F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that the intercooler grille is a popular mod. They look good and they boast protection claims as well. This makes me wonder if anyone has had their intercooler damaged due to lack of protection from the factory. If so please chime in and tell the story. If this happens with any kind of frequency it would only make sense to upgrade this mod from a 'maybe one day' status to 'MUST HAVE' status.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
No damage here, but I have taken newspaper, plastic bags, and a bunch of assorted road debris out of there. I imagine its only a matter of time before a rock or nail finds that opening and does a number on the intercooler.

SPPD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Haven't had it happen on my Ecoboost, but a pebble went through the grill on my wife's 2013 Accord busting the A/C condenser. $600 later it's fixed, figured I'd go ahead and invest $40 in protecting my truck from this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Havent had any problems but thats what ill take it to the dealer for if it does happen

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nothing's up here yet, just a crap ton of chipped windshield; 3M divots (what would of been chipped paint); and a quarter size hole thru my lower part of my grill (getting new one soon lol) but amazingly nothing in the big gaping open area lol!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man you guys got your thinking all wrong. Don't put the grille on now. First let a rock damage the factory IC and then you have REASON to buy an upgraded hi-performance IC...at which point you put the grille on after installing.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Man you guys got your thinking all wrong. Don't put the grille on now. First let a rock damage the factory IC and then you have REASON to buy an upgraded hi-performance IC...at which point you put the grille on after installing.
I like your way of thinking! Too late though. Already installed a grille...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370333579.138528.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can redirect your block heater thru the hole above your tow hook. Looks a little nicer and hides away good when not in use.

·
Registered
191 Posts
No problems here with debris into the intercooler causing damage. I have yet to see lower grille that I would put on my Lariat. They are just ugly and cheap. I might just make my own.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've seen one intercooler damaged from a rock (big one to lol) at my dealer. But it is def not a very common thing. I still put a mesh grill in mine though. Much better safer than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I love the way people think now a day. I'll wait until something happens then worry about it.
If there is damage due to road debris it is not covered under any of the Ford warranties. According the Ford service dept manager I asked.
I spent the $40 for the black aluminum grill. No matter what type of truck you have you can't go wrong with the black one since everything around the opening is black.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I've got the same style as your but different brand.
As I said no matter what color truck you have that looks like it belongs there.
The big hole that Ford left, not so much.:confused: what were they thinking?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got the same style as your but different brand. As I said no matter what color truck you have that looks like it belongs there. The big hole that Ford left, not so much.:confused: what were they thinking?
Engineering test have shown that if the inter cooler opening was just restricted 15% from air flow it could cause drive ability issues
That is why the opening in the bumper is there

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
19 Participants
Mike Tritle
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing