F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Is the front axle housing filled with differential fluid? I've got a leak on the passenger side axle housing near the hub. I thought there was a seal between the axle housing and the differential, making the axle housing itself dry.

Is there actually a seal at the end of the axle housing near the passenger side hub?

Thanks for setting me straight.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Im not sure I understand where your talking about? The differential itself has gear oil in it yes. Then theres a seal where the cv axle goes into it, and thats where the oil stops. The hub at the wheel has no oil. If your thinking of the axle tube portion that sticks off the passengers side of the diff then yes theres oil in there as theres a bearing at the end that needs the oil. That seal isn't overly hard to change either.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the axle tube on the passenger side does contain oil? The end of that is leaking.

My factory service manual calls that a dust seal between the hub and the axle tube.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So in the attached photos, the seals are referred to as dust seals only. But in the exploded views of the differential, I can't find a seal on the passenger side.

The drawing with the arrow is misleading and looks like it's the surface between the differential and the axle housing, but the circled drawing doesn't show a seal there.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't see how the bearing at the end could last without oil in there. All the others I've dealt with did. But looking at the pics you have I see your confusion.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm. Well I might just have to tear it apart. I was hoping to have the parts ahead of time, but that's ok.

Maybe they are a sealed bearing at the end? If thats the case then ya your leak is further in at the seal where the tube bolts on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So in the attached photos, the seals are referred to as dust seals only. But in the exploded views of the differential, I can't find a seal on the passenger side.

The drawing with the arrow is misleading and looks like it's the surface between the differential and the axle housing, but the circled drawing doesn't show a seal there.
Two questions, first, did you find out where that leak was coming from? Mine is leaking from the same location. Second, what did you take that screenshot from? Is it the service manual?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts