F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2018 F150 King Ranch (45k kms, 30k miles) and am thrilled with the 3.5L ecoboost with twin turbo's. I am anxious to learn all I can about it and how to properly maintain it as well. I changed the oil immediately after purchase and used a recommended Amsoil flush and filled it with Amsoil 5W30 signature series full synthetic with Amsoil filter. This proved to be an expensive procedure but want to keep it running well. I live in northern Alberta Canada so it will get the severe winter treatment. Again, happy to stumble across this forum and looking forward to the motor talk.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site.. Doing regular oil changes is the consensus for sure and you'll get a lot of miles out of your F150 Eco if you change at least every 5,000 miles or so.. Does not really matter what oil it is, as long as it meets Fords specs and you don't follow that stupid 10,000 mile oil change interval the manual (and the oil change monitor) says you can go.. ha, ha..

But just not sure on what an "Amsoil Flush" is??

Why would you have to do this before putting Amsoil in the crankcase?? Especially with so little miles on the engine to begin with?

Anyway, I have no clue on the current snake oils out there (all of them.. Not just Amsoil)... I run what I run and have used Amsoil in the past too (not in my current F150).. Never an issue with what I have used... Just expensive to do every 5,000 miles with the Amsoil...

I'm an old fart and been around since the days you had to punch a can of oil with a pointy spout and dump it into your rig without spilling half of it at the same time! ha, ha..

In the end, use what you feel best for you and that's great. No judging here, from me.. ha, ha.. :)

Remember, I'm an old fart, so respect your elders... :)

Mitch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi and welcome to the site.. Doing regular oil changes is the consensus for sure and you'll get a lot of miles out of your F150 Eco if you change at least every 5,000 miles or so.. Does not really matter what oil it is, as long as it meets Fords specs and you don't follow that stupid 10,000 mile oil change interval the manual (and the oil change monitor) says you can go.. ha, ha..

But just not sure on what an "Amsoil Flush" is??

Why would you have to do this before putting Amsoil in the crankcase?? Especially with so little miles on the engine to begin with?

Anyway, I have no clue on the current snake oils out there (all of them.. Not just Amsoil)... I run what I run and have used Amsoil in the past too (not in my current F150).. Never an issue with what I have used... Just expensive to do every 5,000 miles with the Amsoil...

I'm an old fart and been around since the days you had to punch a can of oil with a pointy spout and dump it into your rig without spilling half of it at the same time! ha, ha..

In the end, use what you feel best for you and that's great. No judging here, from me.. ha, ha.. :)

Remember, I'm an old fart, so respect your elders... :)

Mitch
Thanks for your feedback, old fart here as well, turning 61 next week. I had done a bunch of reading on the net and found that a couple people had mentioned that they flushed their engine before starting it on a diet of amsoil. I figured it wasn't hurting anything by taking the extra step so I did it. I use mobil 1 full synthetic in everything else i drive and run but made the decision to run the amsoil on account of the turbos. And ya, looks like that is gonna run about $150 CAD every 5,000 kms. Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ha, you are just a couple of years older than me, so there you go fellow old fart!.. Okay, so you know the deal and it sounds like you have done your research.

I am using the Pennzoil Platinum flavor and the MC oil filter in my 13 that 108,000 miles on it now.. I ran that in my old 97 F150 with the 5.4 in it forever too and it had 255,000 miles on it when I traded it for the 13. It was running great too.. Just wanted the new stuff and about 100 hp more and some 100 more torque with the Eco. :)

In the end, it's what works best for you and as long as it works, that's what matters most!

Take care and enjoy the BOOST! :)

Mitch

Reactions: fordfella

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts
Welcome !
I might use 5-20 or 0-30 oil if I lived where it gets that cold. At least in the winter.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Ford has made it VERY clear to dealers that these "snake oil" flushes are not needed nor permitted. Not to mention that most Scamsoil products are NOT API-certified (they will claim "meets API standards" but won't display the starburst). For both of these reasons, Ford could choose to not honor the remaining powertrain warranty.

Your engine needs a diet of clean, top-tier, API-certified oil every 5K (less if you idel a ton). Common products include Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, etc. Even the synthetic oil from Costco/Kirkland has been found to be quite good. It needs a quality filter with a good anti-drainback valve - and it's hard to do better than a Motorcraft in this regard (plus they're cheap at China-Mart). And they need to be driven... which means frequent Italian tuneups! Get the engine hot and let the turbos do their job.

I would likely consider a quality 0W30, considering your climate. Either way, your engine will benefit far more from a shorter oil change interval than it will from snake oil.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,043 Posts
I will never be convinced Amsoil or any other motor oil is better than Motorcraft, Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil 1, etc.

·
Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
230 Posts
You could virtue-signal your righteousness in how much you spend “to give your baby only the best.” At least at first it is honest intent to do the right thing. Many virtue signal by declaring, “Ford is an idiot for 10,000 mile drain interval“ without any evidence. You can very simply mail a sample of your oil for analysis and know for fact what is happening. Cost about $30. Know, no guessing. Regular UOA for your truck establishes a baseline so when/if something changes in the report you know problems are coming.

Before buying a new truck I looked very hard at several commercial off-lease F-150 3.5EB with 150,000+ miles. Maintenance records showed intervals were exactly as Ford specified, 10,000 miles for oil, 100,000 for transmission and some other major service (coolant?) None had phaser replacements. All I looked at were running well, looked rough, but in the end I got a new truck equipped better (4x4) and more to my liking for less than 3x the asking price of well-used.

Amsoil has genuine API/SAE certified oils, but also has self-certified oils. Find an oil which meets the Ford WSS specification listed in your owner’s manual. No junk meets Ford’s spec. Doesn’t matter synthetic, refined, or blend, there are no enhanced industry performance specifications an oil must meet to be sold as synthetic, only marketing standards stipulating “accepted synthetic processes” be used with no requirement upon what is actually produced.

I believe if you use only the most highly lauded oil on Bob Is The Oil Guy you will get 500,000 trouble-free miles out of your truck. If you use whatever correct WSS rated oil you find at Walmart or Costco you might only get 495,000 miles. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
In the end, it's what works best for you and as long as it works, that's what matters most!

Take care and enjoy the BOOST! :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
For 30 bucks I can change the oil (if I had a mind to, which I don’t). I never understood the need for an oil analysis at that price point. Now iffin I was looking at changing oil on a multi gallon big motor it might be worth $30 to know when the oil should be changed. But only once. After that you would know pretty much. On the other hand an analysis later on in the engines life might be useful in determining when to rebuild. On our piddling little engines a $30 oil analysis at every 5000 mile oil change would amount to $9,000 @ 150K miles. Bring on the “ya but’s”

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,449 Posts
Lol
It's an oil thread!
They pop up anytime someone says they use Amsoil.
Again, WELCOME aboard new KingRancher.
I just want you to know Amsoil was in my 2018 KingRanch, is in my new Platinum, my Porsche, my Mazdarati...
You get the idea.
Heck if I know if it's better than Motorcraft? Lol

I just like how it makes me feel. :)
And I get EXCELLENT Blackstone reports, so there's that?

Oil threads are the best!

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Welcome to the site, fordfella. and your first step into on of the threads dog-mines.
Amsoil is one of those "fighting words"! But a lot of folks use it and have good results, it's in my own F150 and will stay in use.
The "flush" is mostly a procedure to clean the old engine oil particularly the remains of any additive packages that can conflict from changing brands. A lot of owners swap oil like underrware from brand to brand, not a good thing long term no matter what brand is used. And as pointed out SE is fully certified.
Far as being an "old fart" my grand-kids refer to me in such a manner! I'd be happy to mix tales of the classic performance/muscle car era with anyone here. KM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the feedback on oil;, which is actually led me to the forum. I've esearched it enough that I feel I'm on the right track. Is it overkill? Possibly, and I may step back a bit in years to come. But at the very least I will prolly use a motorcraft oil. I AM curious about a viscosity change in winter due to extreme temperatures. I'm lookinf for some info from forum members that live in the colder parts of Canada. Again, thanks for the conversation, everything is helpful.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Out of the online manual

"Alternative Engine Oil for Extremely Cold Climates
To improve engine cold start performance, we recommend that you use the following alternative engine oil in extremely cold climates, where the ambient temperature reaches -30°C or below.
Name Specification
Motorcraft® SAE 0W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil: Engine oil - SAE 0W-30 XO-0W30-QSP​
WSS-M2C953-A1​
Missing Image

2018 F-150"

Although kind of costly Amsoil SE has some impresive numbers as far a votility, film strength, and lubricity. As a WI product booster I'll keep spending the $100 every 5000 miles on it. KM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Out of the online manual

"Alternative Engine Oil for Extremely Cold Climates
To improve engine cold start performance, we recommend that you use the following alternative engine oil in extremely cold climates, where the ambient temperature reaches -30°C or below.
Name Specification
Motorcraft® SAE 0W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil: Engine oil - SAE 0W-30 XO-0W30-QSP​
WSS-M2C953-A1​
Missing Image

2018 F-150"

Although kind of costly Amsoil SE has some impresive numbers as far a votility, film strength, and lubricity. As a WI product booster I'll keep spending the $100 every 5000 miles on it. KM
Ya so according to that, I maybe should have considered the 0W30, but since I have less than 400 miles on my 5W30 change, I will wait. I may just plug in the block heater when it starts to dip below -30c. But this is good to know, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I believe if you use only the most highly lauded oil on Bob Is The Oil Guy
Ahh, BITOG. You could go post on there "motor oil is brown". You would receive 500 replies arguing over the exact shade of brown. Someone would have to point out that you could use transmission fluid for a short period and that's pink, so does it count. And at least one Amsoil whacker would have to come along and swear about how much better it is and how it doesn't actually have to carry the starburst.

All would agree that, regardless of what you use - from dumping in pure bunker oil to running purified baby seal oil, your engine is going to lock up and die catastrophically within the next thousand miles.

Oh, and merely walking by an Orange Can of Death might cause your truck to spontaneously combust.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts