F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Lariat 4x4 SCREW HDPP
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new to me 2016 HDPP Ecoboost. Even without trailer the front steering seems a bit flighty. Other pics I've seen of HDPPs have a rake that has the front sitting lower that the rear, but mine seems to sit a bit higher in the front. So getting the WDH to put more on the front axle is a bit difficult, as I have to raise the rear up as far as possible just to get the bars on (E2 hitch). There is a plug at the front grill and bolts in the front frame where a snow plow would go, so I am guessing a snow plow was used. There is no upfitter switch, but there is velcro under the pro trailer controller, so maybe they had a switch there.

My question is... is it typical to add taller springs in the front for a snowplow? How could I figure out if it has springs that aren't factory?

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Hmmmm. Definitely something isn't OEM and I'm guessing that if the geometry and suspension dynamics were changed to accommodate a snow plow, then yea, removal of the front weight burden would throw a lot off in the handling department.

I'd go over that front suspension with a fine tooth comb and return it to OEM design intent. Raising the rear to introduce rake probably accomplished nothing in regards to what may be the issue.

Do you suspect the front springs are aftermarket? Is there no branding of any kind?

By the way, congrats on finding an HDPP truck used. That's not an easy find

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I had to go to my neighboring state to get it. And it’s a Lariat which is even harder to find. I took a look and it appear the springs are oem (code Y). But in the photo, is that a spacer at the top?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Hmmmm

My brother lives in the barn just the other side of the chicken coop. A short jaunt from my lazyboy. Lol

I'll head over and try to get a good pic or two of his 100% oem HDPP truck.

Give me a few minutes

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Here ya go. Sorry if they aren't the best pics. But I can get more of whatever you need upon request

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Looks like you definitely have a Puck up front
Not MY preferred way of leveling the mighty F150!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. Will be taking those out posthaste! Thanks for that!

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
My pleasure.
That truck is such a unicorn. Deserves the effort to get it PERFECT for what it is uniquely capable of.

I'll defend the previous owner though, if indeed he had it tweaked for front end loader duty. :)

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I wonder if that might be a spring spacer to put more preload on the spring. No sure, just thinking outloud.

People did that on the Jeep liberty’s. Instead of a spacer above the top hat, the spacer would go between the spring and top hat. Its equivalent to threading up the spring perch on a Fox coilover or similar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if that might be a spring spacer to put more preload on the spring. No sure, just thinking outloud.

People did that on the Jeep liberty’s. Instead of a spacer above the top hat, the spacer would go between the spring and top hat. Its equivalent to threading up the spring perch on a Fox coilover or similar.
What's the effect of doing that? Or reasoning?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
What's the effect of doing that? Or reasoning?
Keeps the shock in the stock position(ie it would bottom out when the suspension is at the same point as stock) but it puts the spring under added compression. It has the effect of lifting, but could also be used to get the truck back to stock ride height with additional weight added, like a plow.

Doing a typical spacer lift/level changes the operating range of the suspension. The whole shock is pushed down and so the range which the suspension can cycle changes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts