F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m completely ignorant on what type/size/weight travel trailer to get for my 2012 F150 FX4 Crew Cab with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Any ideas on where to start? I’m looking for brands of trailers, if I need to install anything on the truck etc. The only thing I’ve ever pulled is a 20 ft utility trailer for lawn equipment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
That’s a loaded question!!!! First do you have a tow or max tow or hdpp package. How far will you be traveling, how long and how many people and/or toys you will have. Based on that you can decide what size you need base on what you can safely haul. As far as brands it depends on how deep your wallet is. Go to the towing section of this site For more info

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
That’s a loaded question!!!! First do you have a tow or max tow or hdpp package. How far will you be traveling, how long and how many people and/or toys you will have. Based on that you can decide what size you need base on what you can safely haul. As far as brands it depends on how deep your wallet is. Go to the towing section of this site For more info
Agreed, chances are you will be truck limited, at least on paper, especially in a 2012 if it doesn’t have the max tow package.

Best to figure out what your truck’s capacity is then start narrowing down trailers by GVWR based on that.

Biggest thing is your payload capacity. You can find that on the yellow sticker in the drivers door jam. That is the limiting factor for F150’s usually.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Shoot for dry weights as low as you can go and still have 1) High WAF and 2) Meets the needs of the family.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
You need to Google your Ford F150 Tow Chart Specifications and or look through your owners manual. Check your drivers side inside door jam yellow specs sticker. Start crunching the numbers to see what your truck tow ratings are before you start looking at travel trailers.
Know what you can tow.

Screenshot_20200429-194428_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
So I’m completely ignorant on what type/size/weight travel trailer to get for my 2012 F150 FX4 Crew Cab with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Any ideas on where to start? I’m looking for brands of trailers, if I need to install anything on the truck etc. The only thing I’ve ever pulled is a 20 ft utility trailer for lawn equipment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I have an F-150, EB3.5, 10-spd, "max tow". I tow a Lance 2375 which has a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 7000 lbs. My truck has a rated tow capacity of 12,700. So I have no problem with tugging power!
My F-150 has a payload rating of 1465 lbs. My particular trailer has a tongue weight of 1000 lbs. My wife and I consume the rest of the payload.
I've noticed that the ride is punishing when the road is rough and I'm pulling the trailer. I surmise that's because the springs are fully compressed. So I added some Helwig supplemental springs to help with squat and improve the ride. Haven't gotten to tow with them yet, and I"m in the process of setting up the WDH (weight distributing hitch).

You want 12-15% of the trailer weight on the ball to minimize sway. Check YouTube for "trailer sway" to appreciate why you want it controlled.

Getting a weight distributing hitch helps by moving some of the weight to the front axle; the helps you steer and stop. My hitch also has sway control, and the truck does too, so my tail doesn't wag the dog!

I'm on my 3rd trailer with the Lance. My first was a 2800 lb tent trailer. Lots of great times and wonderful memories. Next we got a TrailManor hard sided popup. Dragged that all over the western US and Canada.

I recommend that you go to an RV show; that will allow you to look at a wide variety of rigs. Know your limits based on the tow vehicle and budget. You might be better off going a little smaller/lighter/shorter initially while you gain experience.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
275 Posts
After you decide what your tow and payload capacities are, you should really look at camper gross weights. A good idea of the hitch weight is 13% of gross weight. Don't believe the hitch weight ratings you read or are told. Do the math.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Do you have the OEM trailer brake controller and the locking rear differential on the dash ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Do you have the OEM trailer brake controller and the locking rear differential on the dash ?
You can have both of those and not have a tow package or HDPP. The best way to determine whether you have a particular option is the original window sticker (Monroney label)

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
You can have both of those and not have a tow package or HDPP. The best way to determine whether you have a particular option is the original window sticker (Monroney label)
Window sticker for sure.

Tow mirrors are an excellent indicator unless they were added aftermarket. They were not a standalone option for 11-14 trucks like they are on the new trucks.

Also the GVWR on the door sticker will be higher for max-tow on an 11-14. Should be 7650 or 7700 lbs for a supercrew.

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Since you have a 12, you would have the 7 lug wheels and the trucks GVWR will be #8200 and it would already have LR E tires. If you have a MaxTow version, you will have the regular 6 lugs and the trucks GVWR will be #7700. A regular tow package will be GVWR #7200 and have around a #1400 payload.

I've got a MaxTow 13 and have a 26' #7000 GVWR Rockwood travel trailer and it's all I want to haul.. I pack heavy, so I load up the bed with stuff and the trailer has a bunch of stuff in it and always carry a full load of fresh water (60 gallons). I just like using my own water, even at hookup sites.. Just me.. :)

Anyway, good luck in the journey. It's a fun thing and it's even funner when your truck is not "maxed out" on the trailer.. I figure that half the fun of the trip is getting there!

Mitch

·
Registered
275 Posts
You might be correct but narrows it down since they are part of the Max Tow package. No doubt he doesn't have the HDPP. 12th gen HDPP has 7 lug axles.

·
Registered
275 Posts
OP has an FX4. Ford data shows 7 lugs only on XL, XLT, and Lariat HDPP.
Correct. Fx4 was a seperate trim level on 12th gens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed, chances are you will be truck limited, at least on paper, especially in a 2012 if it doesn’t have the max tow package.

Best to figure out what your truck’s capacity is then start narrowing down trailers by GVWR based on that.

Biggest thing is your payload capacity. You can find that on the yellow sticker in the drivers door jam. That is the limiting factor for F150’s usually.
This is what the door says:

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
3.73 locker ?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts