F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but I would like to know as well. Specifically a locking cap. 36 gallons is a lot to leave just open

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Good designed them so that they are unable to be siphened. They are more secure that the traditional twist caps that anyone can extract gas from.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Unless it has something fancy in the tank all you need is a funnel, like the one that comes with the truck. That'll get the flap open and then you just pull out whatever you need.

·
Registered
868 Posts
someone should try that because i dont actually know but i bet there is a screen down in the filler neck some where to prevent a rubber hose from passing thru
this isnt Fords first rodeo and i can believe they would leave thousands and thousands of customers fuel exposed to the hoodlums.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i also forgot to mention there are numerous locking gas caps out there available for those looking to keep things more secure !

here is one right from Ford for $25
http://accessories.ford.com/locking-fuel-plug.html
Trouble is that anyone REALLY wanting your gas is gonna get it, and they won't waste time/effort worrying about filler caps/siphons when the exposed bottom of the tank can easily be drilled, allowing gravity to do the rest far more efficiently and with less personal risk to the a-hole douchebag that has just ruined your day/week/month...

With this in mind, I'd rather that if they want it THAT bad, then they DID try to siphon it... Replacing stolen gas may be expensive, but it's a shed-load cheaper (and relatively more convenient) than replacing gas AND tank...

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
That's my thinking for the most part... I always lock my truck and car due to my over-cautious girlfriend, but I believe that if thy want something... They're going to get it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I can't stop someone with a drill. I can convince a common thief to move on to another truck from mine over extra 5 mins to drill my tank vs putting in a siphon on an unlocked tank.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I can't stop someone with a drill. I can convince a common thief to move on to another truck from mine over extra 5 mins to drill my tank vs putting in a siphon on an unlocked tank.
Nope can't stop a drill. But to answer some questions asked here from what I was told about these capless filler necks, there is a ball like valve that will let the fuel by but not a hose to siphon what's in the tank.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hope that's not true incase I ever had to get fuel out of my own tank. How do they expect you to drain the tank if you have to replace a fuel pump? 36 gallons at around 7lbs a gallon is potentially 252 lbs I'd have to deal with. I like ford for the most part, but sometimes they way over complicate things. I'm just going to test this weekend and see how it turns out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bought the Ford locking filler neck plug last night. Works great, isn't much more effort. Gives a bit of peace of mind that someone won't just dump something in there to screw with the truck.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
393 Posts
Does it have a tether so it doesn't get misplaced when your filling up the truck? Or do you just hold onto it until your done filling up?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Bought the Ford locking filler neck plug last night. Works great, isn't much more effort. Gives a bit of peace of mind that someone won't just dump something in there to screw with the truck.

I didn't know such thing existed. Where did you get it from? I'm Googling that.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
But, most crooks are on a very limited time budget - they want to get out fast.

We had locking gas caps on our company vans, and that was the ONE THING they didn't steal. And yes, the one van we had which didn't have a locking cap, did get it's gas siphoned ...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does it have a tether so it doesn't get misplaced when your filling up the truck? Or do you just hold onto it until your done filling up?
You hang onto it. I typically put it in my pocket - it's quite small. That way i can't forget it, and if I forget to put it back in, i can just do it when I stop again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts