F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Race Red XLT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 headlights started a new thing where after being on for a couple minutes both of them turn off (or at least to DRL setting) for about 10 seconds then come back on for a couple minutes in a repeated cycle. The foglights work the whole time. The passengers side has occasionally flickered for the past week or so and its also making a somewhat loud hum when on. I'm pretty sure at least the bulbs are aftermarket, maybe the whole housing. Any ideas? I saw " CANBUS anti-flicker resistor (also called a decoder)" mentioned in a similar post on here.

·
Moderstrator
1,528 Posts
Definitely sounds like a relay or other controller is going out. I've attached the Exterior Lighting chapter from the 2009 - 2014 F150 workshop manual for you. Perhaps you can use that for initial troubleshooting until someone else more knowledgeable chimes in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Race Red XLT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt pull the headlight but it looks like LED to me. I dont know what it was originally. If i can figure put how to post a vid, it picked up the noise pretty good. Sounds like its right behind the bulb.
Automotive tire Tread Automotive design Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
523 Posts
Those are definitely led. Some led bulbs have fans attached to them for cooling. It would seem like you have a failing relay or switch. The BCM could be freaking out. A good scan tool may help or it may not.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I read a couple articles about LED in halogen housings and both stated that LED’s have less lumens at as little as 50 ft away then halogens do. That’s less usable light I think. Seems weird as LED are really bright.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts