F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m downsizing a lot since I’m selling my business. I tow a 24’ Hydrasports weighing about 5000lbs. Am I going to be in for a shock on handling characteristics?
Should I beef the suspension up?
If so, recommendations?
Thanks,
PS it’s a 2019

·
Registered
594 Posts
A 5000lb boat should tow quite well due to aerodynamics. I would hook it up and give it a try. While the f150 is quite a bit lighter and perhaps less stable, 5k lbs isn't really an issue.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
No, I think you will do just fine with a boat. I pull a 5500 lb 24' travel trailer, which is far more aero drag and probably more tongue weight than your boat.

Worst case, get a set of Airlift Ride Control airbags or sumo springs and a set of Bilstein shocks if its a little loose when hooked up. That will tighten it right up.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I did the opposite. My F150 pulled a couple of 6500 lb. travel trailers. I only moved to the F350 because it wasn't a match for the new fifth wheel. You will likely be surprised how well that little V6 will pull the trailer.

The hitch rating is right there (5K), without weight distribution. You would probably be a bit floaty, without a means to put weight back on the front axle. The stock P rated tires are never the best for towing. Following TCPs, try it out suggestion; make sure you air up to max sidewall rated before you do that.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
2,268 Posts
A 5000lb boat should tow quite well due to aerodynamics. I would hook it up and give it a try. While the f150 is quite a bit lighter and perhaps less stable, 5k lbs isn't really an issue.
Hellwig antisway bars and XL tires will stabilize the tow alot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. It’s a strange feeling truck after the 1 ton beast I had. I think I’ll want to buff the suspension up a bit just to make it a bit more truckish, is that a word? Any more suggestions gratefully excepted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at the info on the Hellwig stabilizer bar, pricy but sounds effective. I’ll start there.
still miss my one ton 6.7 but life goes on. I am very impressed with the balls to the wall power of the 3.5. Just need to get the truck where I’d like it to be. Truckish.

·
Modinstrator
2,996 Posts
Bilstein 5100’s and Hellwig anti-sway bars are very popular choices on this forum and in my opinion a good place to start. You can get both the rear bar and upgrade the front bar if you’re looking to make things a bit stiffer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the added info. I have to pull over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa bay often with 45 mph cross winds so stability is a big factor.

·
Modinstrator
2,996 Posts
PS: don’t want to lift it much if at all. I’m old.
Beautiful part of the 5100’s is that you don’t need to but if you want up to 2” in the front you can. They are significantly stiffer than the OE shocks.

By the way ”old” is a discussion had quite frequently around here.

·
Registered
2014 Ingot Silver SCrew FX4 MaxTow
107 Posts
You’ll be amazed at what that truck will do. I went from an 05 F350 to my Ecoboost and the only thing I miss besides the screaming yellow paint is the brakes when I have my toy hauler loaded down. 5100’s and a rear sway bar will be plenty for “only” 5K. Do boat trailers use weight distribution hitches?

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
2,268 Posts
I suppose you can use a WDH on about any trailer the hangers and perches will fit/mount on correctly.

Reactions: GearHead_1
1 - 14 of 14 Posts