F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2017 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 66,000 miles on it. I was driving down the highway yesterday when it was pouring down rain and I heard a grinding/ humming noise coming from the rear. It sounded kinda like water spritzing up onto thin metal, so I attributed it to the rain. The next day I heard it when it was completely dry out. It happens sporadically, but only when accelerating at highway speeds (60-70mph). I will be on cruise at 70mph and hear nothing, then out of nowhere, I begin to hear the noise when the truck accelerates to keep its speed. If I override the cruise and press on the gas the sound gets worse. As soon as I take my foot off the gas the sound goes away. If it is on cruise and the sound is happening, I can turn off the cruise and it goes away. It has happened to me while driving without the cruise on as well. If I hear the noise then accelerate and let off the gas, the noise goes away, and then if I accelerate again I don't hear the noise for a little bit. I noticed the noise most often after coasting down a decline (no noise going down) and then heard the noise as the truck accelerated up the incline. It is not super loud, it is more of a background grinding hum. When I put down the windows I could hear it on the left and then the right. When the noise fades away it sounds like it starts on the left, moves right, then dissipates.

I am planning on taking it into the shop this weekend, but did not know if anyone has had a similar problem before?

Thanks!

Update!!! I took it to the dealer yesterday and it was indeed the IWE. They tested the vacuum and it failed. Luckily it was covered under the certified pre-owned warranty, but an FYI for anyone else with this problem they said it would have been $500-600 total. There are numerous videos online on how to do it your self if you are handy.

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,814 Posts
How long have you had the truck ? Recently get new tires ? Change anything on it recently ?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sounds a lot like your IWEs aren’t staying unlocked. When it happens, turn your 4wd selector to 4hi from 2hi and see if it goes away. This would indicate that the IWEs are partially engaging causing the noise. They are fully engage in 4hi. I would suggest changing the vacuum check valve as a first step. What is happening is that system vacuum is highest at low throttle inputs and drops with greater throttle plate settings. The check valve leaking is often the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah I know you said it's coming from the rear but everything you describe sounds like it's the IWE's. Do the 4x4 trick and if the grinding goes away that's most likely your culprit.

I did the check valve first and that wasn't it but it was a cheap and easy repair to try out. If you end up replacing one might as well replace them both.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts