F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, we are trying to help out our friends to the north with these ecoboost F150s. We are looking into Free Shipping to Canada on select products. The custom would still have to pay duties and taxes, that's between you and your government. Some of the first products would be Programmers/ Tuners. We could also look into doing this on some of the kicker subwoofer upgrades.

EcoBoost Tuners & Programmers

[h=1]2009-2013 F150 Kicker SoundGate PowerStage Powered Subwoofer Kit (Super Cab) [/h]
[h=1]2009-2013 F150 Kicker SoundGate PowerStage Powered Subwoofer Kit (Super Crew)[/h]
Let me know what you guys think about this. I cant promise this will work out but we are strongly considering it. We could off course look into more products in the future.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Bill, this is good info as I am in Canada. FYI, there shouldn't be any duties if its "Made in USA" and the taxes are just the 5% GST. The big "unknown" is the brokerage fees charged by the Custom Brokers used by the Shipping Company. Some are reasonable but I have had others that "flipped me over the hood and .... ".

One thought, is it possible to have it shipped to a warehouse where I could pick it up, drive it across the border and pay the taxes at the border? This would avoid the Custom Broker "flipping me over the hood".

I just bought my truck last week and I am trying to learn as much as I can about it. But I am already starting to develop a shopping list of items I would like to install.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe it's going to be very rare to find a tuner (ie: electronics) made in the US, so you're almost inevitably looking at paying duty.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Vendor
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill, this is good info as I am in Canada. FYI, there shouldn't be any duties if its "Made in USA" and the taxes are just the 5% GST. The big "unknown" is the brokerage fees charged by the Custom Brokers used by the Shipping Company. Some are reasonable but I have had others that "flipped me over the hood and .... ".

One thought, is it possible to have it shipped to a warehouse where I could pick it up, drive it across the border and pay the taxes at the border? This would avoid the Custom Broker "flipping me over the hood".

I just bought my truck last week and I am trying to learn as much as I can about it. But I am already starting to develop a shopping list of items I would like to install.

We do ship to US warehouses just south of the border often. I know the duties and taxes get crazy up there. We could also send some smaller items with USPS, which may help you guys out as well.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Thanks Bill for your answers to this and other questions I have asked. I see the other person's post that most tuners are not made in the US. That may be true for the electronic component (everything electronic seems to be built in Asia). But a tuner would include the software ... which I would suggest is the most expensive part. Then the country of origin should be the US, and it would qualify under NAFTA to be Duty Free and only subject to GST at our border.

As for warehouse just south of Canada, I am on the West Coast in British Columbia. So any warehouses in Washington State would work for me. Right now, I am thinking of the Edge Scanner to start monitoring my engine. I have a further question on the Scanner, but I will post it there.

Thanks for all your assistance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The government doesn't look at software vs hardware value. They look at the total purchase price of the hardware, and country of origin.

To get the scenario you suggest, tuners would have to sell their tuners blank, ship the hardware to you at the cost of the hardware, then have you do something like download the tuner software from the tuner website, thus splitting the cost. Too much work for the gov't to reliably split.

The major headache I can see for this scenario from the vendor point of view is that the hardware itself probably costs well under $50. So you'd get people complaining that their software costs too much. And for the small market (compared to the home US) that is the great white north, not worth that headache.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Which tuners did you import? From my past experiences with importing parts for other vehicles, when I reviewed all the charges, I never paid any duty (since the early 1990s). The big charge was brokerage fees, and that too is subject to GST/HST.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Bill, back to my original question. Do you have a warehouse in Washington State and if so, where. I suspect there are a large number of guys in the Lower Mainland of BC (just north of the border). And when I lived there in my youth, we often would drive to the US to get high performance parts due to the poor selection and outrageously high prices charged by the few stores that did sell anything remotely "high performance".

·
Registered
13,060 Posts
I just use the gas station a mile from the border. It's a ups drop off. 3$ to pick up parcels. Benefits where I live. & @ par fuel. $1.10 a liter right now. 1.40$ @ home

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I have a place 4.5 Hours from you, let me know if you are interested.
Hi Bill:

Is that 4.5 hours from the border ... or 4.5 hours from Kamloops?

Kamloops is about 3 hours from Abbotsford (where I also have family), and Abbotsford just across the border from Sumas and 1 hour north of Bellingham.

And yes, I am interested.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check-out shipping to Point Roberts too - a tiny peninsula jutting out from Tsawwassen in BC. It crosses the 49th, so is US land with it's own border control... There are several places there that specialize in receiving goods for Canadian customers... Many will store your goods on arrival, and even alert you once they've received your delivery.

Not much good for those of us in Ontario, but great for folks on Vancouver Island or BC's Lower Mainland?

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
4.5 hours from Kamloops. But it will probably save 1000.00 in Shipping, Duties and Taxes.
Thanks Bill. And yes, depending on the package, I think $1,000 or even more, could be the savings. Especially when you you have bulky items like exhaust systems.

And that is my next question. I really like the 3.5" Stainless Works exhaust system on the Phase 3 & Phase 4 packages. Is the exhuast fitted to the wheelbase/type of my truck (i.e. Supercab with 6.6" box) or is it "one size fits all", and you cut to fit?

Finally, can I select what sensors I wish to monitor on the Livewire similar to the Edge Monitor? Or do I have "some" selectivity...but not as much as with the Edge?

And again, thanks for all of you time and assistance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have used a place in Sumas called "Ship Happens" as a delivery address across the line. A buddy of mine makes weekly trips to Oroville, Washington for the same purpose, he buys inventory for his business from US suppliers mainly and it makes very good economic sense for him to own a full sized van and make trips back and forth from Vernon. Most border towns on the US side of the line have similar services available.

Question for Bill, can you ship small stuff such as Tuners or Scorcher modules via USPS?

·
Vendor
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Bill. And yes, depending on the package, I think $1,000 or even more, could be the savings. Especially when you you have bulky items like exhaust systems.

And that is my next question. I really like the 3.5" Stainless Works exhaust system on the Phase 3 & Phase 4 packages. Is the exhuast fitted to the wheelbase/type of my truck (i.e. Supercab with 6.6" box) or is it "one size fits all", and you cut to fit?

Finally, can I select what sensors I wish to monitor on the Livewire similar to the Edge Monitor? Or do I have "some" selectivity...but not as much as with the Edge?

And again, thanks for all of you time and assistance.

We have stainless works add in an extra pipe to make it work for the longer bed configurations. I believe the livewire will monitor just as much as the Edge CTS.

·
Vendor
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have used a place in Sumas called "Ship Happens" as a delivery address across the line. A buddy of mine makes weekly trips to Oroville, Washington for the same purpose, he buys inventory for his business from US suppliers mainly and it makes very good economic sense for him to own a full sized van and make trips back and forth from Vernon. Most border towns on the US side of the line have similar services available.

Question for Bill, can you ship small stuff such as Tuners or Scorcher modules via USPS?

We have actually shipped to "Ship Happens" before. I wont forget that business name anytime soon. Yes we can ship small stuff (Tuners, Throttle Bodies, Leveling Kits) to Canada with USPS. Its usually under 30.00 for 2-3 day service.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts