F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? Something about the heartthrob is appealing to me...don't know why. But I would prob want to get rid of the drone. Is installing a resonator hard?

'12 XLT eco: Airaid intake, LMS 91, ADD Venom front bumper, 2" level, 35x12.5 Toyo AT2 Xtreme's, 17x9 Vtec Raptor wheels, 15% front window tint

·
Registered
674 Posts
Most people confuse drone with exhaust loudness at a certain rpm range. If you don't have some sort of resonator then the exhaust is loud in the cab. I've done many variations of exhausts with and without resonators, 3" and 4", 1 and 2 resonators. To the OP, get an aero 4040xl and use it as a resonator. Your ears will thank you.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
what about replacing the stock resonator with the aero one & straight piping 3" back? Whatcha opinion or thoughts?

Sent from my space grey 5S using an aPP called Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
The aero never muffled my exhaust too much but it sure sounded good. I never ran it as the resonator with no muffler. I ran the 3030xl with no resonator and it was loud in the cab. Maybe if you swapped it as you speak, in the resonator position it will still have the great sound but less interior noise. It my opinion the aero is a superb muffler and one if the best sounding mufflers I've run. I'd swap it back in had I not spent $350 on the corsa muffler lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Most people confuse drone with exhaust loudness at a certain rpm range. If you don't have some sort of resonator then the exhaust is loud in the cab. I've done many variations of exhausts with and without resonators, 3" and 4", 1 and 2 resonators. To the OP, get an aero 4040xl and use it as a resonator. Your ears will thank you.
I have no drone what so ever and i do not have a resonator. And I can't even get a good enough video at WOT with the windows up or down to be able to here the exhaust. Cruising speeds... no drone.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
are you tuned? Do you have down pipes?

Sent from my space grey 5S using an aPP called Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
No drone maybe but loud in cab between 2500-4000, I'd bet it is. I'm not talking about actual drone, straight pipes are nearly drone free at cruise.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No drone maybe but loud in cab between 2500-4000, I'd bet it is. I'm not talking about actual drone, straight pipes are nearly drone free at cruise.
I swear it is not loud at all in cab lol I was expecting it to be but it's not. Like I said I can't even get a good enough video in cab wot to even be able to hear the exhaust.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A camera won't pick up any loud exhaust in cab. Cause mine has some volume to it when you lug and give it the pedal(not enough to downshift) but a cameras doesn't pick up any of that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

·
Registered
95 Posts
A camera won't pick up any loud exhaust in cab. Cause mine has some volume to it when you lug and give it the pedal(not enough to downshift) but a cameras doesn't pick up any of that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
True. And yea ofcourse you can hear it in the cab but with the windows up its barely. Idk all I know is IMO my exhaust sounds good to me. Because I feel like all those others just sound raspy at high rpm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts