F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Folks,
My truck - 2011, SC, 4x4, 6.5 box Platinum with 3.73 rear axle with Max Tow Pkg. 10500 lb factory receiver
At this time stock

Brain Picking, I am looking to add some HP for towing and hopefully better fuel economy towing.

I have towed landscape trailers & a boat, Lund Baron 2150 approx 3500 lbs and 8' high at windscreen and my truck doesn't even notice them.

I have purchased a new 2014 Jayco Octane T26Y, Toy Hauler Travel Trailer -
Length 30'07. Width 8'06. Height with AC 147" (12'03). Actual Dry weight 6400 lbs with 1100 tongue weight.
installed 500 watt solar pkg with 4 6V batteries in a box on the tongue behind the propane tanks.

towing it home, Trailer was dry, just over 100km from Whitby to the Barrie area the truck stayed mostly in 5th down to 4th on our small hills and gave me approx 28L / 100 km or 8.4 MPG fuel economy. Hwy 400 is 100 km / h or 60 MPH
She had no problems keeping speed but going to Montana and at approx 300 km a tank that's a lot of fuel.
I did use tow mode

Looking at upgrading the exhaust to a high flow cat back. Magnaflow 15335 has been suggested but that's for a short box. Also considering an SCT livewire with custom tow tunes from either 5star or Stage3.
Lastly a cold air intake. 2 places here have recommended a K&N 63 series dry intake.

Any recommendations from those mechanically inclined or who have beefed up their ecoboost.

Thanx in advance.

Wolf

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Greetings. There is a good thread called "order of operations" that goes over what mods to do first.

For towing I would go with a tuner, then CAC, then DP's, then exhaust, and then either a drop in air filter or a CAI. In that order. Exhaust and Intake will not make you much, if any, gains until the first few are put on.

I run 5 Star tunes and the drivability of their tow tunes is awesome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx.
Will check out that thread. Sorry though. CAC & DP ???? I believe CAI is for Cold Air Intake but don't know the other 2 short forms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts