F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check my oil level and it was very high and smells like gas. Dealer did a free oil change

·
Registered
868 Posts
byproduct of direct injection !
cure is to drive it like it is stolen and burn some of the fuel off !

·
Registered
868 Posts
thats a part number for Borla Stainless Cat back !
next my question is,
what does it have to do with milking a duck ?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I do drive it hard
I'll kick it up a bit
i guess you might have interpreted that incorrectly !
i didnt mean jump in it and go like hell to the neighbors house up the block and shut it off.
longer runs to get up to full operating temp and burn off some of the fuel vapors is better than stop and go.

·
Registered
523 Posts
byproduct of direct injection !
cure is to drive it like it is stolen and burn some of the fuel off !
That is not correct with fuel in oil being a byproduct of direct injection. It's more common for Ford direct injection to have a trace or small percentage of fuel in oil, but it's not engineered to dump raw fuel into oil, it's not a normal, desired, or wanted condition. Fuel in oil lowers the oil viscosity and flashpoint. It degrades the oil's capability to do it's job.

There are oil samples posted all over the internet that showcases direct injection applications with zero fuel in oil. I had a direct injection vehicle before the F150 EB with 123k miles and zero fuel in oil.

Fuel in oil will not burn off. As it would require a greater quantity of oil that's contaminated with fuel to make it past the oil and compression ring into the cylinder, than is being directly placed into the oil by injectors themselves.

Respectfully.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Check my oil level and it was very high and smells like gas. Dealer did a free oil change
I would recommend capturing a sample of the oil and sending it to Blackstone or anyone for analysis. If there's enough fuel present to visibly raise the oil level on the dip stick, there may be a problem manifesting itself. An oil change isn't going to remediate a fuel in oil symptom.

·
Registered
523 Posts
For those that seem to think the entire internet is limited to 140 charcters per communiction. There is TSB #14-0014 released 1/20/14 that addresses the fuel in oil issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have seen 2 f150 ecoboost being towed in. There is like 6 waiting for the fix ahead of mine.
Since my oil change 6 days ago the oil level went up over 1 inch. So I have a rental now.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I have seen 2 f150 ecoboost being towed in. There is like 6 waiting for the fix ahead of mine.
Since my oil change 6 days ago the oil level went up over 1 inch. So I have a rental now.
I don't know how much fuel it takes to raise the oil level an inch, but I can only imagine that the dipstick is coming out with very little oil sticking to it....as it's going to be so freaking thin it's just a shiny wet spot.

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Joe, if I am understanding the TSB correctly, the fix is to heat the engine oil allowing the unburnt fuel to "flash off" steadily? But when not running (when the block heater is plugged in) there is no evacuation taking place of the crankcase, so I am assuming they intend for some of the vapors to vent through the cleanside tube? Whats your take..

·
Registered
523 Posts
Joe, if I am understanding the TSB correctly, the fix is to heat the engine oil allowing the unburnt fuel to "flash off" steadily? But when not running (when the block heater is plugged in) there is no evacuation taking place of the crankcase, so I am assuming they intend for some of the vapors to vent through the cleanside tube? Whats your take..
I don't have a take.

We have what Ford provided. With TSB #14-0014 they're providing provide a block heater, change engine oil and filter, replacing a vacuum booster line different part depending on year, replacing the PCV valve or assembly, and finally reprogramming the ABS and PCM.

General consensus is to use less fuel at cold startup to light the primary cats. Possibly change the PVC evacuation rate or volume.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like it's only a problem doing short runs when it's -15c or less
They recommend to plug it in overnight when it's that cold

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Well my truck gets short trips 5km and under lots and it has been very cold this winter avg -10 to -15 Celsius. 7000km since last oil change and the level is right on or slightly below full and maybe a slight hint of fuel but I think it is just smelly used oil.

So no issues here.

These trucks do how ever run far to rich at start up and that is where we lose so much MPG.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts