F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 4WD Lariat Sport, SuperCrew, 4WD, 3.5 EcoBoost, Special Edition Package
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up the truck this morning but I thought I'd ask if there's anything particular I should check before leaving the lot. I'll listen for weird noises and if the rattle is still present; I'll look at the engine to see if I can find anything disconnected or loose, but is there anything else I should do? I've read the complaints of overheating after the phaser replacement so I'll drive it around in both the city and highway.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
980 Posts
Operate the engine at various rpm’s and loads. Make sure it works as it should. Check for leaks around front cover/valve covers and go from there…

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 4WD Lariat Sport, SuperCrew, 4WD, 3.5 EcoBoost, Special Edition Package
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything is good so far. The startup rattle is totally gone and everything seems to have been put back together correctly. I talk more about this on another thread I created.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I just had mine done also. I have a '20 3.5.
My number one concern was making sure they changed the oil and had the coolant filled. They did and all is good.
Of course, I changed the oil again when I got it home because who knows what they put in it. I prefer Mobil 1. The problem with this oil change was Lou Ferrigno putting on my oil filter! It took a pipe wrench to get it off:mad:
I never had the loud phasers but they did make a faint noise for the first 3 minutes during a cold start then it went away like turning off a switch. After the "repair" I still have the faint noise but it only last about a minute then stops.
I have no leaks or overheating so far. The transmission doesn't have the hard 4th to 3rd downshift any longer?! I am happy so far:giggle:

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,602 Posts
I never had the loud phasers but they did make a faint noise for the first 3 minutes during a cold start then it went away like turning off a switch. After the "repair" I still have the faint noise but it only last about a minute then stops.
:giggle:
that’s normal although three minutes seems a little long, one minute is totally normal though. All the 2nd Gen 3.5 ecoboost I come across do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
980 Posts
Could that 1 to 3 minute noise be waste gate rattle?
My wastegates seem to rattle until it idles down it seems. Then she’s nice and quiet.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
that’s normal although three minutes seems a little long, one minute is totally normal though. All the 2nd Gen 3.5 ecoboost I come across do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm glad that's normal. I haven't heard any other 3.5's up close during a cold start. My daughters 2.7 in her '150 doesn't make a sound lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.