F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in South Texas. I thought about a DSL, but I dont want the expense and extra cost and I dont think I would ever benefit from the capacity. I'll never pull more than about a 7500LB trailer.

Searching auto-trader is time consuming and difficult because foolasses cut/paste the same descriptions so I can't really tell what I'm looking at unless they post a VIN tag picture. Auto trader listings are completely worthless. Some say its one thing, but the VIN sticker clearly does not show the 3:73 axle. Extended mirrors are a good indicator, but not unless I can see the VIN tag to confirm the axle.

I have a couple requirements.

The 3.5 ecoboost Engine
4x4
I want the max tow package that brings the GVWR on the sticker up to the 7350 or 7000+ range, the highest I can get.( I'm not even sure this is accurate ) The highest I've seen is 7350 on the VIN tags.
3:73 Axle
NO MODIFICATIONS ( namely to suspension for lifting and big stupid tires ) I want it all stock.
$25K is about my limit on the budget.

I don't want any of the electronics crap, and, actually prefer an extended fleet style cab and a long bed and white or black. I dont need a crew cab.

Does anyone recommend using the carpro guy's certified dealers ? I thought about calling one of them and asking them to look for one for me vs a private sale. Down here in TX, its real hard to find trucks that dont have silly lift kits and big oversize tires that are worthless to me. I dont need info-tainment BS, I actually enjoy road trips with just road noise.

Does the 3:73 axle option ONLY come with other items such as mirrors or crew cab? Anything that can make searching easier that you guys might know, I would appreciate.

( have not ruled out possibly an F250 with the 6.2 Gas engine. But Leaning towards the F150 )

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
:eek:

7500-8000 would be the max
You didn't specify what year you're looking to purchase, but 15-up 3.5L trucks with maxtow come with 3.55 gears. 3.73 only available with max payload package.
I believe the tow mirrors are an add-on nowadays regardless of package.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't specify what year you're looking to purchase, but 15-up 3.5L trucks with maxtow come with 3.55 gears. 3.73 only available with max payload package.
I believe the tow mirrors are an add-on nowadays regardless of package.
I'm going to assume 15 and up would be the year I would be considering late next year to keep me within 5 year old truck range.

Since I want the 3:73 max payload then I need to be looking for that keyword in for-sale listings?

I've seen some that say that, that are the 2.7 engines. The online for-sale listings have really been a hassle trying to search through.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'm going to assume 15 and up would be the year I would be considering late next year to keep me within 5 year old truck range.

Since I want the 3:73 max payload then I need to be looking for that keyword in for-sale listings?

I've seen some that say that, that are the 2.7 engines. The online for-sale listings have really been a hassle trying to search through.
On the older trucks it was easy to see because the HD payload package had 7 lug bolt pattern.
On the 15-up you'll have to check the payload rating on the door jamb, or run the vin through a decoder.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the older trucks it was easy to see because the HD payload package had 7 lug bolt pattern.
On the 15-up you'll have to check the payload rating on the door jamb, or run the vin through a decoder.

I assumed the VIN didn't show that specific detail. Nice.

What should I be looking for when I check the VIN?

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
On the 15 and up you don't need 3.73s to tow 8K. Heck a 3.15 gear will tow that.

For 8k lbs just find a truck that has payload to spare with a 3.5 engine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the 15 and up you don't need 3.73s to tow 8K. Heck a 3.15 gear will tow that.

For 8k lbs just find a truck that has payload to spare with a 3.5 engine.

It really has nothing to do with need.

I want the 3:73 to better pull mountain roads in the Rocky Mtn region. Maybe I will pull a 9K trailer in a few years. Probably not, but I want the MAX I can get in the F150.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
The odds of you finding a HD payload with 3.73s are slim to none. MAX TOW on 15+ comes with 3.55. When they reduced body weight on the alum trucks they also reduced the gearing by one size.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...ok this is what i need to know . So far the only place I've seen one with 3.73 is canada.

So if i must have the 3.55, is that most common in a particular model number?

