F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at upgrading from stock tires and trying to find the perfect balance for towing and some offroad.

I've narrowed down my search to the:

BFG All Terrain K/O LT275/70/R18

Max Load: 3640 lbs, 80 PSI, 33.2" Tall, Load E

or

Nitto Terra Grappler LT285/65/R18
Max Load 3640 lbs, 80 PSI, 32.52" Tall, Load E

or if I lift my truck with a 2in" level kit then:
Nitto Terra Grappler LT295/70/R18
Max Load 4080 lbs, 80 PSI, 34.41" Tall, Load E

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've had expericance with both tires on a F-250 4X4 diesel. Both tires rode similar but i got roughly 60% more mileage out of the BFG's and they preformed better off road when i needed them too.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke with Discount Tire over the phone yesterday and the sales rep I was talking to said pretty much said the same thing about the nittos wearing much faster then the BFGs. How was road noise between the two?

·
Registered
131 Posts
From what i remember there was no significant difference in road noise between the two, but to be honest between the diesel knock and straight pipe exhaust they would have had to have been awful loud for me to hear them over all that racket!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the 2012 F150 EB specfically for towing a travel trailer. I replaced the OEM BF Goodrich Wranglers immediately with Nokian Rotiiva all season tires rated at load range E. I needed the more aggressive tread design for winter driving here in Alaska and the load range will be more than adequte for the 4500 pound trailer.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had the BFG on my old 2008 F-150 same set up as you are going with road noise was not very loud and lasted a long time. Did exceptional on Alaska winter roads too.
I went with the new Toyo brand because they are suppose to last longer, do better on solid ice and off-road. So far they are living up to that claim. But you can't go around with the BFG!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would go with the BFG or Michelin AT2 or MS2 in an LT rating. But the AT2 or MS2 handles much better on wet roads. (IMO)

If you need more of an All Terrain tire then the BFG All Terrain T/A or the Michelin AT2. But the MS2 seems to wear longer and better quieter ride.

I have always run the P's on my trucks and if needed air up to 45 psi when needed for heavy load or heavy towing 7k# car trailer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am running the BFG's. They are nice but where a biach to balance, took 4oz to 5oz per wheel and 3 attempts to get them to balance perfect. I am particular but 5oz is alot of wieght. I had thought it was my rims but my studded winters balance with 1.5oz- 1.75 oz. Great traction but as far as wear they seem to chew up pretty fast on gravel roads. I have run Cooper ST- Maxx in the past and liked them better than the TKO's.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I have the BF Goodrich ATs on my other truck and I love them. Perform well off road and they seem to be wearing nicely. I will definitely get them again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just dropped a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers onto my 2011 FX4. Thus far I'm finding them to be an amazing tire, both in terms of grip and ride, with very little increase in road noise over the stock Pirelli Scorpions. Add into that mix that they are E rated tires and they should provide considerably more load capability than the OEM tires.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice, thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty sure I'll try a set out when my BFGs wear out.

Just dropped a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers onto my 2011 FX4. Thus far I'm finding them to be an amazing tire, both in terms of grip and ride, with very little increase in road noise over the stock Pirelli Scorpions. Add into that mix that they are E rated tires and they should provide considerably more load capability than the OEM tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
STdan
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing