F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 2014 EB with 13k miles and recently noticed a rattling noise coming from the drivers side when I accelerate slowly from a stop right around 1000 RPM. I can replicate the sound fairly easily in first and reverse. Brought it to ford and they said they couldn't hear anything. Of Course. Wanted to know if anybody had this problem or knows what it could be. Friend of mine thinks its a heat shield but before i take the skid plate off and look around want to hear from you guys.
Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
Is your truck a 4X4? If so, it could be your IWE's going out.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Grinding and rattling are very different sounds to my ears. In regards to Elmore's post, if you have a 4wd truck, engage 4wd and see if the noise persists or goes away. That will be your indication as to it being an IWE issue or something else.

·
Vendor
7,242 Posts
it is RWD not 4x4. And it sounds like metal rubbing on metal. this is almost exactly what i hear
Sounds to be one of two unrelated things. Could be your flexplate or started teeth not aligned properly. Or it sounds like you lost a timing chain guide bolt and something is loose causing it to chatter or scrap when more load is put on it. If that's what happens when you give it gas at 1500 rpm you should really not be driving it. Unless you have a warranty that is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my feeling. I have 13xxx miles on my truck and brought it into ford and the tech told me "you know a lot is happening at low RPMs i don't hear anything." so i have it in writing exactly what he said with the date and all of that so if something happens then it will be a good time. You think there is any chance it is the exhaust shield? friends dad said thats what he thinks but dont want to start removing things to find out its not that

·
Vendor
7,242 Posts
That was my feeling. I have 13xxx miles on my truck and brought it into ford and the tech told me "you know a lot is happening at low RPMs i don't hear anything." so i have it in writing exactly what he said with the date and all of that so if something happens then it will be a good time. You think there is any chance it is the exhaust shield? friends dad said thats what he thinks but dont want to start removing things to find out its not that
You would really be able to easily pinpoint the noise if it was a heat shield. There are not very many, so you can run around quick and grab one by hand to see if it stops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I'm thinking exhaust rattle somewhere. I would get someone to hold the rpms at the speed it makes the sound, while someone else has a look/hear under the truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have tried just revving but it only happens when in drive/reverse. No abnormal noises at all in park/neutral. I finally got the recall notice for my master cylinder so the truck is in the shop getting that replaced and i'm having them look at the sound also. I got the tech to hear it and he said it might take a few days to figure out sadly. ill let you guys know what they say when i get the truck back

·
Registered
66 Posts
OP did you ever find out what this was. I am having the same issue!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounded like an exhaust resonance rattle to me...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever find out what the cause of the rattle was. I have a '15 Screw 3.5 EB and have the same rattle as the video at around 1,000 rpms.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I love it when people don't update their threads.... NOT

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
That really sounds like a heat shield resonance. Brake shield maybe. loose turbo waste-gate nuts. I would drive the truck up against a solid wall so there is no way it can move, have a helper push hard on the brakes and put it in drive. Get the rpms up to where it resonates and crawl under to find the issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts