F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just drilled the weep hole in my 2014 ecoboost platinum,i took off the front air dam,im wondering if i can leave it off or does it actually do something ,truck looks much better without it on.thanks for the replies.

·
Administrator
4,073 Posts
just drilled the weep hole in my 2014 ecoboost platinum,i took off the front air dam,im wondering if i can leave it off or does it actually do something ,truck looks much better without it on.thanks for the replies.
It is to aid in aerodynamics and "fuel economy" but it is extremely minimal gains (if even noticeable). Many people remove it for aesthetic reason and never see any negative effects. ;)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It is to aid in aerodynamics and "fuel economy" but it is extremely minimal gains (if even noticeable). Many people remove it for aesthetic reason and never see any negative effects. ;)

I thought it's function was to create a low pressue area behind the radiator so that air is pulled through the grille better. Is this just smoke and mirrors?

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
If you look closer...it actually directs air up towards the CAC and or pushs hot air out.
I took mine off, but upon further inspection realised how it had a real purpose of aerodynamics, fuel economy, and cooling effects-IMO.
I am definitely one of those cats that re- thinks the necessity for all those plastic pieces slammed under the hood & grill-lol
I put mine back on.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Did you just imply Josey Whales would leave his air-damn on his truck?

Cuz if so, I feel even better that I haven't removed mine either. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Did you just imply Josey Whales would leave his air-damn on his truck?

Cuz if so, I feel even better that I haven't removed mine either. :)

BBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
:p

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I didn't notice any changes in mileage or performance when I removed mine. Only difference is it looks better.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I didn't notice any changes in mileage or performance when I removed mine. Only difference is it looks better.
Me neither, no change in mileage really and no change in Air temps.
On the 18+ at least it doesn't look like it would direct air into the intercooler at all since there's a big bumper lip above it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
On my 14` their is a lip/notch built in to the air dam flush with the bottom of the CAC about 8-10" long :blush: that catches some lower air and directs it to the CAC.
Pic is a pinch hard to distinguish, but their is my finger in the above said area.
Ok....well pic sucks, kinda like the other pic-lol

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Had mine off for years, useless. I have never seen a difference even towing heavy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it helps direct air flow around all the bumpy things on the bottom of the truck to help with fuel economy. I took mine off before I broke it. First time hopping the berm to turn onto my unplowed road and part of the air dam would get left behind.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I also agree that is more for cooling than MPG's. If it wasn't why would we have F350's, Ram and Chevy 3500's, which don't even count in EPA mpg estimates, with bigger air dams than what we see on the F150. Its to help pull air out of the engine bay. You cna have as big a grill as you want, but if the air stacks up behind it, its not helping.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I think it helps direct air flow around all the bumpy things on the bottom of the truck to help with fuel economy. I took mine off before I broke it. First time hopping the berm to turn onto my unplowed road and part of the air dam would get left behind.
On the 15 and up there's nothing there that would direct the air to the intercooler. Apparently there is on the pre 15's though, I can't remember on my old 2013

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ugly, yes. Mileage and or cooling, I do not know for sure. It is very flexable and will be hard to crack or break. I'll leave mine on, sort of a curb feeler (if your that old), for rough trails to let me know when stuff below is getting close. KM

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
I don't actually see it when I look admiringly at a truck. Or at least it doesn't sing "see me", for some reason.

I suspect that's because a truck is already a brick to my eye? Or a truck gets put into a different visual category than say.... a low and close to the ground aerodynamic performance car. Because I DO see the hem of those sexy skirts clearly. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had taken mine off of my leveled ‘18 SCREW XLT 4wd. Looked like it was missing something, so I put it back on. To each his own, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts