F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full disclosure, this is no one's fault, but my own.

When I did my exhaust, I guess I didn't account for the exhaust that was dumping under the bed to move back toward the back while driving. The dumps are well before the axle, but they seem to have melted the parking bake line for the passenger side. I did bend the bracket out of the way and should no longer be getting any exhaust flow.
Now, about 3 months later, when I release my parking brake, the light stays on and I have to hold the brake release and pull up the pedal about 1" and it will finally go off. Also, it does occasionally make noise from the passenger rear brake, like knocking off rust right after it rains, but after its parked for just a few hours.
I have ordered a new cable and it should be in this week. Has anyone ever had any trouble with their parking brakes? Or, more specifically, how do I change it? It seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I really just haven't had the time to mess with it. It does seem pretty straight forward. I ordered a cable off amazon for about $35. I have just not been using the parking brake, no issues.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it done yesterday. Was not very easy. The main hang up getting the little metal clip that holds the rear brake cable and the one from the pedal. I had to drill a little notch out of the old one to get the cables apart. Other than that, easy as can be. That did seems to be the problem, no more hanging and no more dragging. Not sure if its related, but my fuel economy has gone up about 1 mpg. The old cable was definitely locked solid in place.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Mine hangs the last inch as well bone stock. There is probably a way to increase the tension.
Most of us don't use our parking brake. That in itself is usually the cause for it not working.
The parking brake cables are meant to be used to keep them from oxidizing and sticking in place.
I have had to have mine replace twice on my 04 F-350 for this reason.
Also living in an area where salt is used during the winter makes this even worse.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No salt here, just tons of hills. I can rarely seems to park on a flat surface. I guess that's why they call this area the Hill Country....
I like to use the parking brake whenever I park, don't want to wear out the parking pawl.

·
Administrator
7,826 Posts
Bump!

Had an issue yesterday after parking on a hill and using my parking brake. the only other times I have ever used my parking brake were launching my boat or on steep inclines/declines (maybe a total of 60 times). The last time I launched my boat I pulled the release for the brake and my cluster still said the brake was applied. Kept pulling and pulling and finally I just had to pull on the release and pull up on the parking brake pedal to get the system to think the brake was off.

Yesterday, I had to do the same thing and everything seemed fine. Backed out of my spot and pulled forward while turning and could hear and feel the brake catching in the rear while I turned. thought that was weird. Went and turned the next corner and no noise or feeling of it catching.

Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Word for the wise, use parking brake every time you park. Apply it while in gear or N, then go to P. This help keep all the tension off the park pin. I do this every time. Also you won't have problems with the brake freezing like noted above.

·
Administrator
7,826 Posts
Word for the wise, use parking brake every time you park. Apply it while in gear or N, then go to P. This help keep all the tension off the park pin. I do this every time. Also you won't have problems with the brake freezing like noted above.
YOu apply while in Neutral or in Gear? Guess I never thought about it

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I put it in P, keeping my right foot on the brake pedal, engage the parking brake, and then let the brake pedal go.

Same outcome. I'm with you: I don't like the parking pawl bearing any tension.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
yes, half of the time i even forget to put it in park, it wont let you remove the key unless in park so I shift it to park after turning truck off.

And then I shift it to drive before removing brake too, the gauge cluster screen goes nuts telling you emergency brake it on before you release it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 27,000 miles on my 2014 FX4 and use my parking brake ALL the time. Lately, it has been hanging up and not releasing all the way. Also, there is a nasty high pitch metal squeal when under 5MPH in drive or reverse. Ford said the backing plates had to be replaced because of corrosion(this apparently requires the axle to be dropped). How does it get corroded if I use it all the time and with Ford asking about $600 to do the job, does anyone have any insight on this? Of course my warranty expired in April! Maybe a Ford Service Rep could help me out? Thanks....

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have 27,000 miles on my 2014 FX4 and use my parking brake ALL the time. Lately, it has been hanging up and not releasing all the way. Also, there is a nasty high pitch metal squeal when under 5MPH in drive or reverse. Ford said the backing plates had to be replaced because of corrosion(this apparently requires the axle to be dropped). How does it get corroded if I use it all the time and with Ford asking about $600 to do the job, does anyone have any insight on this? Of course my warranty expired in April! Maybe a Ford Service Rep could help me out? Thanks....
Seeing as your truck is a 2014, I do not understand why they need replacing this early, unless maybe they got bent enough to rub the rotor.
By the time backing plates need replacing due to corrosion, the rest of the truck isn't too far behind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I might understand if I never used the parking brake it could corrode. But when I engage and release about 3 times a day.... Seems like crap craftsmanship. Might even look at a different brand truck. Nissan Titan looks like hell but they seem to have a decent warranty.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yeah, I might understand if I never used the parking brake it could corrode. But when I engage and release about 3 times a day.... Seems like crap craftsmanship. Might even look at a different brand truck. Nissan Titan looks like hell but they seem to have a decent warranty.
My guess would be something to do wit what they put on the roads in Illinois for winter season. Wasn't there a person here not long ago from Idaho who mentioned having a truck about the same period with rust on the cab corner? Whatever they are using in Ohio and West Virginia is also extremely rough on the undercarriages - even if you wash it fairly frequently. Recently replaced some fairly pricey backing plates on a Mitsubishi. Coated them with a spray rubber to protect from the Ohio chemicals. Too soon to tell how it will work out. I have never tested Ford's warranty on backing plates, but the corrosion warranty is much longer than the 3/36 bumper to bumper.

Nissan is usually quite good with their warranty support. If memory serves the new Titan has a 5/100k bumper to bumper warranty. I have seen dealers replace front hubs that were shred from high speed off road use as well as brakes from towing beyond the vehicle's rating. Fred Diaz of Ram went to Nissan when obama gave Chrysler to Fiat. The Cummins that was headed for Ram also went to Nissan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts