F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 screw 4x4 ecoboost
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what I would look for if my headers are warped. I’m smelling some exhaust I believe (mother says it smells rich). Do I have to pull some stuff out to check, do I use a feeler gauge? I just need to know what I need to know to check cause they are originals from 2014. And need to know (if they are warped) would it be something super involved or moderately easy to where I can do it in my garage.

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Look for the rear most stud to be snapped off.

You would also hear a high pitched chirping noise when at low RPM, high load(IE manually shift to 5th gear at low RPM and floor it) when the engine is not super hot. As the manifold heats it tends to go away.

You can do it in the garage, ive done it twice, but it is a bit of a process. You gotta pull the downpipes, turbos and then the manifolds. Its easiest to remove the front wheels and pull the wheel well liners.

Reactions: tidefan1967

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Look for the rear most stud to be snapped off.

You would also hear a high pitched chirping noise when at low RPM, high load(IE manually shift to 5th gear at low RPM and floor it) when the engine is not super hot. As the manifold heats it tends to go away.

You can do it in the garage, ive done it twice, but it is a bit of a process. You gotta pull the downpipes, turbos and then the manifolds. Its easiest to remove the front wheels and pull the wheel well liners.
I would never recommend flooring it in high load, low rpm situation. That's a recipe for LSPI piston ring land boom!

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
I would never recommend flooring it in high load, low rpm situation. That's a recipe for LSPI piston ring land boom!
Thats why there are LSPI tables in the tune to limit load. You can see/feel the PCM very deliberately limiting load below 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
2014 screw 4x4 ecoboost
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@mass-hole The original headers have 8 holes in them correct? How would one install the 9 hole revised header?

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
@mass-hole The original headers have 8 holes in them correct? How would one install the 9 hole revised header?
There are 11 holes in the head. You just need to reposition the studs for the holes in the new manifold.

• Helpful
Reactions: Boatwaco
1 - 6 of 6 Posts