F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I’m enjoying the hell out of my new 2018 XL Supercab, 3.5 Max Tow, 4x4 truck, but has anyone else noticed that Ford has done away with the front mounted Transmission coolers?

Even my Max Tow truck that I special ordered doesn’t have one anymore. Ford has moved it to a water cooled heat exchanger that is attached to the front of the transmission pan now?

At first I thought it was just my truck and they forgot it or something so I went to the dealership lot and sure enough, every 18’ doesn’t have a front mounted cooler anymore!

2017’s with the 2nd Gen 3.5 / 10spd combo have the traditional front mounted transmission cooler, but it is gone on the 2018’s regardless of Tow pkgs.

I get it possibly why, as Ford is trying to use the engine coolant to warm the trans fluid as fast as possible for efficiency.

However, it just seems way less effective at maximum cooling when needed in the summer time? I guess I’ll find out if it works when things are warm up in the summer here in Southern Utah?

I know my 2015 never got the trans temps hot even towing 9000lbs in 118* weather.

It looks to be quite easy to ‘T’ off of the hot line and run a oem front mounted traditional cooler if needed, but I’m baffled?

Is the water cooled heat exchanger design that much more effective, mounted underneath the transmission where there is practically no airflow, especially with that lower diaper they have covering everything up under there?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
This is news to me.
The heat "water" style heat exchanger should bring the trans up to operating temperature quicker. As far as keeping temps in check while towing, keep us updated.
Thanks for sharing your findings.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You have to have Package 53A or 53C to get the transmission cooler.

I haven't been able to find the one on my truck. It's not located in the same place as previous model Ecoboost. It may be hidden behind the intercooler.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So the 53C(max trailer tow) package has no front mounted cooler? That is a big change. The biggest beef I have with my truck is the transmission temps I see towing in the mountains. Maybe the cooler change will address that. I have no experience with those trans-mounted coolers.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Gonna have to disagree.
The pic below is from my cell phone poked into the grill of a new 2018 on the lot. I had to look at about 10 new trucks before I found this one. And I eventually found a few more.

Why was I looking?
Because it wasn't until AFTER I had my "fully loaded King Ranch" for a couple of days that I discovered I didn't have an expected auxiliary transcooler.
And noticed the internet, my owners manual, and other documentation all had conflicting information.

As a result, my dealer sympathized with me and agreed to retrofit the factory option, rather than exchange trucks. Lol

I'm not saying I need it, nor am I saying towing without it would somehow damage my truck. (I do tow) But I am saying it is OBVIOUS that Ford engineers still design for it. So I want the additional towing enhancement. Period!

By the way, the cooler, mounting brackets, hoses and clamps combined, are NOT a big expense. Especially relative to the cost of a truck. I was going to have this regardless.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good on you for getting the outcome you needed, Snake. I just put a nine row(vs. stock 4 row) OEM Excursion cooler on mine this past fall. I'm curious to see if it makes a difference this summer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It must of been an early build model then before the change over? I know the 2017’s have them, but I’ve yet to find a later build date 2018 that has one?

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Perhaps. But my truck was a part of a shipment with October build dates. Pretty fresh stock. After finding 4 trucks with the cooler, I stopped looking for more. My salesman didn't need anymore evidence. And honestly, the parts are listed on Ford Parts lists and are associated with the 3.5\10 speed combination. Isn't that a 2018 scenario?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You would think a Max Tow pkg ordered would come with one?

Does yours have the new water cooled heat exchanger on the trans pan like my Max Tow has? If so what did you do with the water cooled heat exchanger when the dealership mounted a front one?

is yours a Max Tow Pkg or standard tow pkg?

I’m super curious about this because the water cooled heat exchanger uses the same transmission cooler outlet lines coming out of the trans to feed the cooler.

These are the same outlet lines that used to go forward to the front mounted cooler! Obviously they are completely different now, running only to the heat exchanger.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
They have not installed the auxiliary cooler yet. And yes, my tranny (10 speed) has that cooler that is mounted on the tranny itself, with the very short hoses.
I didn't think it was a water cooled exchanger. Are you sure?

And no, I didn't get the Max Tow package with the truck. Nor did I require the small bump (my opinion) in capacity that it provides. I'll never tow the big numbers these new 3.5 can be configured to tow. But as stated earlier, the documentation and general knowledge is confusing on these new trucks. It COULD be interpreted that you could buy a 3.5 ecoboost, 4x4, class IV hitch, brake controller, hitch assist.......and then be limited to towing 5000lbs. That's crazy. (likely not correct)

Maybe I'm being too old school, but since SOME trucks are arriving with the front mounted auxiliary cooler, then regardless of the confusion, that would indicate increased tranny cooling capacity, right? Thus I was demanding it, even if I might be fine without it.

By the way, from the parts diagrams we looked at, the lines that go from the tranny to the auxiliary cooler are in lieu of the lines that go to the built-on-tranny-cooler. I guess that cooler just gets bypassed? And I don't think we will incorporate any of the radiator either. But I'm not the Ford Tech. So I could be wrong.
The various parts option diagrams are a bit confusing to me. But the dealership has trucks that shipped configured the way I want mine. So it can't be as confusing to them. (I hope)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They have not installed the auxiliary cooler yet. And yes, my tranny (10 speed) has that cooler that is mounted on the tranny itself, with the very short hoses.
I didn't think it was a water cooled exchanger. Are you sure?