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Any max tow truck will have 3.55 2015 and newer. 2011- 2014 max tow will have 3.73s. Hdpp will have 4.10.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Any max tow truck will have 3.55 2015 and newer. 2011- 2014 max tow will have 3.73s. Hdpp will have 4.10.
I don't think that is true, correct me if wrong. HDPP has 373 11-14. for 15+ it gets 3.73 and the 9.75 axle...which is stock in 14 and earlier. The only trucks with 4.10 stock are v8 raptor, Tremor and it is optional on eco raptor.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
I don't think that is true, correct me if wrong. HDPP has 373 11-14. for 15+ it gets 3.73 and the 9.75 axle...which is stock in 14 and earlier. The only trucks with 4.10 stock are v8 raptor, Tremor and it is optional on eco raptor.
2012 towing guide shows 4.10 available with max tow and Hdpp on 3.5 ecoboost super/ crew cabs.

·
Administrator
9,690 Posts
Also, be aware that when you step up to 3.73 and the heavy payload package, you actually sacrifice some towing capacity. The 3.55 MaxTow has the greatest towing capacity. Although for 8-9k any of them will have gcvwr to spare. You could get an '18 or newer 2.7 eco configured to tow 9k.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, be aware that when you step up to 3.73 and the heavy payload package, you actually sacrifice some towing capacity. The 3.55 MaxTow has the greatest towing capacity. Although for 8-9k any of them will have gcvwr to spare. You could get an '18 or newer 2.7 eco configured to tow 9k.
Budget dictates 25K. So nothing new for me.

Is there a specific model I should look for? Or avoid? Such as the Lariat? I dont really want all the luxury BS Anyway. I just want the most towing capacity and weight carrying I can get in the f150. But I want the proper gear ratio for pulling rocky mountain roads.

·
Administrator
9,690 Posts
Well, you have to choose between most towing capacity OR weight carrying.

Honestly I'd pick the heavy payload package if there was a choice. It has the most payload which is where half tons usually run out. You have 375 HP and 420 lb ft on tap. 3.55 gearing is fine coupled with the 6 or the 10 speed transmission. In any terrain.

You'll catch pure hell finding a HDPP truck used. So with that in mind, take the first max tow truck you see and ride. I like an xlt. Good options for a good price.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Budget dictates 25K. So nothing new for me.

Is there a specific model I should look for? Or avoid? Such as the Lariat? I dont really want all the luxury BS Anyway. I just want the most towing capacity and weight carrying I can get in the f150. But I want the proper gear ratio for pulling rocky mountain roads.
3.55's are the only option on a 2015+ unless you find that one unicorn heavy duty payload packaged truck with 3.73's. I've looked and havent had much luck. I've got 3.73's on my 2014 and, while they are nice, the truck has power to spare towing in Utah.

Honestly, there isnt a whole lot of difference between the max-tow and non-max tow trucks for 2015-2017's. They have the same payload and axle ratings. You DO NOT get a bump in GVWR from max-tow anymore, that stopped in 2014. If you get 3.55 gears, you will be able to tow ~11,000 lbs even with non-max tow trucks. Max-tow just adds 1000 lbs of extra towing.

Basically, just look for anything with 3.55's and the trailer towing package or max-tow package and you will be fine. 3.55's should be pretty common. Almost all the trucks at my local dealer have them, and most are max-tow as well.

XL or XLT will give you the best payload capacity. The less options the better off you are. Payload is where these trucks fall-short 99% of the time so this is really what you need to pay the most attention too. A 9000 lb trailer will be pushing even an XLT.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
2012 towing guide shows 4.10 available with max tow and Hdpp on 3.5 ecoboost super/ crew cabs.
Yeah I think the 4.10's were optional. That's a lot of gear. Im not sure why you would even need it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All great info to use in my search.

I am not going to pull a gooseneck. It will be 'bumper' pull trailer styles.

I'll probably look for and prefer an extended cab as I dont need the crew cab and Would prefer a longer bed with a cap for storage.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts