F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, i bought my first truck last Saturday. Its a 2017 F-150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost. I already have started to get the famous phaser and timing chain rattle on the truck and it only has 35k miles. My other issue is when switching from Drive to Reverse the truck has a hard shift. When im driving in D and the truck is still rolling slightly and i then switch it to R for reverse it has a slight delay then a BANG hard shift on the truck. I do have the 10 speed transmission. Has anyone had this issue on their trucks? and input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Hello guys, i bought my first truck last Saturday. Its a 2017 F-150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost. I already have started to get the famous phaser and timing chain rattle on the truck and it only has 35k miles. My other issue is when switching from Drive to Reverse the truck has a hard shift. When im driving in D and the truck is still rolling slightly and i then switch it to R for reverse it has a slight delay then a BANG hard shift on the truck. I do have the 10 speed transmission. Has anyone had this issue on their trucks? and input would be greatly appreciated.
There's a tsb (update) for the transmission.
Unfortunately whoever sold or traded that truck in probably had/knew about the rattle.
That sucks man, well least you're still under warranty, just a hassle

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a tsb (update) for the transmission.
Unfortunately whoever sold or traded that truck in probably had/knew about the rattle.
That sucks man, well least you're still under warranty, just a hassle

Hey man thanks for the reply! im sorry for asking a stupid question but what is TSB? is there a common issue with this transmission. I bought the truck from a dealership it was a leased truck and turned in. i called the dealership and explained about the timing chain issue and phasers and they said no problem bring the truck in and everything will be taken care of free of charge.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hey man thanks for the reply! im sorry for asking a stupid question but what is TSB? is there a common issue with this transmission. I bought the truck from a dealership it was a leased truck and turned in. i called the dealership and explained about the timing chain issue and phasers and they said no problem bring the truck in and everything will be taken care of free of charge.
Technical Service Bulletin issued by Ford.

·
Registered
392 Posts
what does that mean as far as my truck, he said there is one issued for the transmission, can I take it to the dealer or what?
From Wikipedia:

Technical Service Bulletins, or TSBs, are recommended procedures for repairing vehicles. They are a form of diagnosis. Not to be confused with recalls, a TSB is issued by a vehicle manufacturer when there are several occurrences of an unanticipated problem. TSBs can range from vehicle-specific to covering entire product lines and break down the specified repair into a step-by-step process. While sometimes written by engineers employed by OEMs, the majority are authored by the first automotive technician to come up with a repair procedure. Because certain problems may have more than one cause and there is sometimes more than one way to fix a problem, it's somewhat common for there to be more than one TSB for the same problem.
The technical Service Bulletin are emitted by the manufacturer.
One major difference between a recall and a TSB in the automotive industry is that a recall usually evolves out of safety issues at the behest of an organization like the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The ensuing recall maintenance/repair work is usually done at no charge to the car owner, regardless of the car's warranty status. Dealers are usually under no mandate to call in cars for which there are TSBs to do the related repairs. Nor is there an obligation to do the TSB repairs for free or at reduced charges to the owner, since the manufacturer does not require the repair to be performed and does not reimburse the dealership for repairs. When the vehicle's manufacturer releases a recall, they not only require the dealership to perform the repair, but will reimburse them the recall's repair.
Some benefits of an automotive TSB are that by widely circulating among dealership service departments and mechanics an engineering-level description and solution for a problem common to type, year, make or model of car, a well-managed TSB process can save technicians troubleshooting time; provide organized, itemized repair procedures; and standardize the repair process. This can also enhance the quality of the maintenance since it tends to be supported by repair history and high-level diagnostic procedure decisions.
NPR's Car Talk show duo, Tom Magliozzi and brother Ray Magliozzi (also known as "Click and Clack"), describe TSBs, saying, "They really just contain advice from the company to the mechanics who fix their cars," in this S.F. Chronicle article, "Technical Service Bulletins Explained." But this Edmunds article, "How Can a Technical Service Bulletin Help Me?" states that if there is a TSB for your particular problem, and it's verifiable by the dealer, then the repair is free to cars within the warranty period.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the info, the truck goes in to be looked at on October 4th for my timing chain/phasers and i will mention the TSB for the transmission and see if they do anything about it

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
You should try coming to a stop before engaging reverse... maybe there won't be a hard shift. You should realize that the driveshaft and wheels are spinning in fwd direction, when you put into reverse it has to change direction, hence the "hard shift".

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't quite understand why your 2017 has the timing chain stretch issue. It's my understanding that for 2017, Ford changed from a single timing chain driving everything to 2 timing chains and perhaps 3rd chain for the waterpump. Also, many of the components were strengthened. If that's the case, did you get the 2017 engine or the old engine?

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I don't quite understand why your 2017 has the timing chain stretch issue. It's my understanding that for 2017, Ford changed from a single timing chain driving everything to 2 timing chains and perhaps 3rd chain for the waterpump. Also, many of the components were strengthened. If that's the case, did you get the 2017 engine or the old engine?
It's probably the phasers, unfortunately there's been plenty of 2nd gen 3.5 EcoBoost that have been getting them replaced

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
It's probably the phasers, unfortunately there's been plenty of 2nd gen 3.5 EcoBoost that have been getting them replaced

I agree.
The terminology used by the truck owners, here and especially FB, confuses the issue.

Ironically, it appears a FAR higher percentage of the "improved" Gen2 trucks are experiencing the cold start clack. But the majority of these trucks do not have timing chain issues. They just have dry phasers at startup.

On Gen1, it's very likely that the cold start clack represents a more extensive issue with the whole timing chain system.

Me personally, I prefer to have the Gen2 version of the problem, but wish it was at the Gen1 rate and/or percentage, if you know what I mean.

Ford has a mess on their hands with the high percentage of Gen2 trucks developing the cold start clack at low mileage. It reminds me a little of the 6.0 head gasket (and related) fiasco. Both of these issues are getting big airplay and are trashing the reputation of their cash cow product.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts