F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trucks been sitting for about 7 days the dealership just redid all my timing chain parts components and everything to the newest tsb. They told me if I let it set more than 2 days I need to get oil to the engine before i start it or it could cause premature timing chain wear or mesh it up again. Anyone ever hear about that? If so is it true and how do you do it?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it for 20 secs at a time. wait a min or so inbetween so the starter can cool down. itll get some oil up into the pump and stuff.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Yep what he said. Just did this after my turbo install.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Well that's kinda rediculous

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
As the above mentioned. Watch the oil pressure gauge, when the needle moves to indicate pressure, you're good to go.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is this thread a joke??? I must have missed that procedure in my owners manual.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hmmm... I've never heard of this. I came back from a 7 day cruise earlier this year and just started it right up and drove home. Should I be doing this whenever my truck sits for more than a few days?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's just what the people at the dealership told me after I had my timing chain and all the components replaced. They said more than 3 days

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
This certainly seems true as the first time I heard timing chain rattle was after a weeks vacation. None since. I plan on using the technique anytime the truck sits more than 3 days. Although I'm worried this will put extra wear on the starter I suppose a starter is much cheaper than a timing chain job.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'm probably wrong here but I thought the noise is coming from the phasers not really the chain. So doing the cranking thing is just pumping up the components so they are pressurized and lubed? Is there oil that is squirted on the chain during cranking?

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
An interesting subject we have here

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wonder if a pre-luber/post-luber kit should be installed. It is a external 12vdc oil pump which primes the oil prior to starting and then runs for 2-3 minutes on shutdown to cool the turbos.

·
Registered
156 Posts
hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it for 20 secs at a time. wait a min or so inbetween so the starter can cool down. itll get some oil up into the pump and stuff.
Alright WooBoost I give ... I'm missing sumtin here....color me stupid or my elevator doesn't seem to go all the way to the top floor on this one.....Hold the gas pedal to the floor.....crank it for 20 seconds...won't it start up or does holding down the gas pedal keep it from starting?. I have no friggen clue why it wouldn't fire up. An inquiring mind wants to know. Please explain to this old man?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Alright WooBoost I give ... I'm missing sumtin here....color me stupid or my elevator doesn't seem to go all the way to the top floor on this one.....Hold the gas pedal to the floor.....crank it for 20 seconds...won't it start up or does holding down the gas pedal keep it from starting?. I have no friggen clue why it wouldn't fire up. An inquiring mind wants to know. Please explain to this old man?
Everything is electric so the ecu can sense when when the pedal is being depressed and does not allow the motor to start (either by cutting spark or fuel, probably both) but the starter still turns the motor over which will pump oil

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Tried the startup technique this morning since I work from home a few days a week and the truck sat. Oil pressure went up after about 10 seconds of cranking. Started smooth as butter.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts