F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being fairly mechanical, and I've installed shocks before, what about these newer F150s? Spring compressor and all that mess needed? If so, I ain't tackling nary shock job meself.

·
Registered
868 Posts
yes this is a challenge for a first timer or shade tree mechanic !
they are not just shocks anymore, its a strut which presents 2 different levels of challenge
you can buy the complete units or buy the strut tubes and reuse the coil spring over

my opinion a healthy assortment of mechanics tools and spring compressors are a must, when dealing with or removing a coil spring you can get hurt pretty quickly without the right tool
you might be able to do the job with basic tools if you unbolted enough stuff but its so much easier if the spring can be compressed

·
Registered
181 Posts
Aside from having the proper tools, it is better to have someone who is mechanically inclined to make your job even faster.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
You can rent spring compressors from places like Autozone.

They are basic tools, but a compressed spring of this size can be dangerous/deadly.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Are you simply needing to replace your stock shocks with an OEM equivalent shock? If you could find some one close who has installed the Quick Lift set up to lift the front of their truck they may make you a good deal on the old Stock set up.....LIKE ME.

I have the old front setup off of my FX4 2013 that is all still in one piece, these would be a simple bolt in exchange that could be done in about a hours complete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts