream ecoboost truck.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
[email protected]

·
Registered
152 Posts
happening on Monday, will keep you posted. hope for the best...don't care if the #'s aren't as high as what others have posted. It will be for the 91octane that I always run at the elevation I live at,2200ft. don't know if that makes a difference or not? will see.
Bad news! Dyno was broke so couldn't do the tune.....Re-booked for the 16th of May.(next time home) was pretty pissed, I was looking forward to it. Oh well weather at home sucks anyway wouldn't have been able to give it a good go on the street. Met the owner and had a good chat about our trucks. He is an ecoboost owner as well. He actually backed up alot of what [email protected] was just saying in this thread. Niel(owner) has a "great wall of certification" and is down with the most current calabration equipment and techniques. For him it is not just a job but a passion. He runs a twin turbo zephyr at the track for gods sakes.WHO DOES THAT TO A ZEPHYR! Anyway I feel so much more comfortable after our chat, he is quite confident in his ability's especially with the ecoboost's.I found out he loves them as much as we do! So much so that he has one as his shop truck.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Bad news! Dyno was broke so couldn't do the tune.....Re-booked for the 16th of May.(next time home) was pretty pissed, I was looking forward to it. Oh well weather at home sucks anyway wouldn't have been able to give it a good go on the street. Met the owner and had a good chat about our trucks. He is an ecoboost owner as well. He actually backed up alot of what [email protected] was just saying in this thread. Niel(owner) has a "great wall of certification" and is down with the most current calabration equipment and techniques. For him it is not just a job but a passion. He runs a twin turbo zephyr at the track for gods sakes.WHO DOES THAT TO A ZEPHYR! Anyway I feel so much more comfortable after our chat, he is quite confident in his ability's especially with the ecoboost's.I found out he loves them as much as we do! So much so that he has one as his shop truck.
FX4- Bro that is a Bum deal on not getting in to the Shop! But I am with you on the weather conditions not being ideal as I woke up this moring to find it dumping more freaking snow!!!
That is totally rad about Niel and his chat with you. No doubt your tune and truck will come out smoking with performance. You should of recommended Niel to join the forum so he can jam pack our brains with his wealth of knowledge and experience LOL! Nothing is better than going to a shop that not only can work on your ride but also has the same type of ride just like our vendors on here! Speaks great weight to their words and efforts!

·
Registered
152 Posts
FX4- Bro that is a Bum deal on not getting in to the Shop! But I am with you on the weather conditions not being ideal as I woke up this moring to find it dumping more freaking snow!!!
That is totally rad about Niel and his chat with you. No doubt your tune and truck will come out smoking with performance. You should of recommended Niel to join the forum so he can jam pack our brains with his wealth of knowledge and experience LOL! Nothing is better than going to a shop that not only can work on your ride but also has the same type of ride just like our vendors on here! Speaks great weight to their words and efforts!
I will definately ask him if he would be interested in joining the forum...I think he would find this site to be a good fit for him as well. And yes I am sick of winter already! don't get me wrong I love the seasons, but this one has over stayed it's welcome! I thought I would change out my winter tires this time home as my summer rims were back from powder coating.NOT...

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Great article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
What's with the necrophilia lately?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
13 Participants
bespurcell
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing