F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how I feel about it yet but I was curious if I would want a 4" so I ordered mbrp 4" single exit to replace my 3" (from the resonator back) which I do not like about Cross so another reason I ordered it too. Got it put on and yes you hear the turbos more and the exhaust is louder of course but I don't know if I like the sound yet, the Corsa was real smooth and tough sounding and this mbrp just doesn't sound the same IMO. So I'm gonna get another dyno and take a road trip to see if I get any better mpg and or dyno numbers if not I'm going back to the Cross for sure and just add me a high flo MAK y-pipe.

·
Registered
868 Posts
im really torn between the MBRP and the Gibson cat backs but i want stainless and dual out the back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well looks like the mbrp was a success now I gotta sell the corsa off going to post my new dyno numbers up in my other thread.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I was satisfied it sounded great but I wanted to see if there were any gains to be made steeping from a 3" catback that is choked down from the y-pipe with the stock resonator to a full 4" and there was. I had the non db series.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brian351, I put the the Gibson cat back system on my truck. Has a very nice tone, not hateful at all. With all the windows up, no A/C on, it is very quiet and no drone. At hi-way speeds it is as quiet as stock in 6th gear. When you "get on it" you know it is not a stock system. BTW where in central PA are you from? We maybe neighbors?!
Moondoggy

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I really like the corsa but after having a bolt on Mustang GT with O/R x pipe and Flowmaster 40's, I can never get accustomed to the v6 :(

·
Registered
868 Posts
i have listened to alot of diff sound clips and just cant decide what i like the most but the sound of the MBRP keeps me coming back so i might just have to bite the bullet !

Moondoggy, i am about 50 min south of Williamsport just a few minutes from I-80 in a little dried up watering hole called Numidia.
if this place was any smaller they would have to roll up the sidewalks each night !

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brian351 you won't go wrong if you decide on the mbrp I think you will definitely like the sound and for the price on the aluminum you won't be out much money.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Having gone through this with my vette, I can tell you with much confidence that sound clips are just not a decent way to make a decision. I listen to tons of clips and settled on the corsa system for my vette. On the clips it sounded really tough and looked great. One problem once it was installed it sounded like stock. What a waste of money and time. I had to sell it and start all over again. This time I listened to actual vettes and made the right decision. Be very careful with internet sound clips as they are far from accurate.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is there any REAL proof any cat back actually improves performance? My experience with turbos is if you open up the exhaust too much you kill torque. Just wonder if there is any true evidence to support power gains with catbacks alone.

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I've also heard that chambered exhaust systems are bad for making power with a turbocharged engine. Can anybody shed any light on this?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Is there any REAL proof any cat back actually improves performance? My experience with turbos is if you open up the exhaust too much you kill torque. Just wonder if there is any true evidence to support power gains with catbacks alone.
Turbo charged cars LOVE to breath. straight thru exhaust is what is idel for any turbocharged vehicle. You kill TQ a little bit with down pipe cause you lose a little back pressure this can be fixed with a tune but one would expect to gain more HP.You dont lose much TQ.With just a cat back you won't notice much of a loss of Tq at all.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'm running a catted down-pipe and AFE 4" cat-back. Or, I will be once I get back state side.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've also heard that chambered exhaust systems are bad for making power with a turbocharged engine. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Yes the faster the exhaust gets out of the motor the faster the turbo will spool up and get more flow out of top end. So a chambered muffler will have more back pressure than a straight thru design.
My heartthrob has a chambered muffler. In going to swap it out with a 4" straight thru design. With a 4" resonator.
if I had to do it again I would h e just bought a 4" straight thru muffler from Jegs and a 4" resonator went to the exhaust shop and have them use 4" pipe and make me a exhaust would have been same price or cheaper than my heart throb.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Turbo charged cars LOVE to breath. straight thru exhaust is what is idel for any turbocharged vehicle. You kill TQ a little bit with down pipe cause you lose a little back pressure this can be fixed with a tune but one would expect to gain more HP.You dont lose much TQ.With just a cat back you won't notice much of a loss of Tq at all.
Well technically speaking an exhaust would ONLY improve the exhale portion of breathing not the inhale portion.
:cool:I know too much free flow on exhaust side gives you a "false" reading on a dyno. Your horsepower goes way up but you lose torque which is a bad thing and really effects the accuracy of the dyno. By the same token too restrictive of a exhaust causes the turbos to take much longer to spool up or can actually totally decrease the spool all together. I am not sure how many of these exhaust companies have truly looked at this. The marketing aim seems to be more in the line of sound than performance. The 4 inch heart throb exhaust dyno that is on video shows a dramitic increase in horspower but an also dramatic decrease in torque till much further into the power curve. And as I have always heard...." quick horsepower is for braggin but quick torque is for draggin".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts