F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re-gapped my plugs this morning, they were all around .38-.40 but fixed that. I got a SCT 3013 back in january for my birthday and i cant bring myslef to load it. Ive got 19k on my 13' and i guess im scared of warranty probs lol....am i the only one with this prob?? hahaha

·
Registered
868 Posts
MPT has some very friendly tunes and warranty is always a concern for some people but they are very safe to run.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
There's a ton of debate whether Ford can or cannot deny a warranty claim simply because it's tuned. I'm not going there ... you can search and read those for yourself.

If you are still afraid about voiding your warranty, do what most of the other guys (and I) do ... return it back to stock a couple of weeks before you take it in for service ... and re-install your tune after service. This will also avoid the problem should your dealership install a new program on your PCM while it's in for service.

As for installing, just follow the instructions carefully ... it takes 10-15 minutes to do it. Just don't freak when you hear the loud pop come from your stereo at some point. It's normal.

After you do it a couple of times, you learn at what point you can go back into the house for a while .... and return to fine your truck ready to go.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Mine never pops. The gauges just go crazy for a couple seconds and it always turns on the AM radio for some reason

Family First

·
Registered
736 Posts
My speakers make a loud pop. Damn near **** myself first time I loaded a tune. Thought I fried the ecu or something. But everything worked out ok. Now I know it's coming so it doesn't startle me anymore.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Dude, that's like having a hot chick roommate telling you she is good to go, and you're just sitting there not doing anything about it!

Stop thinking about it, and just do it!

HAHAHA! That right there is BANG on! Send it to me I'll load that bad boy up! And tell ya how it pulls.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have 1100 kms on my 2013 and didnt hesitate loading a tune... like said reurn it to stock when taken in for service and you should never have a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I have 23k miles on a tune. Get a safe, reliable tune (like MPT) and there shouldn't be much concern. I don't care how fast a tune does in 1/4 mile, I care about drivability and reliability (with power when I want it). If I wanted a drag truck, I wouldn't have put a level and 33s on it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
There's a ton of debate whether Ford can or cannot deny a warranty claim simply because it's tuned. I'm not going there ... you can search and read those for yourself.

If you are still afraid about voiding your warranty, do what most of the other guys (and I) do ... return it back to stock a couple of weeks before you take it in for service ... and re-install your tune after service. This will also avoid the problem should your dealership install a new program on your PCM while it's in for service.

As for installing, just follow the instructions carefully ... it takes 10-15 minutes to do it. Just don't freak when you hear the loud pop come from your stereo at some point. It's normal.

After you do it a couple of times, you learn at what point you can go back into the house for a while .... and return to fine your truck ready to go.
Its funny you say that, the first time I tuned my last pickup with 5 star tune it made that loud pop and I lost all power, well this was the first time I had tuned anything and I thought that I had blown my ecm or something so I turned off the keys and tried to call Mike but it was a saturday afternoon. I figured it was part of the deal once I got my power back but that shur was a long 10 minutes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You can ease yourself into it. First connect it to your PC and get updates. Then plug it to your truck so it can get your strategy. It may say unsupported and you will have to update it again for your strategy. Once you feel comfortable with it, load the 87 octane strategy (canned) tune. You may want to fill up with premium gas for another 20 HP. Drive it around for a week or so and you won't want to return to stock.
I wouldn't load a custom tune until you can data log it because it may not be set up right for your truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Grim

I understand that if you load a tune and then go back to stock tune, there is a bit set in the ECM that allows Ford to know the ECM has been messed with. Sort of a tattle-tale. This bit can be reset by the factory ECM programmer. I do know that every time I go in for service, they connect to the ECM because some of my settings have been messed with. I would assume it would always be a good idea to reset the factory tune before going in for service.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Or do this... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397408802.178780.jpg

I understand your apprehension but you are going to drive yourself nuts over thinking it. Just do her.... you know she wants it!

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: scap99

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Grim

I understand that if you load a tune and then go back to stock tune, there is a bit set in the ECM that allows Ford to know the ECM has been messed with. Sort of a tattle-tale. This bit can be reset by the factory ECM programmer. I do know that every time I go in for service, they connect to the ECM because some of my settings have been messed with. I would assume it would always be a good idea to reset the factory tune before going in for service.
Those symptoms are most likely from them disconnecting the battery which is first step SOP for most repairs after they pull any DTCs from your ECU

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dude, that's like having a hot chick roommate telling you she is good to go, and you're just sitting there not doing anything about it!

Stop thinking about it, and just do it!
or her handing over the keys to her chastity belt haha! I look to load a tune after i get an oil change this week ill post my thoughts

1 - 20 of 30 Posts