F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about the silver color, but the matte black ones I have hated since day one. It does not seem to be a powder coat, anyone know what it is? If you look at them wrong, they scratch/swirl. The material is very finicky applying wax, cleaning etc. These products always leave streaks, don't apply correctly etc. When a rock hits them, it doesn't really chip, it just dents the wheel/color. It is all very odd.

Anyways today I had to get an alignment and even though the laser circle mount deals are supposed to attach to the tire, the center portion still touches the rim. These ****ing things left swirls/light scratches on EVERY.SINGLE.SPOKE in a circular pattern. I didnt think they were going to touch as the shop said they didnt attaching to the tire but it clearly did and by the time I saw, it was too late. I spent 2.5hours using light compound and a hand microfiber pad polishing all these out. Got most of marks out that way, but not everything, enough where you cant see anything unless your a few inches away in the right light.

My caution is, have a shop put a microfiber on the rim before mounting these things to prevent this. I dont think this will mess up the machine from reading correctly. It will save you a lot of heart ache and time.

·
Administrator
7,772 Posts
You must have a bad set of the rims then...or you are applying too much time/effort/product to them.

On my 2013 I never used anything other than soap and water on them and NEVER had scratches/swirls in them. And I never had any "Dents" in them but did curb one wheel and had a 2" scratch through the black material into the metal...which I used a sharpie to cover up.

I also never had any issues with the rims after I put new tires on them.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Those wheels sound like a nightmare. I have never had a set that would streak up with any product applied. Were they possibly repainted and poorly prepped?

·
Administrator
7,772 Posts
Those wheels sound like a nightmare. I have never had a set that would streak up with any product applied. Were they possibly repainted and poorly prepped?
He bought his Tremor new. They should be the same exact wheels that came with the Appearance package truck, I wouldn't think there would be any change between them and the Tremor wheels.

@WooBoost post up some photos of these issues you are seeing?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont have pics because I already fixed it, for the most part, got about 95% of the light scratches out. This has been years in the making, I just wanted to rant a little. The wheels get very fine scratch/swirl very easy.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts