F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time again, normally I just add whatever amount of E85 to my tank and top it off with 91. The place I buy from has actual E30 so I'm going to fill my tank with it and see what happens.
I did a little research last night and it seems many authorities on the subject of corn as fuel seem to think this is the "magic blend" for fuel efficiency while achieving higher octane ratings. For those of you interested Ford partnered with a lab and did a E30 test on their ecoboost engines and seemed to have success with running E30. For more info google ecoboost E30 and there are a few articles on it.
I will report back later with any news, good or bad on what I think of using this. Hopefully I can get someone on board to tune for it and see what kind of numbers I can put down using it. I feel I have room for more timing on WOT throttle runs but I need to get some logs done and over to the real experts.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike, my work computer isn't being friendly with that link so I'll check it out after work. I know when I mix on the heavier end (16 gal) it drags down my mileage, I probably should wait to make judgement until after this winter gas gets gone though.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First impressions, if there is loss of power its negligible, butt dyno doesn't notice. Fuel trims are a little happier with this as well, also I was getting some weird stuff happening under partial throttle with the higher mix, felt like TB opening and closing repeatedly. Haven't noticed any of that with this mix.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are you running a tune for higher ethanol content? I believe that the Ecoboost is not recommended to be used with anything more than e15

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No it just adds a fair amount of timing on its own and a noticeable amount of mid throttle power. I want to see if Mike at MPT will tune for it but we'll see I think he has reservations about it.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
We can't get anything more than E15 here, but we do have 93.

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did just see that, I'd like to know what ID's injectors increase in flow is. Always something to spend money on, lol. I don't know how the stock lift pump would handle E30 but someone should try it and watch how their truck handles it. I'll be one of the first in line to upgrade the HPFP and the injectors when they're released, that I know for sure.

·
Registered
374 Posts
^same here, also considering building my motor and upgrading turbos

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Just mix E85 with E10 and make your own E30 or E48....
I may be bad @ math but .... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390374907.879173.jpg
... 85 + 10 = 95 & divided by 2 is about 47.5. Not really close to 30. I guess close to 48 tho

;)

Sent from my space grey 5S using an aPP called Tapatalk

·
Registered
805 Posts
I may be bad @ math but .... View attachment 6495
... 85 + 10 = 95 & divided by 2 is about 47.5. Not really close to 30. I guess close to 48 tho

;)

Here you go, E85 mixing calculator
Ethanol Calculators
BTW, you're assuming 1 to 1 mix which is E48 as I described, E30 is more E10 in the mix

I know it's a joke but just in case somebody reads it and gets confused :D

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Thank you for clearing that up. I was making fun of me. Not you mad scientist that work magic into these engine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts