F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished enjoying my first road trip with my 18 f150 2.7. Loving this truck. I've read a lot of complaints about the headlights being bad on these trucks but I can definitely say it's a huge step up from my 16 Jeep cherokee. I don't have LEDs, and they seem pretty good. Not great, but definitely usable. Are most of the complaints before the new Headlight style?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine seem good on my 2018 f150, could be better. Any body find a better replacement bulb?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Could be better. High beams especially, although I think mine are aimed for having a load on. My 13 seemed better with the high beams.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think some folks are disappointed in the performance......

Mine are just OK.....my 2015 GTI with HID projectors is much better......

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
If you have regular filament bulbs, look for a HID kit to replace them. eBay has kits for a very good price.
I mean, you CAN do this. As an 'other driver' on the road, I would certainly ask that you don't take this route.
There are proper ways to convert to HIDs, and a 'drop in' is NOT it.

You will indeed have more light output though. Tons of it!

·
Premium Member
7,347 Posts
On a 16 with Halogens I just made sure the aim was adjusted perfectly first. (They came pointed too high from factory) Then I bought those fancy bright Sylvanias. They were noticeably brighter, but notorious for short(er) lifespan. So keep some handy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
But do we really have to have lights so bright that the oncoming person has to burn my retinas off. It seems like the thing to do these days. People who think just as long as I can see ok screw everyone else attitude. And this doesn’t account for the dumb a$$ that drives around with high beams on. People also convert their lights to make it look cool but don’t understand the consequences if not installed correct. My halogens or ok. And I’m going on 60 year old eyes. Rant over.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The factory halogens are horrible...one would think you would get better lights on a $60k truck. The factory HIDs in my '13 F150 were night and day better than my '18. I converted all the bulbs over to LEDs...NOT for how it looks...and sorry if I piss off other drivers but I need to be able to see at night. Being I am in northern Alberta, there is a lot of wildlife that you DO NOT want to run into...moose, deer, the odd cow or horse even.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
The factory halogens are horrible...one would think you would get better lights on a $60k truck. The factory HIDs in my '13 F150 were night and day better than my '18. I converted all the bulbs over to LEDs...NOT for how it looks...and sorry if I piss off other drivers but I need to be able to see at night. Being I am in northern Alberta, there is a lot of wildlife that you DO NOT want to run into...moose, deer, the odd cow or horse even.
I understand people need to see at night but when I can’t see when you approach me and I crash into a tree you probably don’t care about that either. But seriously if nobody is high beaming you back you’re probably ok.. Just this morning I had to deal with an a hole with his LED BAR on. Then there are the Acura, Lexus and Audi cars that really have some factory super bright HID’s. Oh wait. They cost a lot so that’s ok to blind people.. It’s probably more of a California thing being I pass thousands of car every day I go to work. People around here only care about themselves.

·
Premium Member
7,347 Posts
NOT a California thing.

The lights or the attitude. :(

Reactions: UnkleRaRa

·
Administrator
4,079 Posts
I understand people need to see at night but when I can’t see when you approach me and I crash into a tree you probably don’t care about that either. But seriously if nobody is high beaming you back you’re probably ok.. Just this morning I had to deal with an a hole with his LED BAR on. Then there are the Acura, Lexus and Audi cars that really have some factory super bright HID’s. Oh wait. They cost a lot so that’s ok to blind people.. It’s probably more of a California thing being I pass thousands of car every day I go to work. People around here only care about themselves.
I agree with your angst! Around here, there are a bunch of arrogant red-necks with lifted trucks who swap in LED lights to their halogen fixtures but never take the time (or consideration) to buy quality bulbs or re-aim them to compensate for the additional height from the lift.
So, in agreement with Bruce, it's not just a California thing. LOL

Reactions: EcoXLT

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I feel the automobile light industry is getting a bit out of hand with how bright they can be. And the battle for how cool of headlights can we make. How did we drive at night in the 60's. Talk about poor lighting. Both my old school cars have to be back in the garage before the street lights come on after the car show is over.
AJB1205. I wasn't directing my rant at you. Just people in general. Sorry if it sounded like that.

·
Premium Member
7,347 Posts
I recently acquired a tiny, very tiny little car. It's very low to the ground and has very bright headlights for low beams. So bright that I've had a few folks flash me.

I flash em back to let them know I'm on low.

Judging from the pattern on the road I don't find evidence of them aimed high. I might try to take em down a bit anyways.

However, with me sitting so low, I'M GETTING KILLED by a large percentage of oncomers.
I've trained myself to NOT look to judge. :)

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Whitetail deer run rampant in these parts of SC. I've never not been able to see one.

Baaaaaaaaaaa
This. So no, i dont care about other people. I care about not hitting deer/moose/elk. The 3 people I pass on the way too and from town at night can deal.

I have 50 Watt Morimoto MiniD2S projectors in my Jeep and XB LED fog lights and I still wish I had more at times. Not because its cool, because the light disappears into nothingness on the long stretches of road out here.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I've never had a higher end LED light bar, but the Amazon/Ebay cheap ones dont help on the road. I had one on my jeep and the light just goes everywhere and ends up reflecting of street signs back at you and it makes things worse.

·
Administrator
7,855 Posts
I will admit, the Halogens on my 2018 can't compare to the HID's on my 2013...but in all seriousness, there are plenty of other vehicles that have stock headlights.

#firstworldproblems

1 - 20 of 28 Posts