F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up the new Garretts for my 2018 and was looking at the compressor wheels and saw what looked like dust or debris. I looked closer and saw this...

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive side-view mirror
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Tire Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber

I work in military aviation and we wouldn't send something like this. I'm not sure if the standard is lower in the automotive industry, but I can't see Quality Assurance at Garrett signing off on this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What are you saying the defect is? From the picture it looks like left over cutting oil on the compressor.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yeah, the quality of the pictures aren't that great, but they still look like holes and possibly cracks. If you're talking about the red in some of the pictures, that's just from the camera dealing with the lighting. There's no actual red on the wheel.

Is that a complete perforation in the second photo? I'm with you, I don't think those are very good quality for the price if that's what they're selling.
Definitely looks like it.

I'm interested to hear the response myself. I personally don't have a clue, but your background certainly warrants the question.
If I had to guess, I doubt the automobile Turbo meets military or Aviation standards though.
The gist of Garrett Program Manager Niko Pouyoukas response to my inquiry was to talk to the vendor so they can start the RMA process, which I had already done. He also said, "Little holes like that usually come from debris being introduced to the wheel when spinning. . But I'm not sure how or when it started happening." Yes, Mr. Pouyoukas, it does look like Garrett put a completely used compressor wheel into a brand new turbo assembly.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If anything it's just little scratches from aluminum chips from the Machining process. I highly doubt it's anything to worry about.

I've pushed these turbos pretty hard and have to see any issues on the trucks I've tuned using them. That includes up to 700rwhp. I don't think you'll have any issues.

I really think you are making a big deal out of nothing.... did you try whipping the blade off? like i said in the picture is just looks like machine oil and some aluminum shaving/chips from production/assembly.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Your assessment is extremely odd. It's as if you don't even notice obvious holes in the metal when others have easily pointed them out. Have you inspected the compressor wheels on those turbos you say you've pushed? Do you sincerely believe that everyone who buys the same product will have the same exact experience? Do you not understand how structural integrity on moving parts should be a concern when safety and thousands of dollars are at stake? What's your game?

Reactions: BMWk75
1 - 3 of 3 Posts