F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve got a very strange noise/feeling that i need to describe. This is hard to explain. So let me try and do my best
So i have a rotational thump thump thump that i FEEL in my feet much more than you can hear. I certainly can't get it on audio. it comes and goes, and sometimes when i'm going slow (20-30) on a back street hitting bumps might make it stop for a few seconds till another bump makes it start again. Generally it's not there at higher speeds but today i was traveling down a long strait road that is at a slight incline and it would come and go until i took a corner and then it was gone.
It almost feels like the CV's might be loose on the inside end and when spinning a bump can throw them out of balance and they make that feeling.
I've replaced the IWE’s with Dorman deletes and nothing changed. (IWE's were bad but presented a different issue)
Prior to this i replaced the Wheel hub assemblies which didn't change anything.
I don't have a lift or a leveling kit on my 12 SCREW.
Changing from 2H to 4a or 4H doesn't change anything
Lowering the tire pressure to make them softer and eliminate a bulge due to broken belt didn't change anything.
this winter I had just replaced my IWE's and they were junk from the factory i later found out. but because i didn't know this I took the truck to a transmission mechanic and told him i had just changed the IWE's. He said the TC is on its way out. because there was a loud hard clunk at 50 under heavy acceleration in 4h (snowy roads)
I replaced the TC with a junk yard pull that only had 68K on it. I don't imagine it's a TC issue or it might have presented sooner, and would possibly more constant.
There is no grind, no hum, no drivability issues. no different noise turning or driving strait.
Carrier bearing feels fine, and i think if the carrier bearing went out it I would feel the thump under the arm rest.

My feeling is that my CV's are going out they do feel a little loose where they insert. that if i lift the truck up and take the tire off i can wiggle the CV axle where it inserts into the drive assembly. Or possibly where they attach inside the front axle is broken. I would think that a broken gear or something internal wouldn't be so rhythmic as this issue is.

This picture is from my front drivers side CV. taken as i was putting in deletes.

·
Moderstrator
3,485 Posts
Did you replace the tire with the broken belt?

·
Registered
2013 F150 Screw 3.5L Ecoboost Oxford White
171 Posts
Did you replace the tire with the broken belt?
Yeah that was one of my first thoughts. Get that tire replaced first.

Then I'd agree that the CV's are probably shot and may as well be replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts