F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been on the look out to find a good sounding exhaust system for the ecoboost. Like a lot of people on here, this has almost been more of a quest. I believe I have found the winner. I pulled the trigger on the system about a month ago for 305 shipped. Here is what I think:

What: Gibson 9209 Aluminized Cat back exhaust System
Ease of install: Fairly easy. I had my wife help me when lining up the tail pipes. I can not comment on whether the system is truly 100% Plug n Play. I cut my flange off of the stock exhaust for a previous exhaust system to have a full 3" exhaust. So, for this system I had to cut the flange off the pipe that came with the system and work around it.
Quality: I had no issues installing the system and everything seems to have good welds and hangers were where they were supposed to be. Also, this system delete the Resonator, does not appear to do so in the stock photos, the pipe prior to the muffler is straight and goes straight to the flange. The muffler is probably heavier than the stock unit. This system is not light. The muffler is not chambered, it is a straight through design.

Sound: Moderate exterior sound, mild interior. I am working on making a video, but wanted it to break in for a couple weeks first. The first week was super quiet, almost too quiet. Now it has a little rumble. No drone! It can be done! Sounds good at WOT inside and out. Had the wife floor it when she drove next to me the other day and it sounds awesome outside, very deep.

Bottom Line: I think this system is awesome! It is exactly what I was looking for: looks, no drone, moderate sound outside. If you get into it, it will come alive. I would absolutely buy this system again! Also, I installed the tips rotated 90 deg, I like the look they give like that.

I'll post a video when I get one loaded up.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope to see a few more of these around.

·
Registered
221 Posts
First of all, beautiful truck. Gibson, traditionally, has made excellent quality exhaust systems. Thanks for the review and Loving the dual tips. Looking forward to the video.

Reactions: Renegade Medic

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I too look forward to the video. Every Gibson exhaust I've ever heard I've really liked.
They are mellow and mostly understated.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally! Here it is: I think the videos portray the sound very well. Obviously HD is better for more accurate sound.

Headphone users beware around 2:07.

I hope this can help some people with their decisions. Again, no drone at all. I did consider the Banks system, but it seemed a little too quiet. This one is nice and deep without being Drone-y.
Thanks again to everyone for stopping by and checking out my truck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sounds even better than I imagined. Thanks for posting the vid!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Yeeeeupp! I want it!

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
No drone @ 2000 rpm. Ya mine also. Haha. Try revving 3-4 & let's hear the interior.

Nice truck & nice sounding exhaust. Are you bone stock the rest or did I not read enough?

Sent from my non using Tapatalk in ??

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
I like the sound of the Raptor exhaust on my 2014 E.B. Limited. It's just right for me. Absolutely no drone sound in the cab. I changed the stock Raptor tip to Harley Davidson exhaust tips.

what exactly is a "Raptor" exhaust? 3"? 3.5"? 4"? Straight pipe? Resonators? What type muffler?

Sent from my non using Tapatalk in ??

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been contemplating an exhaust. Of course, I didn't have the truck when my boss changed out his stock exhaust on his Raptor then told the Ford dealer to trash it. Less than a month later I got my truck and started doing some research.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I can say, we took a trip to New Orleans a couple weeks ago (10 hour drive), no issues with drone/noise. My wife slept in the back most of the way, indicating how quiet it is at highway speeds. I really can not say enough good things about this system. It rocks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you dont happen to have anything else done to it do you, like Y pipe, down pipes, resonator, etc? just the exhaust system? this is the best sounding eco exhaust ive heard!
Love it!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nothing else done to the truck. Hopefully a tune in the near future. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts