F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Steve and I'm new to the forums. I recently bought a 2013 EB FX4. I am very excited to own an Ecoboost and love turbochargers :cool:. I tried a search for "E85" and "E85 tune", no results.

Has anyone tuned their truck on E85? If so, what supporting modifications were added? Performance gains? What are the factory turbos capable of producing? power wise? How much power can the stock internals handle?

I am automobile performance addict... I know the Nissan GTR platform responds very well to E85. E85 is basically a race fuel that you can get at a local Shell station, totally out-performs 93 octane on forced induction vehicles.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
In order to run E85 you'd want your fuel system to be designed to flow roughly twice the volume of fuel as you would to run gasoline. Our fuel systems are incapable of producing that much flow. If our trucks came equipped with a fuel system capable of burning E85 we would have Ecoboost F150s in the 10s right now. You will start seeing E85 tunes when we get past the obstacle that is our direct injectors. We don't have options of upgrading them yet. When larger aftermarket or OEM direct injectors become available you will see immediate gains in the Ecoboost engines that upgrade to them. They will allow more boost, E85, bigger turbo, basically everything that is hindering our performance at this point will be eliminated by a bigger direct injector.

·
Registered
339 Posts
In order to run E85 you'd want your fuel system to be designed to flow roughly twice the volume of fuel as you would to run gasoline. Our fuel systems are incapable of producing that much flow. If our trucks came equipped with a fuel system capable of burning E85 we would have Ecoboost F150s in the 10s right now. You will start seeing E85 tunes when we get past the obstacle that is our direct injectors. We don't have options of upgrading them yet. When larger aftermarket or OEM direct injectors become available you will see immediate gains in the Ecoboost engines that upgrade to them. They will allow more boost, E85, bigger turbo, basically everything that is hindering our performance at this point will be eliminated by a bigger direct injector.
Excellent comments. Very complete. This should expain to everyone the major changes that are required to run E85. Now the next challenge would be to find a place that even sells E85!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks, that pretty much answered my questions. I'm new to the ecoboost engine and these trucks... Wasn't familiar with how far modifying these engines has progressed. Hopefully someone develops a new injector soon!

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Excellent break down Nasty. Very easy to understand and to the point!

and yes, we need more E85 availability. (Even though the price is very relative to the 10% ethanol gas we get)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've got a shell station with E85 about 15min from my house. But usually E85 stations are few and far between.

·
Registered
868 Posts
anyone that has dabbled with E-85 in these engines has had to run a 2nd injector system to supply enough fuel.
i read about some mods to a Flex that was making 600 hp but it sure involves alot to get there.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I would imagine we will start seeing kits within 12 months. We are going into our 4th production year of the F150 EcoBoost, so its not a fad and the number of trucks is getting up there.

Cant wait to start seeing peoples numbers when these kits drop.

SPPD

Reactions: scap99

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello, My name is Steve and I'm new to the forums. I recently bought a 2013 EB FX4. I am very excited to own an Ecoboost and love turbochargers :cool:. I tried a search for "E85" and "E85 tune", no results.

Has anyone tuned their truck on E85? If so, what supporting modifications were added? Performance gains? What are the factory turbos capable of producing? power wise? How much power can the stock internals handle?

I am automobile performance addict... I know the Nissan GTR platform responds very well to E85. E85 is basically a race fuel that you can get at a local Shell station, totally out-performs 93 octane on forced induction vehicles.
Welcome to Ecoboost family you have a car that I want.... lol mmmmmm gtr..... Anyways yes I had the same question when I joined this forum as a matter fact I am pretty sure it was my first post. I have been searching high and low to no avail. I am hoping somebody gets something out there soon. There is nothing yet but like the other people have posted hopefully soon someone has to figure it out soon. We need as stated before by nasty injectors but the bigger problem is finding a fuel pump again as previously stated now that we are going into the fourth round you there should be enough trucks on the road with people willing to modify them that companies are working on this you'll system.

I'm working on it!
Please hurry....:p I would gladly donate my truck to testing if it would at all help speed up the process I live in South Florida. And I have access to Dynos... A Mustang dyno, a DynoJet dyno, and two other ones that I do not remember what the heck they are. :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'm in AZ so that won't work well, I also have access to dynos and turbo upgrades.
There's 3 ways to tackle this:
1. Upgraded factory DI pump - I've hit up every Mazda/Audi/BMW DI pump mfr and nobody is interested
2. Dual factory DI pumps - Requires new passenger camshaft with DI pump lobes and a new valve cover to be cast - PRICEY
3. Aux injection setup by either casting a new manifold or some type of spacer for extra injectors. This is what I did on my Flex. At moderate power levels it worked fine but now at 26psi I don't have enough resolution to get it dialed in very well. I'm going to try another controller that can do commanded AFR tuning but requires 2xO2, new MAP and then a tie into the factory ignition system for an RPM signal.

I don't have the funds to force an upgrade on the DI pumps or to make a new camshaft and valve cover.
Once we have fuel everything will be AWESOME, it's just going to take a big name player to enter that market. I do know that we have some injectors coming out soon but that's pointless without the DI pump upgrades.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Totally ignorant of hpfp design, but could a diesel pump be modified to work on a gasser?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I'm in AZ so that won't work well, I also have access to dynos and turbo upgrades.
There's 3 ways to tackle this:
1. Upgraded factory DI pump - I've hit up every Mazda/Audi/BMW DI pump mfr and nobody is interested
2. Dual factory DI pumps - Requires new passenger camshaft with DI pump lobes and a new valve cover to be cast - PRICEY
3. Aux injection setup by either casting a new manifold or some type of spacer for extra injectors. This is what I did on my Flex. At moderate power levels it worked fine but now at 26psi I don't have enough resolution to get it dialed in very well. I'm going to try another controller that can do commanded AFR tuning but requires 2xO2, new MAP and then a tie into the factory ignition system for an RPM signal.

I don't have the funds to force an upgrade on the DI pumps or to make a new camshaft and valve cover.
Once we have fuel everything will be AWESOME, it's just going to take a big name player to enter that market. I do know that we have some injectors coming out soon but that's pointless without the DI pump upgrades.
What are the specs on our pumps? What makes a DI pump different from a conventional high pressure fuel pump?

·
Registered
495 Posts
You might want to check with your dealer. There is a reason the EB are not flex fuel ie e85 compatible. Dealer informed us NOT to run it in ours. I believe it is a temp related as the combustion temps are higher with it and it will cause premature failure of the turbos do to excessive heat. There is a reason FORD didnot make these trucks flex fuel compatible.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
You might want to check with your dealer. There is a reason the EB are not flex fuel ie e85 compatible. Dealer informed us NOT to run it in ours. I believe it is a temp related as the combustion temps are higher with it and it will cause premature failure of the turbos do to excessive heat. There is a reason FORD didnot make these trucks flex fuel compatible.
It runs cooler.
The pump/injectors can't feed enough of it, and makes the motor run lean, that's why we can't run it, yet. :)

Larger injectors and pumps are on plenty of Christmas wish lists.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
I haven't seen anyone mention upgrading the fuel lines to avoid the corrosion that e85 causes over time. Have to add that in too
I don't know that the fuel lines would need swapped out.. I had a 2011 5.0 mustang that I ran E85 through with stock and 47lb injectors (not at the same time of course) with a E85 specific tune for over 10k miles and never had any problems from the fuel lines or the factory fuel filter whatsoever. I had read a lot about people posing the same question you did, but I couldn't really find any instance where someone had actually run into their gasoline fuel lines getting clogged up from running the E85 through them? I kept coming across people saying that the newer fuel lines in vehicles would support the corn just fine because of the ethanol content in gasoline (even though the ethanol content of the two fuels is LOTS different). That being said I also never came across anyone that had run E85 in a gasoline designed fuel system for 70k miles with zero problems either.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't know that the fuel lines would need swapped out.. I had a 2011 5.0 mustang that I ran E85 through with stock and 47lb injectors (not at the same time of course) with a E85 specific tune for over 10k miles and never had any problems from the fuel lines or the factory fuel filter whatsoever. I had read a lot about people posing the same question you did, but I couldn't really find any instance where someone had actually run into their gasoline fuel lines getting clogged up from running the E85 through them? I kept coming across people saying that the newer fuel lines in vehicles would support the corn just fine because of the ethanol content in gasoline (even though the ethanol content of the two fuels is LOTS different). That being said I also never came across anyone that had run E85 in a gasoline designed fuel system for 70k miles with zero problems either.
Seems the older vehicles have their fuel lines rust over time but like you said not quite sure on the new ones. Maybe one of these guys will try and let us know.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The alchohol content in E85 makes it more corrosive than gasoline. It attacks the soft parts of the fuel system. The O-rings and rubber sections of line and sich. Vehicles that are rated to use E85 have soft parts that are designed to resist. Folks running E85 in vehicles who's fuel system isn't designed or modified for it are in line for trouble. The soft parts will break down over time. It doesn't happen over night and can take a long time to show up but if you run it long enough and have the vehicle long enough it will eventually have to be addressed. Given that it seems every F-150 except the Ecoboost can run flex fuel there is a chance that our trucks have E85 compliant parts but its best to know for sure before making the switch. The same can be said for gasoline that contains the allowed 10% ethanol. It is also more corrosive but eats away at softs parts at a far far slower rate than E85.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts