F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up this ruby red 4x4 crew. Story is, an elderly gentleman bought himself a really sweet truck as a last hurrah, but only got to drive it a short time. Widow sold it back to the dealer, where I bought it. 2015 model year, purchased early 2016, 24k miles and looks new. Carfax checks out...single-owner, 6 dealer oil changes, air & cabin filters.

Grandpa treated himself right, let me tell you. It's a 502A with the 3.5l, tow package, camel leather, roof, 400W AC, and I'm not even sure what else. I am new to Ford, new to full-size pickups, and I am astonished how damn nice this thing is. Sport mode on the tranny is beastly, the cabin is a tomb, and it drives as light as a sedan.

I'm a bit OCD about my vehicles, so the sanity check is under way. Planning to do all lubricants, but had to do my research. Have some AMSOil 0w-30 on hand, but I see the high volatility is a no-no. Ordered Motul 8100. Surprised by the old-school crack the pumpkin diffs. Thought I was doing a diff drain/fill today too, but no...too much work. Instead I did the plugs. Not worried about wear so much as age. Having not moved for 5+ years, I thought they might be stubborn, but not so. Access is good, they came out easily, and they looked great. Definitely Italian tuning whenever possible as well!

Two areas of concern...Carfax shows a master cylinder replacement immediately pre-sale, and there is a bit of a headliner stain from a roof leak. I plan to call the dealership that did the brake job to ask, but that's a weird one. The roof (I'm told) was just plugged drains (it sat for long periods). I know they can be problematic, but it operates fine, doesn't rattle, and passed the hose test...so I'm inclined to believe it. I will check drains myself soon.

Finally, the old guy really decked out the interior. There are ACRES of crappy Amazon dash kit wood...in the cup holders, on the steering wheel, everywhere. Thankfully, it comes off very cleanly, if not easily. I'm about 2/3 through removal. And where he didn't add wood, he used clear helicopter tape! Like on the chrome door pulls and shifter trim. Insane. But...once removed, what is underneath is mint.

Plans? Of course. Forscan mods (to kill stupid fake engine noise! and other things), Morimoto fogs, 6112/5100 Bilsteins (love the brand on other vehicles), partial de-chrome, to start. Exhaust/tires/wheels down the road.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice ride...almost exact same truck and story for me. 2014 FX4 with 54000 kms in mid 2020. IM AT 100000 now...lol A little different driving style for sure ;)
Have fun!

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
Nice ! Welcome !

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
750 Posts
I just picked up this ruby red 4x4 crew. Story is, an elderly gentleman bought himself a really sweet truck as a last hurrah, but only got to drive it a short time. Widow sold it back to the dealer, where I bought it. 2015 model year, purchased early 2016, 24k miles and looks new. Carfax checks out...single-owner, 6 dealer oil changes, air & cabin filters.

Grandpa treated himself right, let me tell you. It's a 502A with the 3.5l, tow package, camel leather, roof, 400W AC, and I'm not even sure what else. I am new to Ford, new to full-size pickups, and I am astonished how damn nice this thing is. Sport mode on the tranny is beastly, the cabin is a tomb, and it drives as light as a sedan.

I'm a bit OCD about my vehicles, so the sanity check is under way. Planning to do all lubricants, but had to do my research. Have some AMSOil 0w-30 on hand, but I see the high volatility is a no-no. Ordered Motul 8100. Surprised by the old-school crack the pumpkin diffs. Thought I was doing a diff drain/fill today too, but too much work. Instead I did the plugs. Not worried about wear so much as age. Having not moved for 5+ years, I thought they might be stubborn, but not so. The came out easily, access is good, and they looked great. Definitely Italian tuning whenever possible as well!

Two areas of concern...Carfax shows a master cylinder replacement immediately pre-sale, and there is a bit of a headliner stain from a roof leak. I plan to call the dealership that did the brake job to ask, but that's a weird one. The roof (I'm told) was just plugged drains (it sat for long periods). I know they can be problematic, but it operates fine, doesn't rattle, and passed the hose test...so I'm inclined to believe it. I will check drains myself soon.

Finally, the old guy really decked out the interior. There are ACRES of crappy Amazon dash kit wood...in the cup holders, on the steering wheel, everywhere. Thankfully, it comes of very cleanly, if not easily. I'm about 2/3 through removal. And where he didn't add wood, he used clear helicopter tape! Like on the chrome door pulls and shifter trim. Insane. But...once removed, what is underneath is mint.

Plans? Of course. Foscan mods (to kill stupid fake engine noise! and other things), Morimoto fogs, 6112/5100 Bilsteins (love the brand on other vehicles), partial de-chrome, to start. Exhaust/tires/wheels down the road.

View attachment 172035

View attachment 172036

View attachment 172037
Nice truck! Beautiful interior, except the wood crap, but you’re taking care of that. Should be a sweet truck. Little jealous of the color.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice ride...almost exact same truck and story for me. 2014 FX4 with 54000 kms in mid 2020. IM AT 100000 now...lol A little different driving style for sure ;)
Have fun!
ummmm excuse me!!! you are on here too! lol :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh, hey Birdy how goes the battle. Yep like a bad rash, I'm everywhere. LOL
Sorry I didn't see your response till now.
Stay safe and healthy all!
Cheers, Sadz
(Sorry, not trying to hijack thread)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Found a nice ruby sport grille. Anyone interested in the mirror that was on there originally? Skull caps? Step rails? Installed some Morimoto fogs and removed the chin plastic while I was up there.

Also, making progress w/Forscan. DRL changes, no motor noise, Lincoln-fold mirrors, numeric temp displays, no honks, no chimes. What module controls bumper color again?

6-year-old tires show good tread but a little sidewall cracking...might have to do wheels/tires sooner than planned, which might mean accelerating the Bilsteins as well. How much tire can I get under there as-is? New wheels likely 18x9 +18 (Method 308).

And, confirmed roof drains are connected and functioning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not my truck, but not too far off what I envision. Thoughts?

Bronze/chrome too busy? The 308s are solid bronze (or black), without any of the beadlock fuss, which helps. Ideally, I'd have ruby caps/pulls/bumpers, black steps. Any advice on wrapping the bumpers?
20181011_130653_e1a9aaba009d159793e289bb80fa300be5bd1056.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
And, so it continues...

De-olding going well...interior "wood" is gone (mostly), exterior pinstripes & decals gone, ecoboost door and F150 tailgate badges gone (maybe replace fender w/black). Door panel wood is a disaster...when I remove the panels to install speakers, I will likely remove the inserts and figure out a replacement. Also, a couple interior trim bits have some helper super-glue where the kit didn't stick...need to track down replacements. Minor, but in my face every day.

I did end up with tires (275/65-18 LTX AT2) as the six-year-old ones were cracking enough that I didn't trust them for the summer road trip series. I put them back on the OEM rims, but then I got my tax refund and Method had a 15% off sale...now there's some gunmetal 316's stacked in the garage. I also bit on the S3 Bilstein package deal. Rears are here and in (and wonderful), but the fronts could be months apparently.

The sunroof was repaired by a dealer right before I bought it, new tracks and guides. I got the paperwork sent, so it's warrantied for a couple years now even thought the rest of the truck is out. Yay that.

Fluids all done...break-in / sanity changes for everything. Running great.

Lastly, the rack and awning are mounted and I picked up an OEM tonneau, new in the box for $200! We're ready for the beach now...

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
You're gonna drive highway speeds with that thing on the roof ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Never seen a canopy before? It's been on two other cars and rock solid at 80+ when rolled up...no worries. The whole rack comes off where we're not road tripping.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
Sorry. Just doesn't look like it would.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The roof awning, is, well, a bit odd.
Never seen one of those before that wasn't attached to a pop up camper.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
We just use those awning in a bag thingies that fold out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts