F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member and this is my first post. I just recently purchased a 2011 White f150 FX4 Crew cab and so far it has been a great truck! I always keep my vehicles with a half tank or more and have never had a problem starting them on my steep decline driveway until today. Earlier this week I had 3 quarters of a tank and when I started my vehicle in the morning it warned my I only had 6 miles until empty! I knew this wasn't true and didn't think anything of it. drove down to the flat and the gas gauge of course went back to normal. This morning I was unusually low "just under half" remote started my truck and 5 minutes later went outside and realized my truck wasn't running. I figured it just didn't ever actually start until i tried turing it over and nothing at all. tried for about 5 minutes after calling my ford dealer and asking about the problem. I put 3 gallons of gas I had in the garage and it started right up! Be careful on parking on a decline with less then half a tank!

10154795_10152294912527488_1886429538_n.jpg

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Howdy eh!

Family First

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hopefully not for long ;)

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts

this is is a product of what you're referring to. I have a little over 1/4 of a tank but reversed up a slope in my driveway. My gas went back up after 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
I made a magic video of how I gain 100 km per tank by just driving.

Family 1st

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Just pull in instead of backing in. The fuel pickup is towards the rear of our tanks.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Since you were parked on a decline why didn't you just throw the truck in neutral and roll to a level spot?

I do see how this could be annoying though....

·
Registered
45 Posts
According to the Tools section in my F150's drivers display my driveway is a 7° grade. Every vehicle I've owned fuel gauge magically drops to empty when ever I have less than a quarter to a half tank of gas. Since I always back in I get some neat low fuel alarms and other messages depending upon the vehicle... I have not had any fail to start yet though...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since you were parked on a decline why didn't you just throw the truck in neutral and roll to a level spot?

I do see how this could be annoying though....
The drive way is long "over 100 yards" and is very steep. I would have done this if I felt safe about driving that distance downhill without power steering or brakes. I'm just putting a warning out there for people to be careful parking on steep declines when "hunting or camping". I feel
as if it is very annoying if I want to remote start and don't park facing up because of snow.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just a side note

I am a new member and this is my first post. I just recently purchased a 2011 White f150 FX4 Crew cab and so far it has been a great truck! I always keep my vehicles with a half tank or more and have never had a problem starting them on my steep decline driveway until today. Earlier this week I had 3 quarters of a tank and when I started my vehicle in the morning it warned my I only had 6 miles until empty! I knew this wasn't true and didn't think anything of it. drove down to the flat and the gas gauge of course went back to normal. This morning I was unusually low "just under half" remote started my truck and 5 minutes later went outside and realized my truck wasn't running. I figured it just didn't ever actually start until i tried turing it over and nothing at all. tried for about 5 minutes after calling my ford dealer and asking about the problem. I put 3 gallons of gas I had in the garage and it started right up! Be careful on parking on a decline with less then half a tank!

View attachment 10899
Hey guys,

Just as a side note about the remote start. I have a 2014 so I would assume the remote start specs are the same or at least very similar. Either way I know that the remote start can be set for a specific run time before auto shut off kicks in. For example, set at 5mins the truck will run for 5mins without the key. If no key is inserted within 5mins of running, it shuts off. Do this twice in a row without ever inserting the key the truck will shut off and then can only be started by using the key.

- I am not posting this to disprove you as I have had my share of phantom fuel tank readings the day I test drove mine. I literally tested the truck fresh off the delivery truck and it barely had fuel in it even run. The salesmen put a few gallons in it and it took roughly 5miles of driving before it realized it had more than it was reading.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I bet that remote starting it is what caused you to have the no start. There should be enough fuel in the lines to get you started and out of the driveway. This problem won't affect me since I have a 2wd and no grades over like 3° anywhere I ever go. But good info for others.

SPPD

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
The drive way is long "over 100 yards" and is very steep. I would have done this if I felt safe about driving that distance downhill without power steering or brakes. I'm just putting a warning out there for people to be careful parking on steep declines when "hunting or camping". I feel
as if it is very annoying if I want to remote start and don't park facing up because of snow.

The power steering is electronic....

People drove "real" trucks without power brakes for a long time....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes it had enough fuel to run the vehicle for give or take 5 minutes with over half a tank before running out… "remote setting shuts truck off at 10 min" this same thing happened to me the other day but parking this time.. drove to the top turned around and parked it down threw it in park was pushing the e brake and truck died… LOW fuel 1 mile till empty and all. Truck showed I only used 16 gallons of gas and was spot on when i filled it up the next day… It has to be because where the fuel is pumped from the back of the tank…

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Welcome smitty! Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it. Very Nice truck btw. Except the baby bed like ford4thot. lol jk.

¡FRANK DA TANK!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow this is f'ing ridiculous. I am having the the same issue. My truck is 5 days old and it did not start this morning in my driveway even through I have slightly under 1/4 in the tank. I did use the remote start only to find it was dead when I went back out and it would not start. Coasted to the street and straight to the dealer. Dealer admitted that yes it has known issues and there is not a TSB or a FIX. Said it's due to the larger tank. There was NO low fuel warning!

So my truck will talk to me, I can talk to it, it tells when I am about to hit something in the rear, my headlights turn on automatically, I can check sports scores and weather, my seat cools my ass and adjust in 100 different ways, it has wifi, I can even hook up an X-Box but the I cannot park the truck on a hill with 1/4 tank of FREAKING GAS because it will then NOT START. At least when I am stuck I have plenty of entertainment.

Has anyone complained to Ford? Any Response?

This was my gauge after I rolled it to the street.
20141028_072917.jpg

Here is the truck angle. If I was stuck nose down in a ditch I would understand but this is some shty Ford engineering.
20141027_175409.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts