F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Why not just change it out every 4,000 miles with a $5 Motorcraft filter? If you drive 16,000 miles a year that's $20. Times that by 10 years and you're at $200.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
932 Posts
What in tarnation 🤔

·
Registered
618 Posts
No. You have to clean it. Now you have used oil and solvent to dispose of.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It’s hard to get reviews on these filters. I’ve personally talked with them several times on the phone. He said they run these filters on their hellcat. Very nice to deal with. I’m currently running one on my 1400 motorcycle and my 3.5.

Uses a large can of brake clean to blast out the filter media from the inside. Rinse off the outside and wipe the inside of the van out. I let the wash of brake clean fall into my oil bucket. By the time I’m done, the brake clean has evaporated and my oil goes to recycle anyway.

I’ve tested the flow rate and it can’t be touched by normal paper or synthetic media filters.

This is where it gets tricky. It’s very hard to find the specs on the fl500s filter. The bypass is set very low, I think around 8psi. This is very low compared to other filters they are set at 12 to 14psi.

The fl500s is also rated at 25 to 30 microns if I can recall and has a 97% efficiency rating. It’s been a while. This isn’t bad but during the filter process, larger particles (larger than 30 to 40 microns can pass. Especially during bypass.

The filter you are looking at is rated at 35 microns absolute. Nothing larger than 35 microns ever, but will catch smaller down to 20 microns.

I put a gauge on my 3.5 and watched the oil pressure at start up. Almost instantaneous. I’ve seen another video online where the guy starts a 3.5 with a gauge using a normal filter and I was shocked on the 4 to 5 seconds it takes for the pressure to build.

To each his own. I’d call and talk with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Are you saying that a multi-day drain-down coldstart gave immediate oil pressure?

And if so, it was because of the oil filter?

Because if an oil filter really could make that an inevitable, it's worth switching to. Especially if it's good at filtering too.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lizardking419

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Maybe if you could plumb it to be accessible from the top and just unscrew the cap, pull the filer out, put a new one in.. I think that's how some of the "new" foreign rigs are doing it these days... Kinda like how they did back in the 50's with those oil filter cans on top that you just take off the lid, pull the filter out and replace.

If I gotta crawl under and deal with that whole sideways deal and all the oil draining into the catch pan and then dripping thru the plate below for the next month... No thanks! ha, ha!!

My $5 MC filter works just fine now that I figured out how to remove it without dripping for a month.. :)

Good luck! Mitch

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
932 Posts
It's not a SS oil filter. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
50 Posts
Are you saying that a multi-day drain-down coldstart gave immediate oil pressure?

And if so, it was because of the oil filter?

Because if an oil filter really could make that an inevitable, it's worth switching to. Especially if it's good at filtering too.

I will do a test on mine over the next few days. I’ll start my gauge then start up the truck. From what I’ve seen so far, it builds pressure right away.

Regardless of what filter I run, when I start my truck I always let it idle down before driving. Usually only takes about 60 seconds for this to happen.

I’ll try to find the video where the guy does his pressure check from start as well.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
I will do a test on mine over the next few days. I’ll start my gauge then start up the truck. From what I’ve seen so far, it builds pressure right away.

Regardless of what filter I run, when I start my truck I always let it idle down before driving. Usually only takes about 60 seconds for this to happen.

I’ll try to find the video where the guy does his pressure check from start as well.

It might be my video that shows it takes several seconds to build appreciable oil pressure after a multi-day sitting? The video has been seen about 1500 views. (a legend in my own mind)

Honestly, I never considered that the oil filter could be the culprit for how many seconds it takes to fill all the oil passages. I DID think that the anti-drainback valve wasn't anti-drainback enough to last several days. Or, let's just say that a single overnight sitting takes only a fraction of the time to build full pressure compared to several days, so I reasoned that the less than 100% effectiveness of the anti-drainback valve was a good explanation.

(Motorcraft filter with anti-drainback valve)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Are you originally from Texas ? @snakebitten Did you live somewhere else for a few years ? Your Texas draw isn't very Texas draw.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It might be my video that shows it takes several seconds to build appreciable oil pressure after a multi-day sitting? The video has been seen about 1500 views. (a legend in my own mind)

Honestly, I never considered that the oil filter could be the culprit for how many seconds it takes to fill all the oil passages. I DID think that the anti-drainback valve wasn't anti-drainback enough to last several days. Or, let's just say that a single overnight sitting takes only a fraction of the time to build full pressure compared to several days, so I reasoned that the less than 100% effectiveness of the anti-drainback valve was a good explanation.

(Motorcraft filter with anti-drainback valve)

Yeah. It was your video. I found it about 10 min after I posted. Again, I’ll see if I can get a video of the pressure at startup.

I’ve been playing with the idea of adding a amsoil bypass system to this. That way the oil will be super cleaned and still have the high volume flow of the SS filter. Just wondering if it’s worth adding the complexity.

Another SS filter I’ve been watching is the pure power 2.0. Supposedly they are doing dual layers of SS mesh. Unfortunately they are expensive and the test results aren’t back yet.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Are you originally from Texas ? @snakebitten Did you live somewhere else for a few years ? Your Texas draw isn't very Texas draw.
61 years in Texas. 1 year in Belize.
Youth in the East Texas piney woods.
The rest pretty much in Hurricane Zone 2 coastal area.

When I travel, almost everyone believes I'm from Texas. Italy, England, Australia, Panama, Israel, ..... Of course the hat and boots, along with the draw, are fairly convincing.

However, the most real Cowboys I have ever met were in Calgary. Bar none.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I reckon y'all have your regional dialects in Texas like we do in Arkansas. The town I live close to and work in have trouble understanding me at times. The community where I grew up have no trouble.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Nobody understands me. It could be my dialect. But I don't think so.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco
1 - 16 of 16 Posts