And no, I didn't get the Max Tow package with the truck. Nor did I require the small bump (my opinion) in capacity that it provides. I'll never tow the big numbers these new 3.5 can be configured to tow. But as stated earlier, the documentation and general knowledge is confusing on these new trucks. It COULD be interpreted that you could buy a 3.5 ecoboost, 4x4, class IV hitch, brake controller, hitch assist.......and then be limited to towing 5000lbs. That's crazy. (likely not correct)

Maybe I'm being too old school, but since SOME trucks are arriving with the front mounted auxiliary cooler, then regardless of the confusion, that would indicate increased tranny cooling capacity, right? Thus I was demanding it, even if I might be fine without it.

By the way, from the parts diagrams we looked at, the lines that go from the tranny to the auxiliary cooler are in lieu of the lines that go to the built-on-tranny-cooler. I guess that cooler just gets bypassed? And I don't think we will incorporate any of the radiator either. But I'm not the Ford Tech. So I could be wrong.
The various parts option diagrams are a bit confusing to me. But the dealership has trucks that shipped configured the way I want mine. So it can't be as confusing to them. (I hope)
Absolutely certain its a water cooled heat exchanger. The larger hose lines carry coolant and tie into the radiator coolant hoses with an electronically controlled water circulation pump.

If you crawl under there or look at it on a lift there is no way to bypass this cooler the way the lines are ran. You could cut one of the trans lines and additionally tee off of it to a front mounted cooler, but you can’t just bypass it!

My belief is your dealership will be notifying you that they either came with the underneath Heat exchanger or they have the front mounted cooler. I don’t think there is any oem parts that combines both?

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Interesting. I did climb under it in the barn. But that FX4 stuff has so much cover that I couldn't get a good understanding.
So are you thinking the trucks with the air-cooled front mounted "auxiliary" coolers don't even have that tunnel mounted cooler? Or they have both?

You know, if that cooler underneath is water cooled, I might be giving it far too little credit.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
I might be really confused, but that transcooler mounted to the tranny doesn't look water cooled to me.

Wait, so the water lines are missing in this diagram?

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
This is what I thin applies to the trucks that have the other cooler.
Looks exactly like what the cell phone pic captured.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I might be really confused, but that transcooler mounted to the tranny doesn't look water cooled to me.

Wait, so the water lines are missing in this diagram?

Yes, water lines coming into that cooler are missing from that particular diagram.

Other picture shows the front mounted cooler and where it attaches at 7J302 is the same place that the other cooler attaches to the transmission at 7R081.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I think I’ve figured it out from your cooler diagrams! If you look at the diagram showing the heat exchanger cooler 7A095 and look in the upper right corner, it appears this cooler comes on all the 2018’s with the 10spd auto.

In 2017 only the 3.5 had the 10spd and they most likely just ran it in front that year as a changover. Now the 10spd comes on the 2.7 and 5.0 as well and they have standardized and switched over to the heat exchanger model.

The 2018’s you’re seeing with traditional front mounted coolers are probably 3.3 V6 with 6spd?

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
That would be awesome if that is the differentiation!
I will stop at the dealer today and verify those few with the auxiliary cooler do indeed have the non-10 speed tranny combo. If so, that will FINALLY clarify some of the confusion!

However, that would still beg to explain why there is documentation stating that a truck with the 3.5 eco, but without an official declaration of a "tow package" on the sticker would be limited to 5000lb towing. I still think that is impossible to be true if you buy a truck that comes equipped from Ford with a 3.5, Class IV hitch, OEM trailer brakes, hitch assist........... I mean, it is a TRUCK with everything there to connect to a trailer and pull it with 470lbs of torque! It'd be crazy to engineer that truck to be harmed by pulling 7000?

I get that the towing package includes the anti-sway bar, and perhaps a different tire. But those have nothing to do with harming the motor\tranny.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Ok Drifter, cheers to you fine sir!

Just got home from the dealership. Thankfully they are used to my nonsense, so me jumping out of my truck and walking around the lot sticking my face in grills, didn't even draw them outside to ask. (wish I was a fly on the wall inside though)
Anyways, they had a ton of 18's compared to the last time I did this. And for a while I didn't think I was going to find one with the auxiliary cooler. Finally I found one. Walked around to see the sticker and it was a normally aspirated V6 with the tow package.
I went in search of another. Took about 8 more trucks before I hit on the cooler. Again, the sticker was a normally aspirated V6. This time without the tow package even.

I stopped looking. Even though my sampling isn't scientifically up to snuff, I think you nailed it.

The 2018's with the 10-speeds do not come with the auxiliary front mounted trans-cooler, regardless of the tow package choices.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Just got home from the dealership. Thankfully they are used to my nonsense, so me jumping out of my truck and walking around the lot sticking my face in grills, didn't even draw them outside to ask. (wish I was a fly on the wall inside though)
Anyways, they had a ton of 18's compared to the last time I did this. And for a while I didn't think I was going to find one with the auxiliary cooler. Finally I found one. Walked around to see the sticker and it was a normally aspirated V6 with the tow package.
I went in search of another. Took about 8 more trucks before I hit on the cooler. Again, the sticker was a normally aspirated V6. This time without the tow package even.

I stopped looking. Even though my sampling isn't scientifically up to snuff, I think you nailed it.

The 2018's with the 10-speeds do not come with the auxiliary front mounted trans-cooler, regardless of the tow package choices.
Scientific enough for me, seems like you guys got to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I knew it!!! This explains this one detail that’s been driving me crazy about this 2018 truck.

Your very welcome Snakebitten.

I guess that heat exchanger cooler must be something special???

1 - 20 of 75 Posts